Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My local Subaru dealer offers two types of oil service: basic or premium. Other than the synthetic oil, the service department seems to make a difference between two types of Subaru oil filters. What do you think? Do you think the premium service (as presented below) is pure price gouging? Your advice is appreciated. I'm also not quite sure what oil/filter came with my new XV.

BASIC OIL AND FILTER SERVICE - $47.00

This includes: Drain old oil and install 4 litres of Kendall 50/50 Synthetic Blend 5W30 oil, install new genuine Subaru SIX STAR oil filter, new drain plug gasket, all fluid levels checked, and adjust tire pressures to the recommended levels.

PREMIUM OIL AND FILTER SERVICE - $85.00

This includes: Drain old oil and install 5.5 Litres of Mobil 1 or Kendall 5W30 Synthetic Motor Oil, new original equipment Subaru oil filter, new drain plug gasket, all fluid levels checked, tire pressure check, and complete 30-point vehicle inspection.

·
Premium Member
2,941 Posts
I have never heard of a Subaru SIX STAR oil filter...

When it comes to oil filters, I HIGHLY RECOMMEND everyone sticks to Subaru OEM or a quality brand like Purolator.
Purolator is one of a very small handful of oil filter companies that makes oil filters with a bypass valve specified for Subaru vehicles. (In fact, they used to make OEM oil filters for Subaru of America.) Also, there is an STI (Subaru Tecnica International) oil filter made for sporty or competition use, but those are massively overpriced and are suspected to be a Denso-made oil filter (not that that's really a bad thing.)
Most other oil filters are generic oil filters that do not meet Subaru's bypass valve pressure specification.

Also, between the blue and black Subaru OEM oil filters, the black ones are manufactured by Tokyo Roki and are highly desirable (and considered the best), while the blue one, while adequate, is one made for Subaru by Honeywell.

For convenience, here's the oil filter that should be used for the XV Crosstrek here in North America:
Tokyo Roki Subaru OEM black oil filter for FB20 engine
part number (P/N) 15208AA160

Now do note oil filters for the FB engines are supposedly NOT compatible with oil filters for EJ engines!

As for what oil to choose, I would stick with full-synthetic, especially since the owner's manual specifies synthetic motor oil. Like any motor oil, be sure to check if it meets the SM/SN API or ILSAC GF-4/GF-5 service grades.

Sorry for the info, but in summary, if you're having only the dealer service it, do the premium oil and filter service. Or somehow ask them to do the regular oil change with synthetic and the black Subaru OEM filter.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks AWDfreak. Extremely informative and useful. Very appreciated.

I think $89.00 is expensive for an oil change. I wouldn't be surprised if our local Subaru dealer's service department is the world's most expensive!

·
Premium Member
2,941 Posts
ClubCrosstrek said:
Say you take your cars to places like Valvoline/Jiffy-Lube. What kind of filter do you think they use? Are they aware of Subaru's bypass valve pressure specification?

Good info.
Usually oil change places seem to use whatever fits (so typically a generic filter), not necessarily what is OEM-spec. So no, they aren't usually aware of the bypass valve pressure spec and simply use what fits.

One instance I actually did get my oil changed by someone else was when my Outback still ran. I looked up the oil filter part number of the filter they installed, and turned out it was the same exact part number as the Purolator filter specified for Subaru engines. And turns out it was a rebranded Purolator (I compared a genuine Purolator to it, same exact thing!), so thankfully for me, that specific local oil change shop gave me a proper quality oil filter.

Gargantua said:
Thanks AWDfreak. Extremely informative and useful. Very appreciated.

I think $89.00 is expensive for an oil change. I wouldn't be surprised if our local Subaru dealer's service department is the world's most expensive!
No problem, just a Subaru enthusiast trying to help.

It definitely is. But as I once found out doing an oil change myself with synthetic, it actually does get pricey with synthetic motor oil. Even synthetic blend is a bit pricey.

It seems most auto service shops offer oil changes not necessarily for profit, but a doorway to profit by finding things wrong with your vehicle (or in some unfortunate circumstances, fix problems that never existed).

If you have the option to do your own oil changes, I would recommend it. However, make sure to save ALL receipts for motor oil and oil filters purchased. If an aftermarket filter is used, it would help your case to get the exact specifications of the filter to further prove the filter you purchased meets Subaru OEM specifications (which oil filter manufacturers such as Purolator do have available to the public).

·
Premium Member
2,941 Posts
What the...?

I know it's perfectly safe to run a xW-30 motor oil, but I'm pretty sure the recommended SAE weight is 0W-20 under normal conditions and use. Having the lighter weight should help with fuel efficiency, plus it's the viscosity that the FB engine is designed to run on.

·
Registered
927 Posts
AWDFreak.... GREAT info!!!

Have you seen the ebay sellers selling 3 and 6 packs of the OEM filters? They list the correct part number... Just want to make sure they are legit....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Subaru-XV-Crosstrek-Oil-Filter-3-pack-for-2012-2013-non-turbo-part-15208AA160-/360571354319?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item53f3ba3ccf&vxp=mtr

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SUBARU-XV-Crosstrek-OIL-FILTER-6PK-w-Crush-Rings-2012-13-non-turbo-15208AA160-/360572184426?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item53f3c6e76a&vxp=mtr

I haven't priced them individually yet, so I really don't know if these are deals or not....

and what is up with 'CRUSH RING'.... I take it this is changed with every filter change?

I do all my own maintenance on all my vehicles, so I usually stock up on grease, lubes, oils and filters... any specifics you are willing to share on types/brands? ( I'm being a bit lazy, lol.. I know I can look it up) What is your preferences?

Thanks

·
Registered
714 Posts
Just so everyone knows, the black TR filter (15208AA160) has been superseded to a blue honeywell filter ending in 15A. The TR filter will no longer be shipped to your dealer, they will receive the blue 15A honeywell filter. They may have some back stock of the black TR filter but any orders they place from here on will be the blue honeywell filters. I'm sure that goes for the online sellers as well as they source the filters usually from local dealers at wholesale.

Also, the blue honeywell filter ending in 12A for the EJ series motors has the same specifications as the one for the new cars, the only difference is height of the filter. We have many customers who use the new style filter for the EJ motors with zero issues. There's no point in using the 12A in place of the 15A however because all you're doing is reducing filtration surface.

·
Registered
927 Posts
Thanks for the info. Much appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone 4s using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2,941 Posts
Subir_roo said:
Just so everyone knows, the black TR filter (15208AA160) has been superseded to a blue honeywell filter ending in 15A. The TR filter will no longer be shipped to your dealer, they will receive the blue 15A honeywell filter. They may have some back stock of the black TR filter but any orders they place from here on will be the blue honeywell filters. I'm sure that goes for the online sellers as well as they source the filters usually from local dealers at wholesale.

Also, the blue honeywell filter ending in 12A for the EJ series motors has the same specifications as the one for the new cars, the only difference is height of the filter. We have many customers who use the new style filter for the EJ motors with zero issues. There's no point in using the 12A in place of the 15A however because all you're doing is reducing filtration surface.
Wow, didn't know that. That's news to me!

So for now, seems the only oil filters the FB engines can run are the two OEM filters. Purolator hasn't released specs for the new FB-specific oil filter (supposedly going to carry the L14615 P/N) and it isn't even available yet.

There is a Purolator for the FA20 non-turbo (BRZ/FR-S/GT86), however, it's not quite at the 20 PSI bypass valve pressure specification...

·
Registered
714 Posts
Yeah, I have yet to find an aftermarket that will work. But working for a dealer I'll naturally stick to the OEM filters for the life of the car.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Subir_roo said:

Great information, thanks.

I guess I'm good not to worry since I bought the "maintanence plan" from Subaru and have all my services covered through 60k. I spent $1500 incorporated through my monthly so it was much of a difference and covered their 30k service which, as ou all know, cost an arm and a leg at the dealership. But now I don't have to worry about shelling out $$ for future services.

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
spyder720 said:
Subir_roo said:

Great information, thanks.

I guess I'm good not to worry since I bought the "maintanence plan" from Subaru and have all my services covered through 60k. I spent $1500 incorporated through my monthly so it was much of a difference and covered their 30k service which, as ou all know, cost an arm and a leg at the dealership. But now I don't have to worry about shelling out $$ for future services.
I don't remember my dealer offering me that as an option. I probably would have taken it because $1500 extra over the life of my loan is totally worth not having to shell out the cash each time.

·
Registered
927 Posts
The maintenance plan was offered to me by I declined. I like doing my own maintenance. I hate to say it... I don't trust dealerships or shops in general. There are a few I do trust... Since I know owners and employees personally.

·
Registered
714 Posts
If you're going to do your own maintenance just be sure you save EVERY receipt for EVERY quart of oil and filter you use. You have to be able to sow documented history if you ever have a warranty claim, and without receipts they will deny any warranty on the spot. Even with receipts it can still be hard. I don't trust lube shops either, I've seen quite a few engines destroyed by our local Jiffy Lube and other shops. I'm fine with the dealer, they'll stand behind any work they do as long as you have a good dealer and all your service records are easy to access.

·
Registered
927 Posts
Oh definitely. I record all maintenance and mileage in a log and receipts accompany the logs

·
Registered
111 Posts
Xtrekr said:
The maintenance plan was offered to me by I declined. I like doing my own maintenance. I hate to say it... I don't trust dealerships or shops in general. There are a few I do trust... Since I know owners and employees personally.

I know what you mean about trusting the people doing the work. As far as oil changes go, that's easy, I've done them in the past. But when I was stuck with a $650.00 60k service I thought that sucked. Being able to finance all my services and not worry about shelling out the cash for it works for me financially. Plus all I have to do is schedule it, drop it off and pick it up at the end of the day. It's a total win win for me. And the fact that the dealership is doing the work gives me the peace of mind about any warranty work.

·
Registered
567 Posts
I just did an oil change with filter for about 60 beans 5.1 qts of Castrol Titanium full synthetic and a royal purple filter. It was hands down the easiest oil change I have ever done. No raising of the vehicle and the filter is right there in front. Awesome!!!! Another reason I like this car thing.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts