Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
the oem 225/55/17 geolandars on my '16 crosstrek are ready for the big recycling plant in the sky, so...

so what should i replace them with? i don't go off-road (voluntarily), i don't race (most of the time), and i swap for snow tires in the winter. i want something with good traction, long wear, and decent fuel economy. cheap would be nice, too.

suggestions?

·
Registered
14 Posts
the oem 225/55/17 geolandars on my '16 crosstrek are ready for the big recycling plant in the sky, so...

so what should i replace them with? i don't go off-road (voluntarily), i don't race (most of the time), and i swap for snow tires in the winter. i want something with good traction, long wear, and decent fuel economy. cheap would be nice, too.

suggestions?
I decided to go with the Falken Wildpeak A/T Trail tires in OEM size. I picked them up at Discount Tire who also gave me a military veteran discount. Overall, I'm very happy with them. The inflation PSI on these new Falkens will be at 34 psi all around. I'll drive at this PSI for a while and see how they do with mpg's, handling, etc. The load rating on the stock OEM tires was 98 and these new Falkens are rated at 99 so the difference is almost negligible.

The reason I swapped tires is that I live in the PNW-Seattle area. As most know it rains a bit here during the winter, but during the winters we also get periods of decent snow and very icy road conditions throughout the entire metro area. Like most people I have to commute to work in all kinds of weather to earn a paycheck, so having good tires that can handle these swings in weather are a must for me.

The Falkens are rated for all year long driving with a 65K mile tread life, which would allow me to avoid having to swap them out at the end of winter. The Falkens are also stamped and are rated as 3-mountain peaked snow traction tires.

Rectangle Font Parallel Screenshot Number

Wheel Car Plant Vehicle Tire

Organism Font Electric blue Parallel Slope

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Tread Synthetic rubber

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Locking hubs Tread

Font Rectangle Parallel Number Screenshot

·
Registered
2021 Crosstrec Premium
93 Posts
There are two versions of this, this being the less expensive. Many times we get what we pay for. These should get you well into winter and pull through that "Gotcha" spell in spring.
More on road than off, and just the same as above. Both are very close to OEM tire weight as well. Something some of us look for.
happy Shopping.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thank you for the recommendation.

I decided to go with the Falken Wildpeak A/T Trail tires in OEM size. I picked them up at Discount Tire who also gave me a military veteran discount. Overall, I'm very happy with them. The inflation PSI on these new Falkens will be at 34 psi all around. I'll drive at this PSI for a while and see how they do with mpg's, handling, etc. The load rating on the stock OEM tires was 98 and these new Falkens are rated at 99 so the difference is almost negligible.

The reason I swapped tires is that I live in the PNW-Seattle area. As most know it rains a bit here during the winter, but during the winters we also get periods of decent snow and very icy road conditions throughout the entire metro area. Like most people I have to commute to work in all kinds of weather to earn a paycheck, so having good tires that can handle these swings in weather are a must for me.

The Falkens are rated for all year long driving with a 65K mile tread life, which would allow me to avoid having to swap them out at the end of winter. The Falkens are also stamped and are rated as 3-mountain peaked snow traction tires.

View attachment 11372
View attachment 11375
View attachment 11374
View attachment 11370
View attachment 11371
View attachment 11373

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks for the recommendation. (i also prefer to post direct links, but these seemed to end up in the tall weeds for some reason. but i managed to decipher them.) i will look into them.

There are two versions of this, this being the less expensive. Many times we get what we pay for. These should get you well into winter and pull through that "Gotcha" spell in spring.
More on road than off, and just the same as above. Both are very close to OEM tire weight as well. Something some of us look for.
happy Shopping.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The inflation PSI on these new Falkens will be at 34 psi all around. I'll drive at this PSI for a while and see how they do with mpg's, handling, etc.
afaik, subaru recommends a slightly higher pressure in the front than the back for handling reasons. are you changing up the placard pressures for any specific reason?

·
Registered
2021 Crosstrec Premium
93 Posts
afaik, subaru recommends a slightly higher pressure in the front than the back for handling reasons. are you changing up the placard pressures for any specific reason?
The door sticker is a great start point, but,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
Running air, I use 35 PSI. That gets me a 10% pressure increase when at operating temps, and that is optimal.
I'm not playing tire pressure peek a boo when I toss a bag of groceries, a few gardening supply bags, or a suitcase in the boot. Tires differ.
Good enough for the chief engineer at Michelin, and a man I know as a very wise auto person that pounded that rule of thumb in my head all my life.
Sorry the links went off the reservation for you. they are MICHELINCROSSCLIMATE + , and BFGOODRICHTRAIL-TERRAIN T/A . The Falken are very highly regarded as well.
Happy Shopping

·
Registered
2021 Crosstrec Premium
93 Posts

View attachment 11375
I love my Crosstreck. Good writeup too. We don't get a lot of snow around here, and when we do it is a wag fest out there. People "think" they can drive on it. Even if they can the all season tires we get won't do well. LOL We just aren't [prepared or properly equipped in about any fashion for snow.
Ice is a whole different critter, and we get quite a bit of that around hare, especially on bridges. It doesn't matter if a tire has a 10/10 ice rating, you're still on friggin ICE! Drive like you've got some smarts. Yea, not much of that either, and those all seasons? They usually are terrible on ice.
It is only a few events per year, if that, but the pileups make the Nooz.
I'm in the market for something more capable than the OEM Geolanders, but life keeps coming up and I hate to waste rubber. It gives me time to shop and I have a bit of that luxury. How are the Falkens for road noise? Any sinigang?
I would love to hear some long term reviews. Tread life being one of them. E. Texas eats tires for a snack. I know several people who haven't payed the full price on tire replacement in years. They get the credit for the tire life guarantee.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I love my Crosstreck. Good writeup too. We don't get a lot of snow around here, and when we do it is a wag fest out there. People "think" they can drive on it. Even if they can the all season tires we get won't do well. LOL We just aren't [prepared or properly equipped in about any fashion for snow.
Ice is a whole different critter, and we get quite a bit of that around hare, especially on bridges. It doesn't matter if a tire has a 10/10 ice rating, you're still on friggin ICE! Drive like you've got some smarts. Yea, not much of that either, and those all seasons? They usually are terrible on ice.
It is only a few events per year, if that, but the pileups make the Nooz.
I'm in the market for something more capable than the OEM Geolanders, but life keeps coming up and I hate to waste rubber. It gives me time to shop and I have a bit of that luxury. How are the Falkens for road noise? Any sinigang?
I would love to hear some long term reviews. Tread life being one of them. E. Texas eats tires for a snack. I know several people who haven't payed the full price on tire replacement in years. They get the credit for the tire life guarantee.
Ok so far, I am loving these new Falkens. IMO after a few weeks with them on short and long drives so far, (two 350 mile road trips) The Falkens are very quiet...I would even say a tad quieter than the OEM's. They handle great on the road and hold true with very good bite on the pavement. Again, my driving needs and type of pavement I'm on is very different than yours indeed...me in the mild PNW, you in the E. Texas heat. Like I mentioned earlier, my tire needs include our crazy winter weather so I'm really hoping to love these Falkens during our wet, icy winters for me up here...summer driving is never an issue here.

·
Registered
2021 Crosstrec Premium
93 Posts
Ok so far, I am loving these new Falkens. IMO after a few weeks with them on short and long drives so far, (two 350 mile road trips) The Falkens are very quiet...I would even say a tad quieter than the OEM's. They handle great on the road and hold true with very good bite on the pavement. Again, my driving needs and type of pavement I'm on is very different than yours indeed...me in the mild PNW, you in the E. Texas heat. Like I mentioned earlier, my tire needs include our crazy winter weather so I'm really hoping to love these Falkens during our wet, icy winters for me up here...summer driving is never an issue here.
Summer isn't an issue here except the hot grinding road surfaces. It has been know to rain a lot here, and wet traction is pretty obtainable from just about everyone's offerings. My requirements are for a nice road, with competent off road, and able to hold up to the challenges of that kind of thing. Loved my Camry in just about every way, but it was not suitable for fishing trips. I can get places now, especially with the unusual dry year, but want the confidence when things get damp again.
Few people have need for a more Off than on road tire, and fortunately the kind suited well for the Treck are abundant, and in most cases pretty good. If I had no desire to go to out of the way places, I'd be eyeing those Michelin Crossclimate's. Looking at them pretty hard for the wife's sedan anyway. Shopping hard right now for her. 25K miles and she is at the "need to consider changing" point on a 60K tire. Discount tire, and a lot of other places here, said they won't rotate under 4/32 so time to shop.
Stay safe up there.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The door sticker is a great start point, but,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
Running air, I use 35 PSI. That gets me a 10% pressure increase when at operating temps, and that is optimal.
I'm not playing tire pressure peek a boo when I toss a bag of groceries, a few gardening supply bags, or a suitcase in the boot. Tires differ.
Good enough for the chief engineer at Michelin, and a man I know as a very wise auto person that pounded that rule of thumb in my head all my life.
Sorry the links went off the reservation for you. they are MICHELINCROSSCLIMATE + , and BFGOODRICHTRAIL-TERRAIN T/A . The Falken are very highly regarded as well.
Happy Shopping
thanks for the reply.

·
Registered
27 Posts

suggestions?
I just replaced my geolanders on my 2019 Crosstrek and got the set of four new Michelin Defenders I've used those exact tires on the number of other vehicles on their fantastic. Decent noise factor, grip the road like they're on glue treads and to track phenomenally well. They are pricey but they're also 80,000 mile tires.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I just replaced my geolanders on my 2019 Crosstrek and got the set of four new Michelin Defenders I've used those exact tires on the number of other vehicles on their fantastic. Decent noise factor, grip the road like they're on glue treads and to track phenomenally well. They are pricey but they're also 80,000 mile tires.
ok, costco also recommends the michelin defenders. thanks.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts