Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Gang,

Just bought my Crosstrek in November. Somehow today I tore the wall of the tire while driving and it went completely flat. I put the spare on but it looks tiny.

Anyone have experience driving on the spare? I've heard the AWD is super sensitive and I don't want to ruin anything. I've also read that once a tire needs to be replaced, you need to replace all 4 tires to keep the AWD component healthy. Is this true?

Also, I have Yokohama tires. I can't tell if this is covered under warranty? Anyone else out there have the same situation?

Car has about 5K miles on it. Tires are the factory issued.

·
Registered
56 Posts
i blown my front tire @ 11k, i hit a curb at 25mph and it tore the side wall, this oem tire are just unacceptable , and yup i use my spare tire but use it on the back, just to be on the safe side. And yes i can 4 tires to keep the AWD component healthy, about your warranty ,why dont you give it a try to claim warranty on the dealer as long it was damage on normal use, good luck

·
Registered
811 Posts
Sidewall damage is usually not covered under a mileage warranty as it's typically due to something other than simply wearing out. If there was a bubble in the sidewall and it blew out (as evidenced by blowout damage from inside-out), then you have a strong case. Hitting a curb at 25 mph is pretty harsh on the tire and rim especially if the tire was a little low on air pressure. A straight-on hit would do less damage then a glancing blow where the sidewall take the brunt of trama.

·
Premium Member
2,941 Posts
Yes, the AWD is indeed super-sensitive.

With one tire gone bad, you have two options:

1) replace all four tires
2) replace bad tire with new matching tire and shave all four tires to equal circumference (not recommended, tire warranty probably void but cheaper)

When using the spare, its best to keep it mounted at a rear tire and keep your speed below 50 MPH. You want to replace the bad tire ASAP.

If you live in an area with a known winter climate (snow, ice, etc), replacing all four tires with a more-suitable tire is best.

But if you live in an area like California or Florida where most areas don't see much severe weather, you should consider getting a new OEM tire and shaving all to the same circumference. Do note that tire shops that shave tires are rare.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I know on paper the difference in tire height/circumstance may be different after 5,000 miles. If I was in your shoes I would pick up a new stock tire like you took off. Stick it on and see if any of the idiot lights pop up. I'd bet you are going to be good to go with no drama.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts