Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
820 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So after putting on Torklift Invisi Hitch over the wk. end- time to test towability. First off, as you can see in pics-near ZERO sagging which is fantastic. Those of you who tow frequently know that stability is greatly improved because of this. The front end is not buoyed up by the weight being applied to rear of vehicle. As far as power- absolutely passes with flying colors- even with my manual 5 sp. Ski weighs in at roughly 900 lbs and trailer 2-300 so at most 1200 lbs. It towed that weight comfortably-acceleration/braking poised and controlled. I'm very pleased with overall performance.

Attachments

·
Registered
421 Posts
How well does the XV pull the skis out of the water? Slipping or loss of power?

·
Registered
820 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ikon said:
How well does the XV pull the skis out of the water? Slipping or loss of power?
Entirely uneventful. I was on steep/oily ramp-no problems. ;)

·
Registered
800 Posts
I don't have any immediate plans for towing, but its good to know that it will do what its supposed to if I ever need it!

·
Registered
113 Posts
I just got mine in today. But I reccomend you get a ball hitch with chain hooks just incase it comes off the ball that way the chains dont take your bumper off lol

·
Registered
820 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
suuichi said:
I just got mine in today. But I reccomend you get a ball hitch with chain hooks just incase it comes off the ball that way the chains dont take your bumper off lol
Is that different than what is shown? (2" ball with chains underneath attached )

·
Registered
113 Posts
RubySu said:
suuichi said:
Is that different than what is shown? (2" ball with chains underneath attached )
Its hard to see at the angle of the photos. I looks like you have the chains attached to the hitch which is behind the bumper and not the ball extension.

·
Registered
927 Posts
RubySu said:
suuichi said:
Bob,

I see what he is saying... the chains can be attached to the receiver extension with the right part ( receiver with chain attachments near the ball )... instead of running under the plastic bumper to the hitch... if it comes off the ball the way you have it, you may damage the bumper cover...

Like this....

·
Registered
118 Posts
I have a Seadoo that is about the same size and weight. I agree; tows like a dream; easy with the CVT. Bumper doesn't drop at all. I have the factory hitch. Too cold to go into the water yet though!

RubySu, I haven't pulled mine over 30 MPH yet; I expect to have it up to highway speeds. How fast did you pull yours? Just curious.

·
Registered
820 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
kyakdvl said:
I have a Seadoo that is about the same size and weight. I agree; tows like a dream; easy with the CVT. Bumper doesn't drop at all. I have the factory hitch. Too cold to go into the water yet though!

RubySu, I haven't pulled mine over 30 MPH yet; I expect to have it up to highway speeds. How fast did you pull yours? Just curious.
I only ran up to about 50 mph....smooth as silk- no problems.

·
Registered
820 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Xtrekr said:
RubySu said:
suuichi said:
Bob,

I see what he is saying... the chains can be attached to the receiver extension with the right part ( receiver with chain attachments near the ball )... instead of running under the plastic bumper to the hitch... if it comes off the ball the way you have it, you may damage the bumper cover...

Like this....
Ah! Now I get it! Thanks for the assist there Todd... I was scratching my head wondering what he was talking about....you see the quote of my father below.....now you know why he said it to me!

·
Registered
820 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
suuichi said:
RubySu said:
suuichi said:
Its hard to see at the angle of the photos. I looks like you have the chains attached to the hitch which is behind the bumper and not the ball extension.
Thanks for pointing out the potential for damage! Never thought of it but clear to me now...nice assist by you ;)

·
Registered
927 Posts
LOLOL!!! Your dad is wise, Bob... VERY wise!!! 8)

·
Registered
113 Posts
RubySu said:
suuichi said:
RubySu said:
suuichi said:
Thanks for pointing out the potential for damage! Never thought of it but clear to me now...nice assist by you ;)
Anytime thats what I am here for!!! Give me some karma for that one lol!

·
Registered
118 Posts
I dont agree; if the pin breaks or falls out somehow the chains are all you have; having the safety chains on the drawbar the whole thing still comes out! The risk of bumper damage is the lesser risk to me.

·
Registered
113 Posts
kyakdvl said:
I dont agree; if the pin breaks or falls out somehow the chains are all you have; having the safety chains on the drawbar the whole thing still comes out! The risk of bumper damage is the lesser risk to me.
I thought about that as well, this is why you check everything everytime before you take off. The chance for either one happening especially the pin breaking is more unlikely than the trailer coming off the ball stinger. My concern is not the structural integrity of the stinger as long as you buy one that has the same or lower weight specs as your hitch. but if you really want to be safe you can connect a chain from the chain hooks from the trailer hitch to the stinger then the stinger to the trailer lol its redundant but im still gonna connect the chains to my stinger just my food for thought and just an opinion!

·
Registered
927 Posts
kyakdvl said:

I have to say that I NEVER use pins on my hitches... I use the locking bars with keys. I say with a lockbar, you are fine.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Xtrekr said:
kyakdvl said:

I have to say that I NEVER use pins on my hitches... I use the locking bars with keys. I say with a lockbar, you are fine.
Hey I love that idea im gonna have to find some. You think they sell them at wal mart or autozone or something?

·
Registered
820 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
They definitely sell them at Wal Mart (but they're made in China :() I saw them when I picked up my hitch. In fact, as I write this, I suddenly remember I SHOULD still have a set in my toolbox. Ah, the [email protected] 47 already?? Geez!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts