Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Help! I bought my new Crosstrek last night and I love it. I'm quite short and cannot reach the open hatch to close it. What are some options? DH suggested getting new, shorter struts/shocks (whatever they are called) so it wouldn't open as far. Also thought about a strap to use to pull down but I'm not sure where we'd connect it. Any suggestions?

·
Super Moderator
2,940 Posts
I would recommend putting a strap. Lowering the suspension is far more expensive than installing a strap.

And besides, all one would have to do is remove a bit of the interior panels on the tailgate, install your strap (double-sided tape or whatever method you prefer) and reinstall panels.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks! I used the wrong terms. I think they are gas springs - the things on the hatch that allow it to open and close. Not the suspension.

·
Registered
611 Posts
I've heard of others having issues. You might want to ask you Subaru Service Adviser. Weather a shorter strut or a strap tie to the strut to keep it from extending all the way out. Other than a plastic stool to carry around, a 3 ft rod with a hook to be able to hook the handle to pull the gate down or a strap/rope tied to the tail gate.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I'm surprised there isn't some sort of loop or hook attachment on the hatch. I had some bigger items sticking out the back and had a tough time finding a good way to latch down the hatch. I ended up pushing the latch closed with my fingers and putting ties through that, but there was still room for the ties to slide out. As a result, I just looped it a bunch of times hoping that it would all bunch up and hold - luckily it did.

We need a good loop mod for the hatch!

·
Registered
114 Posts
My 4'-11" mother in law keeps an old cane in her Forester in order to grab the handhold on the rear hatch.

We tried a loop handle but it always ended up hanging outside the car.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My husband and I looked ALL over the hatch and couldn't find anything to attach to a strap. We also tried tying string to the struts. In the end, we went to Wal-Mart and bought a cane. I'm sure I'll get laughed at but it works perfectly! I can't believe more folks don't have this problem. Thanks for all your advice!

·
Registered
57 Posts
Take off one of the lift supports, walk in to an autozone and find a replacement with the same ends but slightly shorter..that would be your best route and is really simple to do..only issue is they can run from $15-$30 a piece..but would prob be less embarrassing than a cane..lol

·
Registered
611 Posts
SubieXVdgm said:
Take off one of the lift supports, walk in to an autozone and find a replacement with the same ends but slightly shorter..that would be your best route and is really simple to do..only issue is they can run from $15-$30 a piece..but would prob be less embarrassing than a cane..lol
Going to a auto parts store and rummaging through their inventory of parts. Isn't a bad idea, hopefully they have a large selection to go through. I would think Subaru has had the same issues with other customers. Do suggest to ask the Dealer or E-mail Subaru Customer Service first.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts