1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
21 Posts
For me, I think that would get old really quickly. After all its just a 148hp 4-cylinder, no need for it to be any louder if it isn't adding any power. But of course if it makes you happy when you're driving it do it! The fun of having a car is to make it your own.

·
Registered
927 Posts
The muffler delete is under $20 and a bolt on....

P/N 41785 at NAPA.

This NOT mine..... but talked to the guy on another board... my local Napa didn't have one in stock and was $16 He added a hanger, but he said it really didn't need it.

[/color]

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Xtrekr said:
The muffler delete is under $20 and a bolt on....

P/N 41785 at NAPA.

This NOT mine..... but talked to the guy on another board... my local Napa didn't have one in stock and was $16 He added a hanger, but he said it really didn't need it.

[/color]

More tempting now...thanks!

·
Registered
500 Posts
I've thought about doing it just so I don't have to worry about clearance issues on stingers in my Torklift hitch. I really want to hear it, if only in a video, first though.

·
Registered
927 Posts
chasem said:
I've thought about doing it just so I don't have to worry about clearance issues on stingers in my Torklift hitch. I really want to hear it, if only in a video, first though.

The way I look at it... I have thrown away more than $20 before... if you don't like it.... put the muffler back on....

·
Registered
42 Posts
I'm curious about doing this too. I have the cvt though and am not sure how it would sound, I may just do the delete using the napa part like others have and if I don't like it can always revert back.

·
Registered
927 Posts
I have the CVT too... and same reason I am a bit reluctant....SOUND... since the CVT is unlike ANY other auto.... it may sound weird... hanging at the same RPM all the time...lol

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I didn't get to it this weekend. The CVT issue worries me as well. It might be a bit of a drone. But given the low expense and ease of reversal I'll probably try it at some point.

·
Registered
927 Posts
CrossTrekFan said:
I didn't get to it this weekend. The CVT issue worries me as well. It might be a bit of a drone. But given the low expense and ease of reversal I'll probably try it at some point.

Definitely need a soundfile on it when completed.... I am fearing the worst ( not using the paddles )

·
Registered
61 Posts
If you've never tried this before, go for it. Like was already said, you could go back to the muffler.

For me, about a thousand years ago when I was in college, I had a full size Blazer with Thrush glass packs...my girlfriend/now wife still talks about how she could always tell when I was headed to her house...because she could hear me from MILES away. It was also terrible for having any sound you wanted to listen to inside the truck...I'll have to pass on this one.

·
Registered
927 Posts
I had a 79 K5 back in the day.... also ran glasspacks... lol!!! VERY loud!!! not like the XV with a muffler delete.... it's like comparing watermelons to kiwi...

·
Registered
61 Posts
True enough...I was really just meaning, "I'll take quiet over not."

·
Registered
7 Posts
https://youtu.be/cjOIBA6b-yk

I did mine today. Well, Midas did. My bolts and flange were too far gone to come loose without torching them off. I will drive it to work tomorrow at highway speeds to see if I change my mind about liking it. I trimmed around the pipe with a Dremel so it doesn't melt it. The down pipe was touching it a bit. It is on the underside and not visible. I like the fact that it doesn't hang below like the full delete pipe kits. So far, it seems louder at 1500-2000 rpm, than when running at about 3000. I backed into the driveway and the wife said she didn't hear it...Only when I made the video. The phone doesn't do it justice. It is louder and deeper in person. Big plus is I can bolt the muffler back on. https://youtu.be/cjOIBA6b-yk

·
Premium Member
2,941 Posts
I'm curious how this sounds at WOT with manual shifting from the interior.

·
Registered
7 Posts
First drive in to work impression

I like it. Automatic transmission. I use my paddle shifters to downshift a lot anyway. The inside of the car isn't the quietest anyway. I recorded a video of normally accelerating...It is difficult to hear on a cell phone with the road/engine/tire noise. It is louder in the lower rpm range, than at highway speeds...At 80 and 90 I couldn't hear it at all. This is all with the windows up. It is noticable with the windows down. I like the extra "noise" though, so I am biased.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I've done the cheap delete.

I actually like it. It would be better in a manual tho. I like to drive my cvt in manual anyway so it sounds ok to me. I'm new here btw so forgive me, I will have to try to post the videos later.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts