Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After debating over if it was worth purchasing, I took the plunge and ordered a tepui roof tent (Ayer) model for the XV. They are based out of northern California. I was impressed by their customer service and promptly shipping. The tent came to my door within six days. They have an easy install video on their website. I paid 749$ and shipping due to the weight was expensive. (Like 125$). I am hoping to get a quick desert camp soon to try it out and I will post photos when I go.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6 Posts
I never even knew those existed. There is local dealer with 2 locations nearby. I'll certainly have to go check them out. Might be good to help convince the GF to come camping since she's used the comfort of her own home.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Definitely interested on how you like this.... Cause I'm seriously inquiring about purchasing this as well, my wife and I go camping enough each year, I think it'd be worth the purchase...

·
Registered
25 Posts
Those are so cool! Definitely gonna have to save up some money for one!

Sent from my SCH-R930 using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Update: we decided last minute to go camping for the night to the local beach to test the tepui roof tent. Installation on the yakima rack took about 15minutes. Wind noise was minimal at freeway speeds. Setup once we arrived took ten minutes (this was the first time we opened up the tent). Set-up was easy. I had countless other beach campers stop and talk to me about the tent.

My girlfriend who loves camping was skeptical for me blowing 900 bucks on it. I am 5'10 165 lb and she is 505 , 115lbs
O ya and my dog is 40lb.

We fit fine in the ayer model
The tent worked great the mattress is very comfortable and I woke up refreshed.

After sleeping in it I asked my girlfriend was it worth the money and she agreed it was worth it. I am very happy with the product and cant wait to use it again.

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
That is AWESOME! I have looked into these and think they're great, but I don't think it would work for me because I have a 80lb dog that would not be fun to get up in that thing.

I have looked for tents that extend from the hatch of your car, but, last time I checked, haven't seen anything that would fit on the Crosstrek. I am going to check them out again, though.

Thanks for sharing these pics!

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah it was one of those purchases that make you question it ... until I tried it out then it felt worth it

·
Registered
142 Posts
So I like this. My only thing is that you have to take it down every time you go somewhere if you are camping. Does it take a long time to set up and tear down?

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It takes 10-15 to bolt it on there are four bolts 13mm I believe . Faster if u have two ratchet wrenches

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
42 Posts
Up and installed today... just wanted to actually put it up before getting to my camping trip and not knowing what to do....

I was probably more excited to know it fits in the garage lol...

Attachments

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I should have done the same the only issue I had was getting the ladder to lock at the proper height . Did you have any issues with the latter locking

·
Registered
42 Posts
Nope, locked pretty well..., and that was even on a unlevel surface... I was pretty impressed... Cannot wait for 2 weeks to go by and be camping in it...

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hmm strange okay we'll yeh it is awesome super comfortable to sleep in

·
Registered
53 Posts
$900 really isn't that bad of a price as there are regular tents that cost twice that. And way cheaper than most pop up campers. I'd imagine MPG's would take a hit, but then again wouldn't be any different than towing a camper. Damn.....I think I just talked myself into buying one lol.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts