Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thinking about going down to a 16in rim and putting a set of 215/70r16 bfg all terrains on the crosstrek. Do you guys think that would work out alright?

·
Registered
168 Posts
The ride will definitely change and with that tall of a sidewall I'd expect tight corners like highway on ramps to be sketchy if you like to corner hard. With the stock tires I can feel them wanting to roll over sometimes on two ramps I use frequently. That said, I plan on doing something similar for next winter.

·
Registered
89 Posts
What are you trying to achieve? Are you trying to achieve a better off-road experience?

There's an online reviewer named Roman Mica and he has a webiste/youtube channel called The Fast Lane where they review cars. They did not go gaga over the XV but they had some nice things to say about it as well.

Then they rated the top 4 crossover of 2013 and it was CR-V, XV, Escape and the CX-5, the Mazda coming in first. In Mazda's review, they wished the tires were smaller than the 19 inches so they would have a bit more confidence off-roading.

·
Registered
714 Posts
The only clearance issue would probably be the strut perch. Otherwise that's probably doable. As for the tires folding, that comes down to sidewall. The tires our cars come with have VERY VERY soft sidewalls. That provides a good ride but you'll end up with some sidewall flex which a lot of us have noticed. Even going to a smaller rim, a tire with a better sidewall (most a/t tires have pretty strong sidewalls) may actually be better and less prone to folding.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I have 16" tires and wheels off of '13 Outback that a friend gave me that are like new. So far I've put about 400 miles on them but I've got less than 800 total. I went off road yesterday in the desert, through washes, had the vehicle on 3 wheels several times, bottomed the suspension a few times. Also did 105 MPH just to check things out. These work great and give me an extra 1/2" ground clearance which is nice.

My friend has BFG T/A KOs in an LT215 70R/16 on his Outback and loves them. My plan is to go them or a TOYO A/T. It looks like the BFG will clear everything. My biggest concerns with going off road are sharp rocks puncturing the tires. This won't happen with the BFGs.

·
Registered
567 Posts
PAcrossTrek1 said:
Thinking about going down to a 16in rim and putting a set of 215/70r16 bfg all terrains on the crosstrek. Do you guys think that would work out alright?
I had these BFG AT's(the size was much larger) on my toyota tacoma, they are no joke. I'd recommend them to anyone, they just seem to last forever.

You have to put up some pics with them on an XV. That would look amazing.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes i know, before my crosstrek i had a 06 tacoma with a 6in lift and 35in bfg all terrains. They are a really good tire and i think they would compliment the car well.

·
Registered
243 Posts
I think it's a bad ass idea! I'd probably put some Firestone Destination MT on it instead as I think they will last longer, have better traction in the rain and will definitely have better off road traction. Might be a little too aggressive for sand though. I think their sidewall is stiffer than the BFG too. Did I mention I am a BFG hater?

·
Registered
40 Posts
I've run 3 sets of BFG A/T KOs on my DD Jeep. They are a must have for the XV.

Here's a pic of them on my friends Outback.

Attachments

·
Registered
128 Posts
Bignick said:
I've run 3 sets of BFG A/T KOs on my DD Jeep. They are a must have for the XV.

Here's a pic of them on my friends Outback.
Do they make those for the XV Crosstrek's OEM 17x7 wheels?
I cant seem to find them.

·
Registered
50 Posts
PAcrossTrek1 said:
I think 70r would make it real close, but there's plenty of all terrain tires in 65r you can go for. I would just measure and remeasure.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts