Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently am driving a '14 XV 5 speed manual. I have not installed a tow hitch as I am still researching on its effect on the XV. The system I have an eye on is the Torklift Central's "Ecohitch Invisible" system. I would opt for the 2" versus the 1.25" as the 2" hitch has many accessories readily available without the use of adapters and such.

I know that you can use the factory knockout as the cover, but outdoor climate has an adverse affect on the knockout at times. I am considering the use of this hitch lock accessory specifically made for use on the XV Crosstrek in lieu of the knockout. It is also from Torklift.

Apart from general inputs and opinions, I would also appreciate information on how it has affected your XV (in example: fuel economy, warranty, electrical,et cetera). Also, usage of any hitch accessories (in example: hitch mounted bike rack, hitch cargo basket, et cetera) and electronic braking system.

Let the flooding begin! :D

·
Registered
124 Posts
I have the CVT with the exact same hitch 2". Generally, nothing is observable. It goes on, and it comes off. The lock pins are great, and yes the knockout fits back in like a glove. I just leave my hitch on because I don't know when I have need of my teardrop one week from the next.
I have a 1200lb teardrop that I towed from WV to WA, down to CA, cut across TX, then back up to WV without any problem. Gas mileage did drop to 25mph, but that was expected. Oh, and my tires took a beating. I drove the steepest route into Yellowstone, drove around Mt. Rushmore, and I drove on the 90 through Idaho. The car just keeps on going. Worrying about the small stuff will stop you from enjoying the XV.
This car is just awesome. You won't have buyers remorse if you go with that hitch. IMHO.

P.S. I got the 2 inch ball from the Camper dealer - no problem. Buy from Torklift, then pay $50 for a mechanic to hook it up. 30 min job.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have the CVT...
Thank you for the post! Wow, that was quite the trip! Yellowstone is beautiful! I have yet to explore more of that park sometime. Teardrops were something I was looking into but probably will get an aluminum kayak/canoe trailer and attach something similar to this. Or just invest in this camper.

After gently driving my XV up to the 5k mile mark, I started testing her out a bit. Man, it is a fun car to drive! Last summer, my friends and I took a road to see the Grand Canyon on the July 4th weekend. Left the Bay Area in California down to Laughlin, Nevada for a night after an eight hour drive there. There onwards to the Grand Canyon Village, Arizona as well as a night out in Phoenix. After a couple days at the canyon, headed up to visit the Hoover Dam and stopped Las Vegas, Nevada for a night. Finished up by going up through Yosemite, California to back into the Bay Area. She did not disappoint.

My only disappointment with my XV was that going up on 88 from Jackson to Kirkwood or even Tahoe, she did not have enough power to maintain a steady steep uphill. Otherwise, the XV is just what I need. Efficient, quality, and a fun ride. ;) No buyers remorse, but having it in a diesel would have been a plus. Too bad for California's strict emissions control.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Ecohitch here as well. No noticeable effect on anything. Primary use is hitch-mounted bike rack (Thule T2). Fuel economy takes a hit with rack and/or bikes, obviously.

·
Registered
259 Posts
I have the 2" ecohitch as well. Fairly easy to install, especially if you have an extra set of hands to hold it.

I use mine to pull my ATV on a trailer, roughly 1300lbs. Nothing noticeable from the hitch. You may need to lengthen your safety chains to get around the bottom of the bumper, or at least I did.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ecohitch here as well...
@chasem, that is great! I haven't taken too much thought into bike racks but this one looks like a good design. Primarily I am worried about the handlebars and tire swinging around and scuffing the hatch and bumper. Thule's T2 definitely is going on the list for consideration.

I have the 2" ecohitch...
@Turkeytoe, CTV or standard/manual transmission? I had a Polaris Sportman 500HD but couldn't find a trailer light enough or large enough to meet the factory tow capacity. Obviously going a little over probably won't hurt it but nonetheless, hadn't had luck with that one.

·
Registered
259 Posts
I have the CVT. It pulls it fine, other than the drop in MPGs. I was even on the interstate at 70mph.

·
Registered
500 Posts
@chasem, that is great! I haven't taken too much thought into bike racks but this one looks like a good design. Primarily I am worried about the handlebars and tire swinging around and scuffing the hatch and bumper. Thule's T2 definitely is going on the list for consideration
Well then, with that said, I'll give a little more insight on it.

I was worried about the same things you are and didn't want a roof mount this go-round. T2 solves those issues and allows you to lock the bike more securely than many hitch racks (important to me). The clamp that closes on the front wheel locks in place and there's a cable lock to go through the frame and the front wheel. This prevents someone popping your quick release and taking off with the bike despite the clamp being locked.

Do keep in mind that with the Ecohitch you'll likely have to shorten the stingers of whatever goes into it (definitely needed for the T2)

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well then, with that said...
After reading up on the Ecohitch, they did advise shortening some stingers as the holes won't line up. As for your T2, does it have a lock accessory as the cargo racks do or should a simple bike lock do the trick?

·
Registered
500 Posts
The T2 did need to be shortened. I can't recall by how much off the top of my head (there's a thread here somewhere...) but it was in the neighborhood of 1/4" to 1/2" or so.

My T2 has 5 locks. One to lock the rack to the hitch with a locking hitch pin (I believe this pin came with the hitch, but I can't remember for certain.

Each of the two bike racks has two locks. One lock holds the clamp onto the front wheel, one lock secures each individual cable to each individual bike.

I don't recall for certain whether the T2 came with the lock cores as I had several cores to match my key and locks from other rack setups. I'm 90% sure it did not come with the ones on the clamp, but it may have come with the ones on the cable.

So, worst case, you could buy up to 5 lock cores and cover everything. Minimum I would recommend 3 - one for the hitch and one for each cable.

Or if you're using a bike lock, I'd do 3 - one on the hitch and one for each clamp, then the bike cable to secure it all to the rack.

Sorry if that was a bit long-winded, but I wanted to be thorough

·
Registered
500 Posts
The only other bike racks I've owned have been Thule fork-mount roof racks. Don't recall the model, but the front wheel had to be popped off. Much prefer the T2 to that system.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I use a 6' Gorilla cable tied to the hitch chain loop via a dead bolt and a locking pin at the hitch receiver, effective. Bottom line, if some idiot wants the bike and you're not standing there, it's gone....

·
Registered
2 Posts
Has anybody used a strap on bike mount? Not sure how much I'll be riding bikes so I didn't want to commit to installing a trailer hitch.. Plus it's less expensive lol

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
My friend had used one in the past and it ended scratching the clear coat off of his hatch. The forest green paint now looks acid washed. But that's just one experience. I'm sure others haven't had such problems.

·
Registered
500 Posts
My friend had used one in the past and it ended scratching the clear coat off of his hatch. The forest green paint now looks acid washed. But that's just one experience. I'm sure others haven't had such problems.
I've heard this mentioned before by others. It's enough to give me pause.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts