Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I’m looking to put a hitch rack on my 2015 crosstrek to carry a dirt bike... the bike weighs 220lbs and the rack is about 50lbs. My user manual says the max tongue weight 200lbs but I have a class III hitch that says it’s rated for 525lbs so I’m confused what number I’m safe to go with?
Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hitch class ratings have nothing to do with vehicle ratings. The vehicles max tongue weight is taking into account the vehicles suspension and braking system. In the US the tow ratings are usually lower due to liability reasons. I can't speak for the actual tongue weight rating.

·
Registered
15 Posts
You could put a 10,000lb pintle hook on it but that doesn't mean that the vehicle will handle it. Because as Billxp put it, the suspension & brakes have a maximum load and exceeding that can cause a world of problems. Rear wheel bearings would be my #1 concern. An extra 70lbs probably won't break anything but you can expect faster wear and it'll handle like a toad.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Maybe you need an air ride for the back

·
Registered
29 Posts
We've been thinking about one of these swivelwheel trailers for our bike. Seems like you could pull it with just about anything.

·
Registered
32 Posts
We've been thinking about one of these swivelwheel trailers for our bike. Seems like you could pull it with just about anything.
Er, uh, YIKES! Wouldn't that thing be more stable with a wheel at EACH rear corner???

·
Registered
8 Posts
Nice but keep in mind that in the specs it has a 50/50 split on the wheel and tongue weight. So total weight of the swivelwheel and cargo should not exceed 400 lbs. For the cost I think I would still go with a standard trailer.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Er, uh, YIKES! Wouldn't that thing be more stable with a wheel at EACH rear corner???
I think they are pretty stable. They make them with two wheels if you want to carry a lot of weight, but one wheel should be plenty for a motorcycle.
In case you're not understanding the connection, the frame of the trailer plugs directly into the receiver on the tow vehicle, virtually extending the frame of the tow vehicle. There is no ball coupler, nor articulation of the trailer. It's basically a big luggage rack with a caster under it.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I think they are pretty stable. They make them with two wheels if you want to carry a lot of weight, but one wheel should be plenty for a motorcycle.
In case you're not understanding the connection, the frame of the trailer plugs directly into the receiver on the tow vehicle, virtually extending the frame of the tow vehicle. There is no ball coupler, nor articulation of the trailer. It's basically a big luggage rack with a caster under it.
I get the connection and static balance, I'm just thinking about right-left oscillation on real roads (and worse on rough roads). Smaller motorcycle? Sure. But something the size of a Goldwing? I'd be nervous. I'm sure they're fully tested, these are just my unscientific feelings about it. Certainly for a medium/large bike, it seems better than the kind that simply mount to the hitch without any trailing support wheel.

·
Registered
8 Posts
The problem here is that you are still limited by the tongue weight capacity. The location of the rear wheels either one or two will still split the weight 50/50 between the wheel and the tongue. This looks like a great idea for a vehicle like a motor-home where pulling and backing up a trailer might be an issue.

·
Registered
29 Posts
The bike in question weighs 220#. Nobody was talking about a goldwing. The Crosstrek's tongue weight capacity is 200#. If the guy is determined to put a dirtbike rack on his car, I'm fairly certain that ANYTHING would be a better option than that. I'm convinced the swivelwheel is especially a better option for someone who doesn't posses the skills to tow a trailer.
Just sayin'.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts