Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Posted this on amazon where I bought the TailVeil thought someone here might like to see it as well. This review is based on one use on the crosstrek, one night in lousy weather (rained pretty much the whole time, not heavy, but steady).

The tent comes in a drawstring bag which is kind of light weight along with enough small metal stakes for all the stake down points (7? I think). The rainfly comes in a plain clear plastic bag, no drawstring or way to close it, along with enough stakes to tie it down.

The solid material area of the tent (and rainfly) is pretty thin, I can already see some small areas that look like it's wearing thru (this may be my imagination). The mesh area is a softer material. The floor looks like a fairly heavy duty plastic type tarp, and water proof.

Setup was fairly simple, even including the rainfly I think it only took 15 minutes. Although I did practice a few times in the driveway before going to the campground for real.

So what did I think of it?
Pros:
easy setup, it does add some "outside" area when car camping that is protected against bugs

Cons:
a smaller tailgate (like with the crosstrek) means the far wall of the tent (across from the tailgate) slopes so sharply downwards that the useful area of the tent is severely limited.
There is no way to maximize the size of the tent by pulling out the sides or back wall by roping off to a tree,
The rainfly leaks, not horribly but enough that it is really annoying. Part of this is likely because it lays directly on the tent, and I was constantly hitting the sides when moving around.

Overall it's ok but it could be much better.
Use a heavier material for the solid areas, this is a CAR tent, I'm not carrying it in a backpack for miles, it's ok for it to be heavier.
Put some tie offs on the back end so the back wall can be pulled out to it's full size.
Could also offer a set of tent poles which would maximize the available space.

Not giving up on this though, I've made a frame out of pvc pipes that holds up the tent to full size even when the tail gate is closed. Will give it another shot, hopefully when it's not raining 24/7.

·
Registered
318 Posts
The price of this is absurd for what is basically a bug net. Looks pretty useless in any type of wind or rain or even as a sun shelter. For that price I'd go for the Kelty Tailgaiter IPA.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts