Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Seems odd but hey, as long as the quality remains good and I can buy a new one when I'm ready I'm ok with that. I'm sure the man knows more about the automobile business than I do. Besides, I don't want to see myself coming and going at every intersection. After my trip to Maine two weeks ago, I'm on Subaru overload...they're everywhere in New England:)

·
Registered
90 Posts
I don't want to see myself coming and going at every intersection. After my trip to Maine two weeks ago, I'm on Subaru overload...they're everywhere in New England:)
That's how I felt when I got back from San Francisco and the northern California coast. I think every other car on the road there is a Subie!

·
Super Moderator
2,940 Posts
I think this is the right way to go about it. A brand is no longer niche if everybody has them IMO, such as a Toyota, Honda, Chevrolet, etc.

As for the plug-in hybrid, I'm hopeful but I want Subaru to retain the mechanical Symmetrical AWD. I'm not a fan of the front wheels driven by the ICE while the rear wheels are driven by electric motors like the VIZIV concepts have showcased. (For those who missed out, I want myself a plug-in Subaru Crosstrek Hybrid w/ the full mechanical Symmetrical AWD).

·
Registered
811 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm in total agreement with how Subaru plans to grow (or not grow...). My only concern is that due to their future limited production, the company would charge a hefty premium for the brand.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I'm in total agreement with how Subaru plans to grow (or not grow...). My only concern is that due to their future limited production, the company would charge a hefty premium for the brand.

I agree, as much as I like what I am hearing, this strategy could be a recipe for higher demand and limited supply. Surely, Subaru is at a critical moment in their history and where to go from here will shape their future.
I believe if Subaru gets too big and loses focus, it won't be Subaru.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
318 Posts
IMO Subaru has already lost a lot of its niche-ness. But that's not to say it won't come back around. They could still easily offer a WRX hatch, Legacy GT and wagon, Baja, etc. These are the types of things that made them niche.

They've admitted that they're focusing on higher average transaction price and not total sales with this statement. What better way to increase ATP and niche-ness than to offer an XT or true-STi version of everything you sell?

·
Registered
11 Posts
I'm curious about their plans for the future of the Crosstrek. It seems that they are firmly against offering the Crosstrek with an optional higher output engine. My take is that they want to keep the Crosstrek as an introductory level platfirm and chanel prospective buyers who want more performance to the Forester or the WRX. It is a sound strategy, but as one of those prospective buyers, I would really rather buy a 180HP+ Crosstrek if it were available. Seems like the existing 2.5 liter and trans in the Forester would be great in the Crosstrek. Of course, if a WRX-type Crosstrek were available, that would be a serious contender for my money.

·
Registered
811 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Although I don't know for certain, I think it's probably due to the need to meet EPA mpg and emission requirements for their fleet. Whether it would increase overall sales is the question. Subaru's top selling vehicle, the Forester is already divided into two groups; 2.5 and 2.0 Turbo XT with two distinct price points. Having another more powerful Crosstrek may only end up taking sales away from the Forester or other Crosstreks. But then again, they may surprise everyone and offer one.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I tend to agree this is a wise decision for quality issues. Sometimes when a company produces a product that "sells like hotcakes" the rush to increase #'s can hurt quality. The fact that they set a max production level, and are making plans around it, seems to show that unit quality matters to them. That's actually quite refreshing to see in a auto manufacture. :)

Concerning the niche status, well that's already a lost cause. Come to my neck of the woods and you'll see Subaru's everywhere. Pretty sure a lot of the Northeast is like that. The dealer told me that my Crosstrek was the 562nd they sold that year. Now considering the 2015's hit the lots late in the model year that's pretty damn impressive. Also explains why I can't throw a rock in any direction without hitting a Crosstrek... :D

·
Super Moderator
2,940 Posts
Honestly, the Crosstrek is positioned in an odd spot.

It's a compact crossover not quite as big as the typical compact (C-segment) crossovers to include the Forester, and it's big compared to the subcompact (B-segment) crossovers such as the Honda HR-V.

Much like the over-categorization that automakers sometimes make the mistake of doing (such as when American car companies had multiple luxury brands under the same umbrella), the Crosstrek has no actual direct competitors. Because it lies between subcompact crossovers and compact crossovers, it can be cross-shopped (no pun intended) with both segment competitors.

It's also literally the slowest vehicle Subaru sells in North America, though as many of us can attest to, its FB20 engine is plenty enough.

Despite these factors, the Crosstrek is outselling the Impreza that it's based on. It's also one of the most fuel-efficient compact AWD crossovers and I don't want a high-output engine to remove it from that position.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Honestly, the Crosstrek is positioned in an odd spot.
Actually most "professional" car reviewers agree with you. Yet this odd spot appeals to so many of us. Why? :confused:

I'd argue because the Crosstrek has the advantages of a compact car (size and fuel efficiency) and a small SUV (go anywhere AWD and some cargo capability). Honestly my Crosstrek feels like a larger vehicle, of course that's personal opinion. It also looks more rugged than some of the other offerings, that often are referred to as "cute utes". Of course, the very competitive price has a lot to do with it's appeal as well. :D

Subaru has done a good job as of late attracting new buyers, like me, that otherwise would have purchased something else. I was seriously considering a Mazda CX-5 or another Toyota Tacoma, but am instead a happy Crosstrek owner. Again I'm really happy they aren't trying to milk this prosperity at a possible loss of quality. :eek:

·
Registered
14 Posts
Actually most "professional" car reviewers agree with you. Yet this odd spot appeals to so many of us. Why? :confused:

I'd argue because the Crosstrek has the advantages of a compact car (size and fuel efficiency) and a small SUV (go anywhere AWD and some cargo capability). Honestly my Crosstrek feels like a larger vehicle, of course that's personal opinion. It also looks more rugged than some of the other offerings, that often are referred to as "cute utes". Of course, the very competitive price has a lot to do with it's appeal as well. :D

Subaru has done a good job as of late attracting new buyers, like me, that otherwise would have purchased something else. I was seriously considering a Mazda CX-5 or another Toyota Tacoma, but am instead a happy Crosstrek owner. Again I'm really happy they aren't trying to milk this prosperity at a possible loss of quality. :eek:
Totally agree---and the 2018 redesign puts it clearly well ahead of the other sub-compact SUV crossovers. Hope the 2020 doesn't have somthing important that I will have to try to retrofit to my 2019.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts