Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay Iv tried to like the colour of my XV but I totally hate it. I love the car and all the options including the nav and moon roof but the colour is the thing that pisses me off! At the dealer I went to I would have waited 6 months to get the colour I wanted. So now I propose the question. In everyone's opinion is it worth the money to have it repainted or should I suck it up? Btw if I have it repainted SUPPOSEDLY the trade in value goes down but Im thinking im keeping this forever because I have a 7 year 120K warranty on it and im a mechanic plus I love this car as my gas saver family car! Please give me some insight!

·
Registered
129 Posts
What color did you get? What color do you want?

Repainting sounds a bit extreme. It's just a color. After a while you forget and just enjoy the ride.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Have you considered plasti-dipping the whole car? Seen it done on youtube and some other car forums. Plus if you screw up or don't like it you should be able to peel it off. Or there is vinyl wrapping.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Its the ice silver metallic. I was thinking galaxy silica blue or black something darker than what it is now. The colour is what old couples drive trust me I let one test drive and they customed ordered it with the same specs as me. But I made 50 bucks out of it cause i got the dealer a sale. And no to plasti dipping and I dont know nothing about vinyl wrap. I was really thinking Galaxy silica blue I think that would be bad a$$ Cause no one else will have it muahahahaha. But it will cost alot of money lol. But Im getting 32k for a severance check from the army. So Now I need to decide if its worth spending the money.

And to me its not about just the ride its about making it your own!

·
Premium Member
2,941 Posts
Repainting it is far too extreme... Sadly I would much rather you keep it is since you wish not to plasti-dip your Subaru.

·
Registered
243 Posts
suuichi said:
Its the ice silver metallic. I was thinking galaxy silica blue or black something darker than what it is now. The colour is what old couples drive trust me I let one test drive and they customed ordered it with the same specs as me. But I made 50 bucks out of it cause i got the dealer a sale. And no to plasti dipping and I dont know nothing about vinyl wrap. I was really thinking Galaxy silica blue I think that would be bad a$$ Cause no one else will have it muahahahaha. But it will cost alot of money lol. But Im getting 32k for a severance check from the army. So Now I need to decide if its worth spending the money.

32k in bad times is a lot of money. By all means the best course of action is to spend a chunk of it on an frivolous upgrade to a rapidly depreciating piece of property.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
CrossTrekFan said:
suuichi said:

32k in bad times is a lot of money. By all means the best course of action is to spend a chunk of it on an frivolous upgrade to a rapidly depreciating piece of property.
LOL I love the sarcasm I thought about that as well. And I am pretty dead set on driving it until It wont drive anymore. So the depreciation mindset has no means in my eyes I look at it as if Im gonna be the only owner why not make it look like what I love right? Or do you think I will want to trade it in later in life?

·
Registered
243 Posts
suuichi said:
CrossTrekFan said:
suuichi said:

LOL I love the sarcasm I thought about that as well. And I am pretty dead set on driving it until It wont drive anymore. So the depreciation mindset has no means in my eyes I look at it as if Im gonna be the only owner why not make it look like what I love right? Or do you think I will want to trade it in later in life?
I get the desire to upgrade but repainting a brand new car is just a bit..extreme. 32K in one check is big chunk of money to receive at one time (for most of us) and it may not come around again. Set aside a small portion of it for your car and have some fun but maintaining money in the bank will be more satisfying in the long run. Just my opinion.

·
Registered
820 Posts
How about a compromise of sorts? Spend some of that coin on some accent pieces in the blue you want? I've seen plenty of silver/blue combos that look very sharp....a stripe here or there, rear view mirrors and rear spoiler? That way you make it your own/one of a kind and still retain a higher % of the 32K.

·
Registered
800 Posts
RubySu said:
How about a compromise of sorts? Spend some of that coin on some accent pieces in the blue you want? I've seen plenty of silver/blue combos that look very sharp....a stripe here or there, rear view mirrors and rear spoiler? That way you make it your own/one of a kind and still retain a higher % of the 32K.
I like the stripe or accent idea! The blue crosstrek does seem pretty uncommon, but if you are going to pay for painting, why not make yours truly one of a kind?

And simultaneously make everyone here incredibly jealous ;)

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
I am going to have to agree with the others. First off, I REALLY like the ice silver and don't think it's an older person color in the least. Also, spending a big chunk of cash for a good paint job just doesn't seem worth it unless the brand new car had been sand blasted or something to ruin the stock finish.

I think you may be over thinking it a bit. The color is great and very sporty in my opinion.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
LOL thats one with me against everyone else!!!! Well I will get some quotes and see how much I have after I pay all my bills. Plus I have a friend that can get me a great discount cause he owns a body shop. Plus I already have chips in my paint on my hood plus not to mention when that stupid chick hit me I still have to repair that paint. Well see Ill have an official decision in May when I get a couple quotes. And when and if I get it repainted it will be to Subaru standard and maybe with a neat design :) who knows what this crazy fella will do.

On another note, Yes Ill have plenty to put in the bank and not to mention the 1400 bucks a month ill get from the VA. And im gonna get unemployment while I go to school. So I think Im pretty set.

·
Registered
820 Posts
suuichi said:
LOL thats one with me against everyone else!!!! Well I will get some quotes and see how much I have after I pay all my bills. Plus I have a friend that can get me a great discount cause he owns a body shop. Plus I already have chips in my paint on my hood plus not to mention when that stupid chick hit me I still have to repair that paint. Well see Ill have an official decision in May when I get a couple quotes. And when and if I get it repainted it will be to Subaru standard and maybe with a neat design :) who knows what this crazy fella will do.

On another note, Yes Ill have plenty to put in the bank and not to mention the 1400 bucks a month ill get from the VA. And im gonna get unemployment while I go to school. So I think Im pretty set.
I'm glad to hear Uncle Sam is doing right by you :)

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
suuichi said:

Hey, man, to each their own. If it will make you happier and you can afford it, then do it!

·
Registered
21 Posts
I do have to side with the others here, however, if you're going to repaint it, paint it a color that you can't get from Subaru so it will at least be unique. I can't imagine how much time and money that will take though. For that money I'd do an engine or transmission swap or something. Perhaps the money is just burning a hole in your pocket?

·
Registered
105 Posts
LittleBigHead said:
Or there is vinyl wrapping.
That's what I'd do. It will not damage the paint nor hurt resale, regardless of your intentions long term. I worked in the auto industry for a long time, we used to get cars wrapped for advertisement or promotion, looks good and fairly inexpensive.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Chuck said:
LittleBigHead said:
Or there is vinyl wrapping.
That's what I'd do. It will not damage the paint nor hurt resale, regardless of your intentions long term. I worked in the auto industry for a long time, we used to get cars wrapped for advertisement or promotion, looks good and fairly inexpensive.
Ok tell me more where can i get this stuff and can I get special designs and what not?

·
Registered
128 Posts
The silver aint bad. I didnt plan on getting a silver car either because i didnt want to have a common color, BUT The ice silver metallic isnt like the other silver cars on the road. It actually has some bluish metallic in it that gives it a really nice luster look. Hardly the "old people" color you are referring to. Old people color would be the standard flat silver with a slight hint of tan in it.

your other choices.. black? or blue? aesthetically those arent the best colors to get if you want to accentuate the design elements on the XV. that blue you are referring to isnt even a color on the crosstrek. You are probably talking about Marine blue pearl... thats gotta be the most common blue that old people that drive outbacks/foresters get!. The only blue id get is the rally blue that comes on the wrx/sti. Now thats a nice color. The black jsut makes everything blend in. The XV looks best in the brightly saturated tangerine orange, or other light colors like white or silver. It accentuates the body cladding. A darker,dimmer color would just make everything blend in.

In the end, its your car, your money, and your choice. But IMO the other colors you mentioned are just boring and not worth the change.

·
Registered
148 Posts
H15A,

I'm happy with my blue XV. I like that there isn't the big contrast in colors with the black trim. But to each their own, right? Ice Silver was my color of choice when I was thinking about getting an Outback last year. And I think the reason for Suuichi picking a non-crosstrek color was to have something nobody else does.

Suuichi,

3M makes some automotive vinyl wrap. You can do it yourself, but it looks pretty tedious and time consuming. And there is what Chuck said. Find a vinyl wrapping company that does automobiles and see if you can get custom graphics.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
H15A said:
The silver aint bad. I didnt plan on getting a silver car either because i didnt want to have a common color, BUT The ice silver metallic isnt like the other silver cars on the road. It actually has some bluish metallic in it that gives it a really nice luster look. Hardly the "old people" color you are referring to. Old people color would be the standard flat silver with a slight hint of tan in it.

your other choices.. black? or blue? aesthetically those arent the best colors to get if you want to accentuate the design elements on the XV. that blue you are referring to isnt even a color on the crosstrek. You are probably talking about Marine blue pearl... thats gotta be the most common blue that old people that drive outbacks/foresters get!. The only blue id get is the rally blue that comes on the wrx/sti. Now thats a nice color. The black jsut makes everything blend in. The XV looks best in the brightly saturated tangerine orange, or other light colors like white or silver. It accentuates the body cladding. A darker,dimmer color would just make everything blend in.

In the end, its your car, your money, and your choice. But IMO the other colors you mentioned are just boring and not worth the change.
Galaxy Blue Silica is a BRZ color that im sure you can get in other Subarus but Yes I want that blue so no one else will have it plus I had some ideas for it. OMG im just so torn apart from what I want to do. Eh ice blue metallic is a generic Subaru colour. its gonna be one of the colors thats easy to sell because its popular. I for one think its ok but not my cup of tea.

Yeah Ill look around at the vinyl guys. who knows I might pop up some jaw dropping pictures on here randomly LOL!

1 - 20 of 37 Posts