Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,
New member here. The time has come to retire my beloved old model forester at 253k miles and I'm looking at Crosstreks. I have a few concerns, though, that I was hoping current owners might be able to speak to.

1) The first has to do with headlights: I rented a 2019 Legacy for a few days and generally enjoyed the car until I had to drive it at night. At that point I discovered that the headlights had such a sharp falling off line that a) they created a really distracting (for me) horizon line between light and dark that's constantly moving up and down as you drive - it kind of drove me crazy! - and b) I didn't feel like I could sense anything off to the sides or outside of illuminated area since there's no gradual falling off.

Are the crosstrek headlights similar? If so, does it impact your night driving and is there anything that can be done about it?

2) Concerned about an article I read that implicated Crosstreks in a lot of accidents. I know there's been much discussion about this article in various places, with some people arguing that it's making a wrong claim based on confusing data and others arguing it's a demographic issue. I don't want to get into that kind of discussion, but I'd really like to hear if anyone here has had an accident with theirs, and, if so, how did it happen?

FYI, I've posted this in a totally different crosstrek board as well....

Thanks!

·
Registered
17 Posts
No accident. Googled it. Interesting.

The Crosstrek visibility is not as good as wifes 2017 Forester. The front winshield posts block my view when going around some turns. I have to lean forward to see better.

May just be me not used to the Crosstrek. Only 900 + miles driven so far.

Have not been out after dark, so no idea on head lights. But know what you mean. Daughters toyota van has the sharp falling off line.
Some cars comming towards us , looks like they are flashing the high beams on a bumpy road.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Crosstripe

Most newer cars (that I have driven) have the distinct cut off line with the headlights, you'll get used to it (just don't focus on it, kind of like not focusing on the giant bug splattered on the windshield).
The accident thing smells like BS to me. I've had a Crosstrek as long as they have been around (2013) and I still haven't become reckless (no accidents other than somebody doing a minor rear-ender on me.
Besides all of that, I don't recommend these cars. It was my first and will be my last Subaru. The Subarus that people were fanatical about were (IMO) made before Crosstrek started, when Subaru was still a small quantity car company. Somewhere around the time that I bought in, it seems that quality got switched out for quantity. I had plenty of ridiculous things go wrong with it within the first 3 to 4 years of low mileage driving. Many minor, but some inexcusable for a car that close to new.
Just my two cents.

Hi All,
New member here. The time has come to retire my beloved old model forester at 253k miles and I'm looking at Crosstreks. I have a few concerns, though, that I was hoping current owners might be able to speak to.

1) The first has to do with headlights: I rented a 2019 Legacy for a few days and generally enjoyed the car until I had to drive it at night. At that point I discovered that the headlights had such a sharp falling off line that a) they created a really distracting (for me) horizon line between light and dark that's constantly moving up and down as you drive - it kind of drove me crazy! - and b) I didn't feel like I could sense anything off to the sides or outside of illuminated area since there's no gradual falling off.

Are the crosstrek headlights similar? If so, does it impact your night driving and is there anything that can be done about it?

2) Concerned about an article I read that implicated Crosstreks in a lot of accidents. I know there's been much discussion about this article in various places, with some people arguing that it's making a wrong claim based on confusing data and others arguing it's a demographic issue. I don't want to get into that kind of discussion, but I'd really like to hear if anyone here has had an accident with theirs, and, if so, how did it happen?

FYI, I've posted this in a totally different crosstrek board as well....

Thanks!

·
Registered
257 Posts
i-sight saved us from a left hand turn accident. It stopped us dead as the light jumper sailed on through.

I had almost the exact same accident in a 2006 Impreza wagon. The left side speared a guy who ran a red.
No air bags went of luckily. I could have driven it as the cars alignment remained perfect.
The bumper frame was hinged and spotwelded at it’s corners. so when you speared something it yealds and folds and takes you sliding away from the line of the force.
Very clever engineering in these cars.

The recent global platform is considered 5 star euro ncap. As far as the lights are concerned. The led headlights are so bright they would be illegal if they didn’t have projector cut off. I use the fog light to get some warm light in rain and fog.
The high beams are magnificent by the way and we use the auto feature when driving country roads at night.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I've owned a 15 and a 19 and didn't notice anything weird about the headlights, though I wouldn't mind it if they were a bit brighter. I don't know anything about accident statistics, but I was just in one and the star link system was amazing. My car started ringing and there was a person talking to me by the time my car stopped spinning, which was great cause my phone went from the cup holder to the trunk... Definitely gonna pick up another one

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

1 - 7 of 7 Posts