Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've ordered a new 2023 Crosstrek (can't wait for it to come in) and I want to use it to tow a small (less that 900lb) boat and trailer. The Subaru tow package is $600-800 and after-market I can get for less than $250. I was told by the dealer though that the Subaru installed hitch is more secure. So, should I go with the Subaru tow package or after-market hitch?

·
Registered
2021 Crosstrec Premium
93 Posts
If you can get a receiver and wiring for the price you quoted, do so. They are solid, but some are a bit wanky with the wiring harness pricing.
Dealers are going to do their best to convince you to use factory, and sometimes it is best. I'm not too convinced in this case.
Good luck.

·
Registered
7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
I personally think factory is better than any aftermarket ones I've seen. I got the tow package for my 2019 base 6mt. I use it to tow my sunfish sailboat. A few weeks ago I drove 2 hours one way with the trailer on the highway at 70mph not a problem.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I've ordered a new 2023 Crosstrek (can't wait for it to come in) and I want to use it to tow a small (less that 900lb) boat and trailer. The Subaru tow package is $600-800 and after-market I can get for less than $250. I was told by the dealer though that the Subaru installed hitch is more secure. So, should I go with the Subaru tow package or after-market hitch?
The Subaru package is probably rated for a higher towing weight and may be under warranty for a longer period of time including the wiring which includes a box of electronic gismos that seperate braking and turn signal pulses. Maybe you should check the warranty on those parts. I've had one go after only 1 year. I did the replacement myself but if youre not handy it may be something to look into

·
Registered
15 Posts
I recieved my 2021 suburu Crosstrek- outdoor trim in Canada, sport in us. I recieved it straight from the factory in August, one of the new features of that year was the upgraded engine size...and as it happens the redesigned the trailer hitch to include the brake harness as this was not included before. Day of pickup the dealer had not installed the tow package, had to wait 4 hours for them to install it. It took so long because it was the first one installed in Canada due to the new designs of the Crosstrek and hitch...have not had any problems with it. And am quite happy with it...although did not pay as much as they are quoting you...I think it was only $500Cad. I did a ton of research the new design allows for 4 hardpoint mounting points...where as the after market only had 2 that I found, so I do find it more secure. But to each their own...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts