Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've noticed that ever since I drove my XV off the lot, the back left tire makes a strange creaking sound every time I get in or out of the car. I figured it might just be the suspension loosening up, but even after my rugged trip in the desert, it still makes that creaking sound. I'm not sure where it's coming from. It may be from the suspension or one of the CV joints, but it's really starting to worry me. I thought I'd post here to see if anyone else has this "problem" before I go to the dealership.

·
Registered
57 Posts
No problems like that here..I would bring it in

Doesnt sound like a big deal but might as well have them fix the problem instead of trying to figure it out yourself

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sounds like a good idea. I hope there wasn't something wrong with the car that might have happened during shipping. It also seems like the alignment has been off ever since I drove it off the lot. I've never owned a Subaru before, or an AWD car, so I'm not sure if the alignment is bad or it's just the front diff pulling to the right.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Mine has pulled to the right from day one.
They finally got it close to neutral about a yr. ago then
when had it in for new steering wheel (peeling) it came back
pulling right again. It's been in 3 times for the problem and I think
today they got it right, so to speak.

Setting it to factory specs doesn't work.

·
Registered
57 Posts
being a tech that really doesnt make much sense..esp since mine has never done that and i have not talked to anyone who has had that problem besides you two lol

there has to be a reason..a fixable reason..that the vehicle is pulling to the right

i mean the road does crown to the right so its normal for a SLIGHT bit of guiding right..but i wouldnt say its a PULL or even that you would have to correct it

id say bring it to a different dealer if they cant "find the problem"..thats usually what we say when the master/lead tech of the dealership cant find the issue and SOA doesnt have a cure yet..always worth trying different techs at another dealer

·
Registered
259 Posts
No creaking or squeaking here. I did however have the right "pull" when driving. It was a constant pull and I always had to keep a constant left turn pressure. On my last oil change I asked them to check it out and the tech confirmed and fixed it. Only thing in the notes is "Vehicle tracks right on level road. After rotation, tire pressure check, and alignment vehicle now tracks straight on level road."

I can take my hands off the wheel in a parking lot now and it drives straight where before it would drift right.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I haven't had time to take it into the dealership, but I'm hoping to do it tomorrow or Friday. I went to America's Tire and they did a free air check/refill to spec. It still pulls. I know the road crowns, but even driving closest to the center causes it to pull. I need to correct or constantly keep left turn pressure. I'm afraid that if I take it in after a month of ownership, they'll say it's my fault for misalignment.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Theres still a warranty on it..no issues should be your problem or concern..bring it to them, tell them the problem andtell them to fix it..

It shouldnt happen under any driving conditions the vehicle was made for..they WILL fix it without questions asked..

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
SubieXVdgm said:
Theres still a warranty on it..no issues should be your problem or concern..bring it to them, tell them the problem andtell them to fix it..

It shouldnt happen under any driving conditions the vehicle was made for..they WILL fix it without questions asked..
Hopefully the muffler delete won't give them a reason to void the warranty. That happened to my Silverado's electrical system warranty; they voided it due to an aftermarket head unit.

·
Registered
57 Posts
They wont void the warranty for a suspension issue due to removing a muffler I promise..the two have nothing to do with each other..

Dealers are a lot more lenient than you think with that type of stuff..unless they can prove that what you changed is a direct cause of the issue, they have no right to void a warranty..

No worries man just bring it in :)

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Alright cool lol. I'll have to take it in on Monday morning. Hopefully they won't be so swamped. I also need a car :p. I'll report back tomorrow afternoonish about the situation with this awkward creaking. Thanks for the words of reassurance on the warranty.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Alright everybody. I went to the dealership today to get the car checked out. They needed help to replicate the problem, so I did. The master tech said that the rubber bushings in the suspension were dried out, so he sprayed a silicon lubricant on all of the rear suspension components. I've yet to hear another creak in the rear!

Oh, and he also said the muffler delete doesn't void my warranty, and he actually complimented me on how nice it sounds! ;D

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
It's been a couple of weeks and the creaking has returned. Took her in for the first service and mentioned that the creaking came back. Same rep and same tech were there. They couldn't quite figure it out, so they did the same thing; lube everything they possibly could even though nothing was dried out. I was advised to bring it back if the problem persists. I have no idea what it could be. They're reasoning is that the suspension is decompressing. I told him that it sounded like someone was getting off a spring mattress. Then he said it has to be something else.

We'll see where this goes.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts