Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all got the 2019 tinted they did a great job and after seeing all of the post about tinting the front eyebrow and having eyesight here is how mine got done

first picture is from outside , 2nd picture is from pass side 3rd is driver side

Attachments

·
Registered
25 Posts
Looks good.
I did a test with painters tape where I kept adding layers until it tripped the EyeSight (yes I drove around like this) and I got about 2" past the legal line so technically you didn't have to cut out that center section because of the angle of the projection of the cameras. Keep in mind they're meant to scan what is in front of your car at hood/bumper height. So if you decide to re-do it now you know!

·
Registered
74 Posts
We've had a lot of discussions about this kind of thing on the other XV site. I haven't posted here recently but just got a notice about your Racing Stripes post (I had subscribed to that thread).

Interesting experiment! With Eyesight, no one knows how exactly how it will be affected by every mod. I personally don't believe it's either on or off, like a light switch. More likely, it slowly degrades to the point that it no longer can work at all. So, while it may not have shut down with a tint in a certain place, it may not be working as efficiently as it would without the tint (and may not do emergency braking as effectively, etc.

One way to test this would be to do the cardboard box experiment with different levels of tint (but not while we're all supposed to be in lockdown, LOL!

·
Registered
25 Posts
EyeSight can be so tricky. It’s definitely not like a switch at all. The cameras are constantly scanning a field of vision for obstructions and objects to assist the driver. The manual explains where the field of vision technically is for the cameras. I drove around with the tape on my windshield for 2 weeks until it rained and it fell off. But eyesight still functioned in its entirety.

I currently have a sticker at the bottom of my windshield that isn’t obstructing eyesight either. It’s one of those things where we just have to try it until it doesn’t work and inform the rest. Trial & error. :D

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
74 Posts
One of the things I'm curious about is to what extent Eyesight is impacted by a mod (e.g. tinting or other treatments/coatings, a phone stuck on the windshield, a dash cam mounted behind the mirror, etc.) Or even just build up of dust on the windshield in dry climates. If lane keep assist and active cruise control appear to be working, it doesn't necessarily mean that emergency braking is operating at optimal performance. Eyesight has been on the market long enough that I'm surprised there haven't been some studies and properly controlled experiments by reputable organizations. Or, if there have been, I haven't been able to find them online. Just a few vloggers trying to crash their Subies into cardboard boxes. Since it relies solely on the stereo cameras, no radar or lidar, it's obviously going to be affected by something that affects what it can see, what may be obscuring its field of view, reflections that it's not expecting, etc.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Agreed. I also have not found any other studies done. I know in the winter months when my window fogs up eyesight disengages and pops up on the dash saying so.
With my experiment it still actively braked when I got too close to an object. I have experienced in dense fog it’ll disengage because it cannot see the lines or have a clear view of what’s ahead of my vehicle.
I will say this though I often turn assistive braking off in heavy rain or when I’m on the highway in traffic because it impacts my style of driving. I turn it off in the rain to prevent sudden braking and the potential for loss of control.
To what you mentioned about obstructing the view with a dash cam or a phone or cleaners it does say in the manual about where to place certain objects to prevent glare or obstruction of the cameras and it shows the angles the camera is using to view what is ahead of you. Subaru warns users not to clean the cameras because you could damage them. I use RAINX on my windshield and have never experienced any issues. Also I’m an essential worker so my right to work letter is on my dash board and it also has not impeded the operation of EyeSight. It’s a very interesting & weird device to say the least.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
74 Posts
I find it has the biggest problem with the lane keep assist - we have no tint, no rain-x, nothing on the dash, etc. and on a clear day it will turn off lane keep on the twisty parts of Pacific Coast Hwy. The beeping gets annoying after a while so I turn it off myself.

Hopefully, one day, someone will do a proper study so we're not left wondering what will and won't affect Eyesight's performance.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts