Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner
41 - 44 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
I just picked up my 2019 Crosstrek from having paint work done. I had to fight Subaru of America to pay for it. I had several spots on the roof that were cracking and bubbling at less than 8 months old. She is just 2 weeks past her one year mark and when we did the walk around with the service guy sure enough my husband found ANOTHER spot on the door cracking to the primer. I am so PISSED OFF!!! It doesnt have 8k miles on it!!! It is not just the orange ones either as mine is a white. AND I found out they are using the same damn paint to repaint it so what do I have to look forward to here in a few short months?? Will this continue all around the car?? Is this a defect as it isn't chipping it is pealing and cracking and bubbling. SO I am back to square 1 and fighting again for more paint work. What happens in a couple months will it be the hood then the other doors?? This is ridiculous and Subaru should be ashamed. This is my first EVER NEW NEW car in my life and is totally paid off. I was so excited to get it and now this. I have been in tears about it and sick of it!!!

·
Registered
4 Posts
You need to determine what the failure mode is. Go to a reputable local body shop and have them diagnose what is the root cause of what you are observing. It most likely is not the paint itself. Ask the body shop if the car was repainted. Your car could of been damaged somehow on the boat or elsewhere. I doubt if it is the paint itself but most likely a prep issue. Spend a few dollars on a "Universal Clip-type LED Cellphone Microscope #9882-W" on Amazon and you can take pictures for documentation and to determine the cause.

·
Registered
7 Posts
In addition to what AWDfreak said, you would obviously want to fix the chips first. You may want to give Dr. ColorChip a try.

Dr. ColorChip Automotive Paint Chip Repair Kit - Dr. ColorChip: Automotive Paint Chip Repair Systems

Thanks Hacksaw, just picked up some for my Dark Grey Metallic 2018. Just hit 90kmi, had it climb up 3 different mountains, ran through mid Atlantic to New England for late summer camping and mid blizzard snowboarding about 6 times. Also had a car wash company that doesn't believe in wasting the cost of a Pre-Rinse as well. Got a whole bunch of dings from all kinds or crap just small enough to notice and drive me crazy. Had me searching for forums and fixes since I knew I wasn't the only one.

I'll be sure to apply the fix AFTER the next 2 weekend of camping. It's where I got my first scratches down the side 4 months into ownership in the first place.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I work in a bodyshop as a painter and have been doing so for over 15 years. I have done collision repair work on new cars and now specialize in custom paint. All new cars are what is called a base coat/ clearcoat finish. The base coat is your color and the clear is what makes it shine and protects the color and metal surface. As in all other businesses, car companies are always looking to save money. A very easy way to do so is to cut down on the amount of materials used. If they cut out a pint or quart of color per car, that ends up being millions of dollars in savings. Because of this, colors don't look as good, you can usually see what we call blotch, which is the uneven spotty appearance of the color, and if you look throughout your car you will find many areas that don't even have color on them. Usually door jambs by the hinges and under hood areas, trunk areas very known for this. Most companies now use a tinted primer that is similar to the color of the car, therefore even less color on the car now. Then we get to the clearcoat. The more clearcoat you have (within proper manufacture specs). The better durability and appearance you will have. Less clear, less durability, less shine. Also there are different types of clear out there that the car manufacturers use. GM uses what is called a ceramic clear that is very hard and extremely durable. If we don't put this back on when doing a repair, it can actually void the warranty on the body. Most car companies don't use this clear. Higher end cars like Mercedes, bmw, Porsche all use this clear. GM is the only domestic company unknown of that uses this clear. As far as the quality of the paint it self goes, almost all companies use either PPG or BASF paint when building the cars. PPG is the best in the US and BASF/Glasurit is king in the European market. It all comes down to not having enough material on the vehicles. Next time you see a silver car, really stare at the paint and see how bad it really does look. You can see ought through it. His is also why you have so much orange peel it rough texture of the clearcoat on cars. Less material, means it doesn't flow as much. Paint nowadays is the best ever made hands down for durability, appearance and for the environment. It just needs to be used correctly. If manufacturers start putting more material on, then the paint Would hold up better but the cost of the cars will go up much higher. If anyone else has questions regarding paint, I would be more then happy to answer them. Also one other note. Someone mentioned putting a good wax on the car when you get it. This is kind of a touchy area. Your not supposed to apply wax over fresh paint for 6 months after application. This allows the solvents from the painting process to fully escape from the finish, allowing the paint to properly cure and harden. If you apply the wax to soon, it locks the solvents in the paint and prevents the paint from curing properly and can lead to paint problems. Everything from chipping easy, scratching easy, delamming (pealing) etc. when you get your new car, look on the tag in the door jamb. It has a manufacture date for your car which is written as a month then year (ex 01/16). Wait till 6 months after this to wax it. You can use a polish on it up to that point. Polish is mush different then wax. Same applies if you get bodywork done on your car, wait till 6 months after the repairs are made to wax and panels that were painted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks man! Always good to have some solid perspective from expert background chime in with the rabble! On this topic I'm just the rabble.

Dark Grey Metallic looks amazing! And definitely scrapes easily to a light light grey just to make you crazy.

41 - 44 of 44 Posts