Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All-

My wife and I are thinking about purchasing one of these cars (replacing her 2008 Fusion.5k for the trade) and need some advise since we've never bought new before in our life.

We found two Crosstrek's we like at two different dealers, but they are owned by the same people (Ganley Subaru in NE Ohio for reference).
1. Everything is the same on both vehicles (color and everything) except the one at the dealership we HAVEN'T talked to doesn't have a dimmable mirror/homelink.
2. The one at the dealership we have been talking too, we got them down from 25,947 to 24,897 (before trade).
3. The one at the dealership we HAVEN'T been talking too is on "Internet Sale" for 23,973.

My question is.. Is the homelink/dimmable mirror worth the extra? I was thinking I would bring in the paperwork from online at the other dealer and seeing if they could do a vehicle trade with the other dealership to get that one? I don't really want to go to the other dealer because of the trade pricing (They went from 4k to 5k for us because they worked hard to find someone willing to give them 5k for it..)

What do you guys/gals think? We are going tonight to take another test drive and see what numbers they can come up with for a purchase loan. Any help would be appreciated!

·
Registered
61 Posts
Also, how much value will the "homelink" feature be? - Do you have a remote garage door or live in a gated community?

·
Registered
77 Posts
The home link/mirror is a very convenient device, assuming you have an automatic opener on the garage.
When buying new get what you want, and if making payments figure most extra goodies paid for over
3 to 6yrs usually amounts to very little on a monthly basis.

It get's very confusing when trading in and buying at the same time. The dealer knows how to
always make you think you got a good deal. Just do your homework so you know what the trade in
is worth on the wholesale market and what the new car is generally going for in your area.

Have fun in your new xv

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It has 90k on it and it's been in two accidents (one of which is incorrectly reporting structural damage) so I think 5k is pretty good, lol.

·
Registered
44 Posts
bkosh84 said:
It has 90k on it and it's been in two accidents (one of which is incorrectly reporting structural damage) so I think 5k is pretty good, lol.
Well then yes, that does shed some new light to the rest of us. Lol!!

I'd do the best you can from whatever dealer gives the best deal (new car price, and trade in.) If none come around to your liking, walk. Trust me, they'll make more (XV's.) Something I've learned over the years... JMHO.

·
Registered
820 Posts
This advice is probably late but I just got in hotel room for night....ah traveling....sigh! Anyway- not to say don't pay attention to what they're offering you for your trade but all that matters is the BOTTOM LINE. Especially if your comparing apples to apples as you are describing. Even if one dealer is offering you more for your trade- are they making it up somewhere else? You may be surprised how tricky they are. The rear view mirror with home link is not worth it IMO, especially, as onOse pointed out, if you have a garage door opener. Serves the exact same purpose and is only$30 to buy a universal model as I have done for my kids and their cars. Is "dimming"worth that extra $$ to you? Especially when you're talking financing...those little extras x 4-6 yrs at interest end up costing way more than they are worth. Again, what really matters is amount financed or amount youre paying out of pocket if paying cash. If amount financed is the same- then who is giving you the best interest rate? Like the others said- if you're not feeling good about it....walk. They might call you in a few days and give you a better deal- it happens! Especially at the end of the month and they want to hit their number.
You're making a great choice of vehicles for your first new one. Safe, reliable and depreciation is very good overall ;) good Luck!

·
Registered
168 Posts
Always work the best price first with no mention of having a trade. After you've beat the dealer up the best you can then you hit them with your savings whether it be trade or what have you.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well, to give everyone an update.. We are now owners of a Tangerine Orange Crosstrek! We had them do a monthly payment comparison between both (with the trade-in as down payment, we didn't put any money out of pocket down, got a purchasing loan, not lease) and they were nearly exactly the same, the one with more features (it actually had more features than I thought, because I am dumb and didn't pay attention to the printout close enough.. DOH!) was about 5 bucks more a month (it had the the Pop. Package #2/Dimmable Mirror).

So all in all it worked out. They were not pushy at all and worked with us completely to come to a deal on the purchase. We are VERY happy.

·
Registered
927 Posts
Congrats!!! Nice whrn things work in our favor

Sent from my SAMSUNG GALAXY S4 using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
820 Posts
Right on! Congratulations....now go out and drive the heck out of it!

·
Registered
603 Posts
Yay! Congratulations on your new tangerine baby! Hope to see photos of it soon.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts