Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering if anyone plans on switching to summer tires when the warm weather hits? I have always used all-season tires but maybe I might actually do summer tires this season. Anyone else?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
714 Posts
Spyder, where do you live? Your money may be better spent on good winter tires first and wearing out those all seasons before you invest in summer tires.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
714 Posts
The AT-S is a great all around tire. I only ask because the tires on the car currently are not super stellar in the snow. Depending on where you live it might be better to grab a set of snows and wait until the all seasons are worn out to get summers. Then you can grab a second set of wheels and have a dedicated summer and snow set!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,240 Posts
Subir_roo said:
The AT-S is a great all around tire. I only ask because the tires on the car currently are not super stellar in the snow. Depending on where you live it might be better to grab a set of snows and wait until the all seasons are worn out to get summers. Then you can grab a second set of wheels and have a dedicated summer and snow set!
Yeah, I definitely agree. I am in Los Angeles so we don't see snow. I don't know tires that well, what's the difference between a summer tire and something like the AT-S? Would the AT-S not preform well in rain (something we also very rarely get in LA)?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
714 Posts
The AT-S does fine in rain. Generally an A/T tire will be mud and snow rated and use a different rubber compound than the pure summer tire. Some summer tires do have good wet road ratings. The issue is generally with cold temps and ice/snow. The rubber compounds used in summer tires do not preform well in those conditions.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,240 Posts
Subir_roo said:
The AT-S does fine in rain. Generally an A/T tire will be mud and snow rated and use a different rubber compound than the pure summer tire. Some summer tires do have good wet road ratings. The issue is generally with cold temps and ice/snow. The rubber compounds used in summer tires do not preform well in those conditions.
Got ya, thanks! I have an odd obsession with the AT-S's...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
714 Posts
It really is a good tire! So you're obsession is totally well founded.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
714 Posts
Yup! I'm just here to justify spending large sums of money!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
927 Posts
Subir_roo said:
Yup! I'm just here to justify spending large sums of money!
Oh sure!!! We love when OTHER PEOPLE spend our money for us... Lol!

I gotta a guy at work always building my Jeep up for me with MY money..." Oh!! You need to get this... Now!!! It,s only $1299!!!"


Sent from my iPad II using Tapatalk
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
714 Posts
I wont MAKE you spend anything ;)

Friendly suggestions on the other hand may lead to large spending on your behalf.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
927 Posts
I know how it works..... " I HIGHLY recommend this..." (Sound familiar?). Lol!!!


Sent from my iPad II using Tapatalk
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
243 Posts
When I think Summer tires, I think tires with a large sticky contact patch that would be terrible in snow. Not sure why we'd need these on low horsepower AWD cars.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
714 Posts
Maybe not to that extent. But one of the most important items concerning a cars handling is the tires. So a good stiff tire in the summer will handle much better on our cars than a soft all season tire will.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I'm in San Jose CA so I don't see any snow unless I'm going to Tahoe. I'll probably fork over some cash for a good summer tire and when the rainy season hits full force again, swap em out for the stock tires (that is assuming my wife lets me do that and allow me to store the tires in our garage).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
714 Posts
Find a nice sheet, cover them with that and throw glass top on it then call it a "table" and she'll never know! Disclaimer: I tried this on my GF and it didn't work at all. But I have 3 sets of wheels/tires in the garage anyway!
 
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Top