Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

1 - 20 of 94 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there OEM HIDs on the Subaru XV ?
if not what headlight bulb does it use ?

Will the Osram Rally H4 be too much ?
I want to use this , but I am not sure if it'll melt the XV
" <b>Osram Rallye 70/65w +50 H4 bulb</b>Osram Rallye 70/65w +50 H4 bulb
Osram's 70/65W ultra high efficacy +50 H4 bulb, for motorcycles and special-service use, produces more light than any 60/55w bulb: 2000/1350 lumens, high/low beam. Please note that these figures are at 13.2V. This bulb does have a shorter life than does the OEM bulb this replaces. "

quoted from Candlepower ( a good place to buy bulbs )

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
mrzcai415 said:
Is there OEM HIDs on the Subaru XV ?
if not what headlight bulb does it use ?

Will the Osram Rally H4 be too much ?
I want to use this , but I am not sure if it'll melt the XV
" <b>Osram Rallye 70/65w +50 H4 bulb</b>Osram Rallye 70/65w +50 H4 bulb
Osram's 70/65W ultra high efficacy +50 H4 bulb, for motorcycles and special-service use, produces more light than any 60/55w bulb: 2000/1350 lumens, high/low beam. Please note that these figures are at 13.2V. This bulb does have a shorter life than does the OEM bulb this replaces. "

quoted from Candlepower ( a good place to buy bulbs )
I'm trying to find an owners' manual online. My Subaru dealer doesn't have any in stock yet so they were no help. I'll try to dig up some info on it!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What I meant was I purchased my OSRAM Rallye H4 from a place online call " CANDLEPOWER" ,
but now after doing a fair bit of research I think my next course of ACTION will be a retrofit.

I am currently thinking about buying a Morimoto Mini H1 kit from the retrofitsource to go HID,
so basicly I need to take off bumper , take the lights out , bake the lights or heat gun to remove
headlight cover to install the Morimoto Mini projectors into the light housing.

So much fun in this lil DIY weekend project I can't wait.

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
mrzcai415 said:
What I meant was I purchased my OSRAM Rallye H4 from a place online call " CANDLEPOWER" ,
but now after doing a fair bit of research I think my next course of ACTION will be a retrofit.

I am currently thinking about buying a Morimoto Mini H1 kit from the retrofitsource to go HID,
so basicly I need to take off bumper , take the lights out , bake the lights or heat gun to remove
headlight cover to install the Morimoto Mini projectors into the light housing.

So much fun in this lil DIY weekend project I can't wait.
That sounds awesome, please take pics and post them up if you have time! I, myself, am not very good with car modifications but our other admin, Thelosis is very good. He would probably like a project like this.

·
Premium Member
2,941 Posts
There is a difference between a "conversion" by slapping in HID bulbs and a genuine HID conversion.

Slapping in HID bulbs with reflectors designed for regular headlight bulbs isn't optimal. The light distribution becomes improper, it's not aimed correctly for the light output, and you'll just end up pissing off everyone around you.

Also, based off of what I read, a blue tint (if you are getting a bulb of that nature), is actually less effective than a more white or yellow-ish tint. In theory, white and yellow work better in inclement weather conditions. Also, blue tends to be harsher on the eyes.

The only true HID conversion would be to buy LHD OEM HID headlight assemblies. JDM (or other RHD market) HID headlight assemblies won't cut it because they are optimized to prevent blinding oncoming drivers on the right side.

At least that's what I think. I'd be glad if someone could give further input on this topic.

·
Registered
128 Posts
As far as I know, the US-spec XV does not have the HID(Xenon) option like canada/europe/asian market . . bummer because i really wanted those as an oem option for my new car..

·
Registered
714 Posts
AWDfreak said:
There is a difference between a "conversion" by slapping in HID bulbs and a genuine HID conversion.

Slapping in HID bulbs with reflectors designed for regular headlight bulbs isn't optimal. The light distribution becomes improper, it's not aimed correctly for the light output, and you'll just end up pissing off everyone around you.

Also, based off of what I read, a blue tint (if you are getting a bulb of that nature), is actually less effective than a more white or yellow-ish tint. In theory, white and yellow work better in inclement weather conditions. Also, blue tends to be harsher on the eyes.

The only true HID conversion would be to buy LHD OEM HID headlight assemblies. JDM (or other RHD market) HID headlight assemblies won't cut it because they are optimized to prevent blinding oncoming drivers on the right side.

At least that's what I think. I'd be glad if someone could give further input on this topic.
You're spot on on this. Especially the part about blue tinted bulbs. Once you move past a certain point (about the same color temp as sunlight) you're getting into light output that isn't really usable and can actually diminish in overall output when the color temperature gets to high (too blue).

·
Registered
111 Posts
My 2006 WRX had an aftermarket HID it and as cool as it looked it didn't light the road well enough. I ended up pulling it out and swapping back to standard bulbs, which was way more effective than the HID that was installed. Plus, when I pulled the HID kit it was so Jerry rigged that I'm surprised it never sparked and set my car on fire.

·
Registered
53 Posts
H15A said:
As far as I know, the US-spec XV does not have the HID(Xenon) option like canada/europe/asian market . . bummer because i really wanted those as an oem option for my new car..
Might be a bit of work, but you could order a set of Canadian headlights & HID, since it's a factory option there & LHD.
You'd at least be OEM, just not factory installed.

·
Registered
714 Posts
Again, someone just needs to get some part numbers and I'll see if they're in the US system. If a Canadian member (Do we have any?) can go to the dealer and get the numbers for us that would rock!

·
Registered
128 Posts
Do the canadian OEM hids have projectors? Or do they just use reflector bowls? I read that they are self leveling, which is kinda cool. Just gona be very pricy to get the parts..

HoustonXV said:
Might be a bit of work, but you could order a set of Canadian headlights & HID, since it's a factory option there & LHD.
You'd at least be OEM, just not factory installed.

1 - 20 of 94 Posts