Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yeah. So After 10 days of owning it, it was rear ended. Had to deal with a rental car and the hassle of hassling the people fixing my car. Turns out, I've owned 51 Subarus, lifted more than 20 of them, worked in a Subaru only junk yard for over a year. THEY CANNOT TELL ME anything I don't already know about my car. I'm not the guy who will just hear what they have to say and not have a comment or suggestion about how or why.

I got the car back, was unhappy right away. It pulled to the right, the repaint on the bumper was shoddy, the rear hatch didn't close properly. I brought it to another branch of the same collision repair people. They promised me a quick and thorough fix. Well, after a few days of bs and no real clear end to the tunnel, I drove to the place to get a straight answer. Even though I showed her the clear difference between the gaps on each side between the tire and the wheel well, she dismissed it. Their mechanic said that it was the front alignment, "The engine cradle and how it's common problem with this model and that it's a factory defect." I told her that was crap, called the service department at the dealership and asked all of the guys there if they'd ever heard of that. You know they hadn't.

So I got on the phone and called the headquarters in Canada. After a little persistence, I got through. Later the founder of the company called me personally and listened to the VERY long version of the condensed version I'm typing now.

He called back yesterday to say I was right and that he was personally inspecting my car and ordering a complete new rear suspension rather than trying to fix the bent stuff. I should have a NEW car after all. In the meantime, I'm rolling a pretty sweet rental car. A 2012 Mercedes GLK SUV. On their dime.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Sorry about your adventure...sounds like the typical body shop nightmare...magnified X 1 million because you car was brand spanking new...please keep us posted as the saga unfolds...

RR

(hope there were no serious injuries, BTW)

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
That's a rough series of events for a brand new car, glad it's finally getting taken care of. It seems like that happens a lot with mechanics. They think they've "seen this a million times" so they are 100% sure they know what it is and won't take any other explanation, even for little things. Either that or they were just being lazy.

·
Registered
820 Posts
That just flat out stinks. I'm glad YOU have the knowledge, expertise and fortitude to speak up for yourself. The automotive repair industry has been on a downward spiral for quite sometime IMO. More and more fly by nighters looking to prey and take advantage of those who are already in a compromised position. The labor rate per hour is grotesque in general for fixing a non breathing entity. I'm in the medical field and it really annoys the sh#t out of me when I see them charging DOUBLE per hour what a nurse in the surgical ICU makes. Couple the $$$ with the BS they try to feed you and you have a industry that's among the worst in terms of public trust....with just cause I might add! :mad:

·
Registered
603 Posts
Wow! Sooo sorry to hear of the crunch.. Let alone the nightmare! I can only say I do admire your extensive knowledge of Subies! This was probably your ace in the hole that helped get the car to a better position. For people like me, we're just stuck in the loop of being treated like idiots and taking the BS shaft. As I eerily envision this nightmare happening to me... I realize I would probably PAY a knowledgable person like you to help hold these people to the guns.

Well... Prayers be with you that you are not injured and you Trek will be back in your hands very soon!

·
Registered
800 Posts
Damn, I can't imagine how frustrating that situation would have to be. At least you were able to get through to the founder and get the suspension replaced... not that you didn't have to work for that, of course.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
When this is all finished, I'll give more details and the name of the company. I have to say that I am ecstatic about the concern shown by The Boss who is taking care of it.

Yeah, sucks to be anyone who has to deal with me. I research their company, use their guarantees and promises as a tool to get them to do the right thing. Facebook worked for me too. I even dropped the name of this site to say I'd seen no one complain about the car having a constant pull to one side after 10 days of owning it.

My big battle ahead is going to be finding the diminished value of it so I can be compensated for that. Geico is my next in line to do battle with, but I have a professional on my side that will assess the value, and an attorney who will represent me cuz she's my good friend, should it come to that.

·
Registered
800 Posts
Well it sounds like you will get everything you deserve after being rear-ended.

And I'm adding you to my list of people to not get into a confrontation with ;)

·
Registered
603 Posts
So, how does it work with cars now and this whole car fax thing when you go to trade it in one day?

Dealer told me a horror-story relating to CarFax....

His wife was at the grocery story when a run-away shopping cart hit her passenger door. It wasn't a huge hit.. but enough to put a good ding in it, chip the paint just a bit, and it just happen to deploy that air bag.

So, they took the car in to fix the ding and such, actually laughing about a stupid shopping cart. But.... sure enough it went on Car Fax. And guess what...

Simply because the air bag deployed, Car Fax had it listed as a "car has been wrecked". She couldn't get any place to give her any value on the car as trade-in later.

Between CarFax, the "little black box" recording everything we do, and "Bundle Insurance Company" pushing to get snapshots of everything little thing you do... god forbid you were to sneeze at the wrong time!

·
Registered
927 Posts
Sorry you have to go through all this.... sucks. I am a lot like you and don't take things lightly... DONT FLUFF ME UP!!!! Glad you were able to get some action from the Boss.... shows that persistence does pay off.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well, got my car back again. Leonard, (founder of Thoroughbred) the VP of Kirmac Collision Washington delivered it in person. He took over the whole thing and made things happen in a timely manner. He took the time to call me several times to keep me in the loop, personally test drove the car for me several times while they got the alignment perfect. It came back detailed and shining.

I still have doubts about the competency of the manager of the Auburn location, I'll leave it at that. I know she won't talk to me or answer emails asking for photos of the repairs. The last email with pics came from the Tacoma shop, who screwed it up in the first place, the address was "do not [email protected] this address". weird.

But yeah, I'm stoked. The GLK was a fun ride, very fast, but it's like taking off boots and putting on tennys driving the XV. Much lighter and nimble, roomier, huh? I guess if the hp ever gets to be not enough, then I'll swap a WRX motor into it or something.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Wow man, that's a lot of crap to deal with just for a fender bender (I saw the accident pics in an earlier post). Can't believe they couldn't get it right. When did the "Customer is always right" tag go to the wayside....

Glad it worked out for you.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts