Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone actually towed a good load with the XV? I want to get a trailer big enough to tow 2 four wheelers. Do you think the XV can handle it? I know towing capacity is 1500 pounds with the subaru hitch, but I have the hidden hitch and they said the weight capacity is 3500 pounds. Has anyone towed jet skis or a big trailer? How about a camper? These are all things in my future and I do not want to buy a truck!!!

This is the trailer I could trade for if the subaru can pull it.

http://raleigh.craigslist.org/bar/3893054974.html

·
Registered
714 Posts
Your cars ability to tow any amount has NOTHING to do with what your hitch says it can handle. Hitches are rated by class, your car's towing capability is based on the cars ability. For example, my mother drives an MDX, we got a great deal on a class IV hitch (we just wanted a 2'' for bike racks but found this one for really cheap). The class IV hitch was rated for over 10,000 pounds which is damn near twice the weight of the car. There's no way in hell or high water that car could even move that amount of weight. You should ALWAYS stick to the maximum rating for the car, not the hitch.

·
Registered
55 Posts
corey, there's no way you could or should tow that trailer with or without 2 four wheelers. The XV is only rated to tow 1500 lbs, and that trailer weighs more than that itself. Its not the hitch thats the problem, Its that the engine/tranny were never designed to tow what you want to. Heck, you only have 140 or so horsepower. I wouldn't pull that trailer loaded with 2 4 wheelers with anything less than a full size pickup. Your just asking a small econo-box to do something it was never designed to do. Also, that trailer probably has a braking system, and the XV has no provision for it..
I am getting a hitch for my XV, but I only tow a small 4 x 6 flatbed trailer to go to the dump or Lowe's occassionally. That size trailer should be about the SAFE limit aas to what you can tow.
Over the years I have towed everything from a small flatbed to a 36' travel trailer, campers, boat trailers, ect. Please don't attempt to tow what your planning with a XV. It will not be safe and will most likely ruin the car.

And yes, the weight of the trailer is part of the weight limit. If trailer weighs 1500 lbs, that's it, no more load.
Grumpaw

·
Registered
81 Posts
Grumpaw said:
Please don't attempt to tow what your planning with a XV. It will not be safe and will most likely ruin the car.

And yes, the weight of the trailer is part of the weight limit. If trailer weighs 1500 lbs, that's it, no more load.
Yes, and ESPECIALLY if the trailer is un-braked...

·
Registered
714 Posts
The 1500 pound limit is for trailer AND load. You could exceed that by a bit and be fine I'm sure but not with what you're looking to do. The ability to tow is based on the cars ability. You won't be able to stop a trailer with 2 ATVs on it, not to mention you will DESTROY the transmission with that much load on it. Moral of the story is don't even try it once.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Subir_roo said:
The 1500 pound limit is for trailer AND load. You could exceed that by a bit and be fine I'm sure but not with what you're looking to do. The ability to tow is based on the cars ability. You won't be able to stop a trailer with 2 ATVs on it, not to mention you will DESTROY the transmission with that much load on it. Moral of the story is don't even try it once.
^^ This

I towed my 5x8 utility trailer over to the tile store last weekend to get materials, ended up getting 1100lbs of tile, 300lbs of thinset, and the trailer weighs about 650. Man, I wouldn't want to go very far with that load. Braking was almost scary. And talk about gutless. It did it, but you could tell it was way maxed out. Mine is a 5spd manual.

Besides, kwads suck. LOL.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Reason I posted this was because I went to the mulch place 3 miles away to pick up a load. I have a little 5x8 trailer and got 3 big scoops of mulch. I was traveling very slow but I was going downhill and got to 50mph and things got scary. The trailer started to bounce back and forth fishtailing, the tires were chirping as I slammed on the brakes firmly but slowly to bring it back to a lower speed. I didnt wreck, but came VERY close. I assume I was over the 1500 limit?

Havent tried towing my four wheeler but it alone weighs 700 pounds, unsure about the trailer.

·
Registered
194 Posts
coreybarnett said:
Reason I posted this was because I went to the mulch place 3 miles away to pick up a load. I have a little 5x8 trailer and got 3 big scoops of mulch. I was traveling very slow but I was going downhill and got to 50mph and things got scary. The trailer started to bounce back and forth fishtailing, the tires were chirping as I slammed on the brakes firmly but slowly to bring it back to a lower speed. I didnt wreck, but came VERY close. I assume I was over the 1500 limit?

Havent tried towing my four wheeler but it alone weighs 700 pounds, unsure about the trailer.

I can tell by your picture that your issue was insufficient tongue weight. The axle is too far forward on that trailer. When loaded with weight this causes fish-tailing as you describe.

I've seen them do it on the hiway with a great big boat or travel trailer and the outcome is a disaster. Pretty amazing to watch though, and the driver turns white as a sheet. If they're lucky the trailer breaks off, otherwise it takes the tow rig out with it. ::)

·
Registered
194 Posts
Omaroo said:
Yes, and ESPECIALLY if the trailer is un-braked...

IIRC the manual specifies trailer brakes required for towing weight over 1000lbs. That could be a hassle for a little utility trailer. Most lightweight trailers don't have brake systems. Only 'till you get to 3-4K lbs capacity do you see them.

·
Registered
81 Posts
CJBROWN said:
IIRC the manual specifies trailer brakes required for towing weight over 1000lbs. That could be a hassle for a little utility trailer. Most lightweight trailers don't have brake systems. Only 'till you get to 3-4K lbs capacity do you see them.
Rules are different here. Any trailer weighing over 750kg (1600lb) with load must be braked.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts