Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've just ordered a premium Subaxtreme bulbar, which should hopefully be ready in a couple of weeks. I'm going for a black powder coat finish (tough and easily repaired) and polished tubes. I'm retaining my fog lights in the new bar. I asked David (the proprietor) to send me a side-on photo so that I could superimpose it over a standard front end to gauge the difference in approach angles.

The standard XV's paltry 21.5 degree approach angle is raised to a more respectable 25.5 degrees with the new bar. This is more than the MY13 Forester whose native approach angle is 24.8 degrees. With this, I'm happier. The eventual 2" suspension lift should make it even better still. The great thing is that the clearance under the bar is greater too - meaning that you can nudge closer to those rocks you need to climb over.

All in all - with the skid plate and new AT's it will be a safer and more capable car off road.

Attachments

·
Registered
27 Posts
Thanks for that info it's helping me out with my decision about this bar also (now I have to cut front bumper anyway )

·
Registered
800 Posts
ClubCrosstrek said:
I don't know much about these at all. Does it replace the front bumper or do you just cut the bumper for the bar to fit around?
I'm in the same boat. Would like to learn more about this!

·
Registered
714 Posts
You have to cut the upper half of the bumper to fit above this. The part around the headlights and grille basically. This replaces the entire lower section of the bumper with a full metal replacement. I'd love to get my hands on one but the whole shipping a giant bumper from Australia makes it way too much money.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Subir_roo said:
You have to cut the upper half of the bumper to fit above this. The part around the headlights and grille basically. This replaces the entire lower section of the bumper with a full metal replacement. I'd love to get my hands on one but the whole shipping a giant bumper from Australia makes it way too much money.
I agree, This thing is awesome. but shipping would probably be killer. Im sure soon enough someone will make something very similar in the states!

·
Registered
38 Posts
That is exactlly what I'm looking for! Definitely a furture purchase. Thanks for posting.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes, the lower half of the bumper assembly is cut and entirely removed. I'll ask if they have plans to ship to the USA, or at least strike a deal with a local manufacturer over there to reproduce the bar locally. I can't make a promise, obviously, but I will enquire. Offroading is a big pastime in this country. For our population size we have an incredibly active 4WD accessories industry because inversely proportional to our population size is our land mass. It's huge, and we love to explore it. :)

·
Registered
714 Posts
I sorely miss Australia. Spent some time living in Sydney, then Noosa for a bit. Used to go to Fraser Island and drive a bunch there. Also lived in Hobart for a bit!

·
Registered
603 Posts
This bar looks great. I saw where it did say it's "air bag" tested. But, I'm wondering what exactly does that mean? Would it's installation affect the usual deployment of the air bags or in some other way prevent or delay them from deploying as they should? What about any voiding any warranty?

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
avimia said:
This bar looks great. I saw where it did say it's "air bag" tested. But, I'm wondering what exactly does that mean? Would it's installation affect the usual deployment of the air bags or in some other way prevent or delay them from deploying as they should? What about any voiding any warranty?
Yes, it's constructed with a concertina interface to the chassis, meaning that its designed to deform on impact to allow the airbags to trigger properly. Construction standards here in Australia are very, very high when it comes to things like this. Arguably, we're now more litigious as a nation than the US, so safety is número uno.

·
Registered
714 Posts
Omaroo is right, Aust has VERY stringent safety laws pertaining to vehicles. Trust me, if it's good enough for them, it's good enough for us ;)

·
Registered
603 Posts
Excellent information Omaroo. Thank you very much. Had no idea
The safety standards in Oz were so stringent. Sounds a lot like the US.

Any idea or official Subie statements on how it affects the warranty?

·
Registered
714 Posts
Well, the only thing it would potentially have any bearing on would be the airbag or maybe front suspension warranty. It would be hard for Subaru to prove that an aftermarket bumper caused a failure though.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Most 4WD (or in this case AWD) manufacturers who sell vehicles into the Australian market expect a good number of their products to be modified with standard "country" upgrades such as bull bars, higher-spec gas shocks, drawer systems, suspension height adjustments (up to two inches, total, by the rules) and lighting systems. You really don't see too many completely unmodified vehicles out bush. Many will buy a brand new Nissan Patrol or Toyota Landcruiser and take it off the lot and straight to companies such as ARB to have it customised. If the manufacturers kicked up a fuss about it there'd be an almighty uproar.

·
Premium Member
2,941 Posts
Well looks like I'm going to have to start a "after I get my Subaru XV and drive it past the warranty" modification list!!!

I learned quite a lot from this thread, thanks so much for sharing! I'm even more jealous of Australia than before!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts