Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Installed a Curt trailer hitch on the Crosstrek today. I ordered it from trailerdepot.com and had it shipped to my house in less than 48 hours. total price was 140 and it is a class three trailer and can handle 3500 pounds (not that the crosstrek could handle that, but it's nice to know it's there). The price difference on the class 3 as opposed to the class one was 10 dollars so I went with the heavier duty option. Installation took about an hour in my driveway and I did have to open two holes on the frame in order to mount it according to directions. I did need an extra set of hands when it came time to lift it into place, but only to stabilize the bar while I secured the nuts. All in all I love the way it came out and I am glad to have it done. I would recommend the bar and highly recommend Trailerdepot to anyone interested.
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
421 Posts
Looks great. What do you plan to haul with the hitch.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I want to build a teardrop trailer. I can build or buy one and keep them at about a thousand pounds. I also want it to mount a rack to for coolers and things if I go fishing.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
927 Posts
Doesn't look like you had to cut any of the rear valance for this hitch.... correct? Just a bolt-on? No cutting or trimming?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Correct the body stayed intact and the hitch bolted on the frame without issues. It fits perfect and looks good. The instructions were even crosstrek specific.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
194 Posts
Looks good!
I've ordered one as well, should be here next week.
I really wanted the Torklift hidden hitch but just couldn't justify the extra $100. For the difference I got all my wiring for front and rear, front tow bar and rear hitch. I'm not going to offroad mine hard so the extra clearance wasn't worth it either (for me). The hidden feature is nice though, gotta admit.

I had a Curt hitch on my last two cars and they're great. I also went with the 2" reciever - lots of inserts and bike rack already hanging around the garage here.

I tow a 5x8 utility trailer...it's my pickup truck on the rare occasion I need one. Hauls my motorcycles too.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,240 Posts
Looks good. What did you need to install? Just a drill with a good bit to open up the holes, or is there a lot more involved?

CJBROWN said:
Looks good!
I've ordered one as well, should be here next week.
I really wanted the Torklift hidden hitch but just couldn't justify the extra $100. For the difference I got all my wiring for front and rear, front tow bar and rear hitch. I'm not going to offroad mine hard so the extra clearance wasn't worth it either (for me). The hidden feature is nice though, gotta admit.

I had a Curt hitch on my last two cars and they're great. I also went with the 2" reciever - lots of inserts and bike rack already hanging around the garage here.

I tow a 5x8 utility trailer...it's my pickup truck on the rare occasion I need one. Hauls my motorcycles too.
How much clearance do you lose with the Curt?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
194 Posts
ClubCrosstrek said:
How much clearance do you lose with the Curt?
You don't lose it under the car, just at the back for 'ramp' or 'departure angle' as the technical term goes. So about 2". If you're going to offroad thru gullies and such then you lose some at the back of the car.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,240 Posts
CJBROWN said:
ClubCrosstrek said:
How much clearance do you lose with the Curt?
You don't lose it under the car, just at the back for 'ramp' or 'departure angle' as the technical term goes. So about 2". If you're going to offroad thru gullies and such then you lose some at the back of the car.
I see. Don't think that would really be an issue for me!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I didn't lose much ground clearance. Just rear end angle. I used a good sockets set and the instructions called for an angle grinder for holes. That would probably be easiest but I opened them up in about ten minutes with a power drill and a titanium bit. I just ground out on the edge where I needed room. All in all pretty simple install without much needed.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
820 Posts
You have to open two existing holes in the TorkLift also....to either side of the spare tire, just above the frame....Sounds like the same with the Curt. Curt looks good, I just had never seen a setup like the Invisihitch...that's why I went with it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
800 Posts
Thanks for the pics milburnj, the hitch looks really nice.

Now here's a stupid question from someone who has only driven tiny little sedans previously- Do I need to install a hitch in order to mount a rear bike rack, or is that just for towing? What is behind the square piece on the rear bumper that pops out?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
500 Posts
Depends on the type of rear rack you get. There are hitch- and bumper-type racks. Hitch racks obviously require hitches- and bike racks and hitches come in 2" and 1.25" varieties. Bumper racks mount with straps and bars via pressure typically.

There's nothing [on the US-spec XVs] immediately behind the knockout in the rear bumper. Well, there's a plastic housing, but it houses nothing. Go far enough behind it and you hit your muffler.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
194 Posts
Got my Curt hitch yesterday and installed it last night. It's really a quality piece, easy to install, very heavy duty.
Wiring was a piece of cake as well, there's a cable plug right in the back of the car. I have never had an easier vehicle to setup trailer wiring for.

Very happy with this setup! Now I just have to try it out with the trailer.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
23 Posts
RubySu said:
You have to open two existing holes in the TorkLift also....to either side of the spare tire, just above the frame....Sounds like the same with the Curt. Curt looks good, I just had never seen a setup like the Invisihitch...that's why I went with it.

Unless you take the "remove the bumper route" like I did. ;D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
820 Posts
Oops! That's right. Forgot that option. Do you feel it was easier that way? I realize you can't actually compare but I guess I'm asking did you find it pretty straight forward? (For those who are weighing which option to choose)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
194 Posts
There is simply no reason to remove the bumper cover to install either aftermarket hitch. I cannot comment on the oem, however it seems to me that is the process for that hitch - not sure why. The R&R process of the entire bumper cover simply increases risk of damage to it or the keeper tabs that hold it to the main body. I know, I had to remove the front for the towing baseplate installation. Definitely required for that. It is very easy to risk poor alignment when reinstalling, and/or damage to it from the process. IMO it's a really bad idea.

The forward-most hole that the hitch is bolted on with is rather large to begin with. With a diegrinder or dremel (I used the latter) you simply grind two notches opposite each other so that the backer plate for the bolt and the carriage bolt head can pass thru. Using the fish-wires you insert both pieces and then fish the bolt end thru the plate and out the hole. It's harder to explain than to actually do it.

My guess is that done once, an installer could grind and fish the bolts, and install the hitch in minutes. The biggest consumer of time is for the first-timer to actually understand the whole installation process if they have never done one like it before.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
23 Posts
RubySu said:
Oops! That's right. Forgot that option. Do you feel it was easier that way? I realize you can't actually compare but I guess I'm asking did you find it pretty straight forward? (For those who are weighing which option to choose)
I think so. I started to go the original route with the drilling, but realized I didn't have anything that would work too well to make the holes bigger.

I didn't have to put the XV on ramps or even take the steps with getting the muffler out of the way. Remove bumper cover, remove bumper, install hitch, replace bumper, replace bumper cover, done.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
194 Posts
Finally got a chance to try the hitch out today. About 900lbs here, can't hardly even tell it's back there. Very pleased with performance. With 2 bikes on will be closer to 1200 lbs., maybe a little more.

My trailer has a 'spring-over' for extra clearance as it mostly gets towed behind a 32' Winnebago. So I use my 6" drop insert upside down. Works out quite well.





 
1 - 20 of 41 Posts
Top