Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

Target customer?

7K views 19 replies 12 participants last post by  avimia 
#1 ·
I am a newbie, and only discovered the Crosstrek about three weeks ago. From what I have noticed, it seems that the target audience is a young, active crowd. I'm a 58-yo woman, and I like smaller cars, but my aging mom and some older friends had problems getting in and out of my Civic. So one of the things I was looking for was a higher stance.

Am I in the minority at my age? Are most of you younger? Just wondering...

#2 ·
Not sure.... I'm 44 and my DD is a lifted 04 Wrangler... mainly bought the XV for my bride. I consider myself young at heart and VERY active in 4x4, camping, fishing...etc.

I feel so much better with her driving our XV than the 07 Wolfsburg Edition we traded for it... AWD, safe and economical. LOVED the Jetta, but maintenance costs were nuts for normal routine junk.

#3 ·
CJ said:
I am a newbie, and only discovered the Crosstrek about three weeks ago. From what I have noticed, it seems that the target audience is a young, active crowd. I'm a 58-yo woman, and I like smaller cars, but my aging mom and some older friends had problems getting in and out of my Civic. So one of the things I was looking for was a higher stance.

I heard on one of the reviews that Subaru expected the typical XV buyer to be an active, relatively affluent male, making around $70k per year. I think it's going to have broader appeal than they expected.

#4 ·
“The XV Crosstrek takes the body of the current Impreza and gives it the raised suspension of the new Outback,” says Mark Sattler, Internet sales manager for Nielsen Subaru in Portage. “Crosstrek appeals to a younger buyer who enjoys an active lifestyle.”

According to Sattler, the median age of the Subaru XV Crosstrek buyer is targeted at 33 years old.
Source: http://www.nwitimes.com/business/columnists/jim-jackson/subaru-travels-new-territory/article_ca237714-2a54-5d3b-af82-65bc7f9f4926.html

#5 ·
I'm 60 and I think it is a good car for us "oldies" depending on what you need. I am active and I need AWD if it snows and I wanted something reliable, good on gas, not too expensive, fold down back seat, decent clearance, something I can put the bike on. I ferry my wife's 88 year old aunt around and this car is better for her. Previous vehicle was an XTerra which was difficult for her to climb into. The Crosstrek ticked those boxes. I like Hondas too and the CRV was on the list, but I went for the Crosstrek because it was less money, and got better gas mileage.

#6 ·
Got said:
I'm 60 and I think it is a good car for us "oldies" depending on what you need. I am active and I need AWD if it snows and I wanted something reliable, good on gas, not too expensive, fold down back seat, decent clearance, something I can put the bike on. I ferry my wife's 88 year old aunt around and this car is better for her. Previous vehicle was an XTerra which was difficult for her to climb into. The Crosstrek ticked those boxes. I like Hondas too and the CRV was on the list, but I went for the Crosstrek because it was less money, and got better gas mileage.
These targets are mostly fantasies generated by marketing types. Customers tend to be more diverse in the real world. I see tons of older people scooting around in Kia Souls yet all the marketing I've seen seems to be targeted at 16 year olds.

#9 ·
Not that young here at 49, male, with some mobility issues with my legs. I was thinking of an Impreza last year because of the mpg's but when I heard about the Crosstrek and its higher stance I knew I needed to take a look when it arrived. Now I'm very happy with my Khaki Premium/moonroof/CVT!!!

#10 ·
The crosstrek is more hubby's who is 42 & I will be 41 in about a month we also have a 14 year old son & 2 pugs. But I get to drive it sometimes :) lol In a couple years when this one is paid off I will be getting one :) We don't hike & what not..but we like the mileage, price & the looks :)

#11 ·
CrossTrekFan said:
Got said:
These targets are mostly fantasies generated by marketing types. Customers tend to be more diverse in the real world. I see tons of older people scooting around in Kia Souls yet all the marketing I've seen seems to be targeted at 16 year olds.
Yes, I was looking at the Soul also. Easier to get into. I don't think I've seen anyone under 40 driving one, haha. So much for the dancing hamsters! I have a friend who is 63 who bought one.

#12 ·
CJ said:

I am with you CJ....I am 54 and was looking for an easy in/out vehicle...good gas mileage and AWD for safety in snow/heavy rains. Also need a hatchback to easily get things in and out, again without bending down into a trunk (I hate trunks).

Plus it had to be sporty looking.

I think Subaru has a target they missed...LOL

#13 ·
Paintgirl said:
CJ said:

I am with you CJ....I am 54 and was looking for an easy in/out vehicle...good gas mileage and AWD for safety in snow/heavy rains. Also need a hatchback to easily get things in and out, again without bending down into a trunk (I hate trunks).

Plus it had to be sporty looking.

I think Subaru has a target they missed...LOL
YES! Everything you said is what I wanted. And now I have it. Maybe I should go out to the garage and kiss it goodnight. ;D

#15 ·
I haven't been on the forum for a while but so glad to see some other ladies! I am 44 and in my newbie intro I mentioned needing a combo of ground clearance (snowy and beach driving) and ease of entry/exit for my 98 yr old grandma and 71 yr old mom, plus my active senior pups.

Most of the vehicles with this much ground clearance have the seats so high my grandma cannot get in without some sort of stepstool which is not an option IMO. The hatch and cargo are well suited for a transport chair and a walker.

I wouldn't worry about what Subaru marketing implies. Everyone values features of the car differently and the marketing analysts cannot anticipate all that.

The one thing I believe the Crosstrek does say about everyone is that the driver did some research and chose a car that is a good value for the all features it has!

#16 ·
SeaGal_w_Pups said:
The one thing I believe the Crosstrek does say about everyone is that the driver did some research and chose a car that is a good value for the all features it has!
I'll agree with that comment. The salesman with whom I've been speaking shared with me that a very high number of people who do a lot of their research on vehicles come around to Subaru (in his experience talking with the people who have purchased from their dealership). I ended up being one of those people as well.

#18 ·
SeaGal_w_Pups said:

I am in total agreement with this..... WAIT!!!!!

Does this mean I'm all grown up now? sigh.... I'm only 44.... I can't be getting wise in my decision making process yet.... I still feel young!

#19 ·
There are a ton of nice cars out there but value is harder to come by. Getting reliability, AWD, excellent mileage, style, comfort, room for 5+ gear, nav, satellite radio, and off road capability for under 24k (in my case) is a crazy good value.

#20 ·
Yay! Glad to see other ladies here too! I'm almost 51 and my new Crosstrek is my first Subie. So far... I love it.. of course, it's only been 2 weeks.

When I was at the dealer, I asked the salesman for a print brochure. He accidentally gave me the wrong one. He gave me the "for internal use" booklet. hahaa. It said the same thing about the "targeted audience" being the younger folks, outdoorsy/sports type. So... I guess I blew that out of the water... LOL.

Yep.. this hip ol' granny is all about a well-built car (amazing what 35+ years of car buying will teach you). That, along with a being particular what I want from a car, being from family who built race cars, and I have worked in technologies for years... it makes sense the Crosstrek works for me!

Power-On Ladies!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.