Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does any one know of an aftermarket product for displaying engine, oil and trany temp? This may be strange to some, but I always want to know he vehicles temps. It's a cary over from my racing days.

·
Registered
714 Posts
You can certainly go with an OBD2 plug in system like those. Otherwise there are TONS of companies that make gauges for damn near everything. Depending on how much you want to spend etc you've got lots of options. If you want nice stuff check out DEFI. They make very nice and accurate gauges.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I researched the ultraguage OBD2 compatible. This may work for me. Thanks for the info

·
Registered
142 Posts
There are some smartphone applications that run via Bluetooth from the OBD2 scanner that give you all that information.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
josemendez said:
There are some smartphone applications that run via Bluetooth from the OBD2 scanner that give you all that information.
This may be worth looking into

·
Registered
714 Posts
I haven't played with them yet but some of those apps look pretty nifty. I've been trying to think of a good way to actually mount a high quality temp gauge somewhere.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

·
Registered
275 Posts
I am using an app on my smartphone called Torque. I bought a ELM327 bluetooth ODBII reader off of ebay to connect to the car. It gives you the full engine data, charts, & gauges. It worked well on my truck, but I traded the truck in for my XV. I will try it later today on the Subaru and report back. I was looking for a temp gauge too! The app has a free version but I bought it. The OBDII reader was like $20 or so. I'm not endorsing or promoting these tools, but it is what I am using.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Being old school I would love to ad analog gauges to read Oil Pressure Water Temp etc

This A-Pillar pod would do nicely

wonder if they make one for the XV

·
Registered
275 Posts
Wingnut said:
Being old school I would love to ad analog gauges to read Oil Pressure Water Temp etc

This A-Pillar pod would do nicely

wonder if they make one for the XV

Wouldn't that get in the way of the airbag?

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Coletrain. The Bluetooth obd II. And the app look cool and will give the info I need. I will check it out. Please report back if it works on the XV.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Ikon said:
Coletrain. The Bluetooth obd II. And the app look cool and will give the info I need. I will check it out. Please report back if it works on the XV.
Will do.

I will most likely try it tonight. Didnt get to it last night. I have set up a screen with a temp gauge and a temp graph and I am going to try to upload a screenshot IF the device works on the XV. I think it will.....

·
Registered
275 Posts
Yep, it works just fine. I hooked it and idled in the driveway after a long commute. I cant have bluetooth streaming at the same time as using the ELM327 ODBII scanner, but i just turned off the radio. I tried red surrounds to mimic the interior lighting. Screen shots of the temp gauges I set up:

The drop on the graph is where I first turned to that screen and then it started plotting the chart. You can select multiple gauges:

fun stuff.

·
Registered
275 Posts
I figured I'd show where it plugs into the XV. It's on the left up under the dash. This pic is taken with the phone almost laying on the driver's floormat. In the US all vehicles are required to have this diag port within 2 feet of the steering wheel. Not sure about other XVs outside the US. It stays tucked out of the way nicely. I'm not sure I will leave it plugged in b/c I'm not sure how much draw it has on the battery. I've left it plugged in for weeks on my old truck though.

On the far left you can see the blue and orange thing plugged into the diag port. Its stays up and out of the way and is not visible from the drivers seat. This makes me wanna mount the phone under the radio in the cubby hole so I can monitor the temp, ect. I normally keep the phone in the console charging.

·
Registered
603 Posts
Did I read this correctly in that you can't have Bluetooth going (say for phone) at the same time as running this metering system?? If I'm driving down the road listening to my music from my iPhone, and I can't be watching the gauges during the drive... Doesn't that kind of defeat the purpose?? Or am I missing something?

1 - 20 of 59 Posts