Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
Wow, this seems petty. I really dislike the "sue anyone and everyone" attitude that a lot of big companies have these days (I'm looking at you, Apple).

My guess is this will be thrown out -- most people can tell the difference between a bicycle and a CUV.

·
Registered
7 Posts
They should re-brand some of the bikes and cut a deal with Subaru to get matching paint on them. Then they could use the bikes name as a selling point with outdoorsy type Subaru XV owners. Incidentally, that would make them seem a lot less petty and a little more business smart.

Thanks for finding the documentation!

-SkyNet

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
SkyNet said:
They should re-brand some of the bikes and cut a deal with Subaru to get matching paint on them. Then they could use the bikes name as a selling point with outdoorsy type Subaru XV owners. Incidentally, that would make them seem a lot less petty and a little more business smart.

-SkyNet
That actually sounds like a cool idea. I would be interested in a Crosstrek-orange Trek bike!

·
Premium Member
2,941 Posts
Like I said before, I'm disappointed in Trek and torn between the two :(

I just want the two to make up and get over it!

·
Registered
104 Posts
After reading the whole thing my impression is that Trek is just really trying to defend anyone from using the word 'trek' in any combination of words in order to protect their brand.

One little thing that I did find interesting was that Trek states they make two bikes, the CrossRip and CrossRip Elite, and was worded manner which implies that even the 'cross' part of Crosstrek is somehow wrong by Subaru. I looked up those two bikes and found out that they are brand new, 2013 designs. The application by Subaru for the Crosstrek trademark was in 2011.

I'd also like to know from Trek how exactly a car with the name Crosstrek is hurting them financially. That's where I am somewhat confused.

I predict that this lawsuit will result in Subaru owners not buying Trek bikes. I find it highly unlikely that any Trek riders will not buy a Subaru because of this. There are a lot of bike options out there....there's only one Subaru.

·
Registered
500 Posts
contrail_25 said:
I predict that this lawsuit will result in Subaru owners not buying Trek bikes. I find it highly unlikely that any Trek riders will not buy a Subaru because of this. There are a lot of bike options out there....there's only one Subaru.
I agree. I was already turned off to Trek, personally. I mean, they make good quality bikes (and I was tempted to put a project one bike on my 'someday' list...) but honestly one of the biggest thing that kills it for me is that every Trek has the word "Trek" on it at least ten times. I hate flash and I hate overkill. That's just too much.

Looking at my Specialized right now... I can see "Specialized" in two places (either side of the downtube) and "Allez" in two places (either side of the top tube), then of course the "S" on the head tube.

Anyway, I'm straying... my point was going to be that I'll grant that I wasn't a big Trek fan in the first place, but this would be one of those things that kind of turns me off to them a bit more.

·
Registered
603 Posts
Unless Trek bike has a singular copyright on the word "Trek" specifically.. they'll be out of luck. And if they go this far.. why not go in and sue the producers of "Star Trek" while they're at it. bone heads.

Glad I just bought a new Kona bike. Good to know I support the right-minded businesses.

Besides.. if out of the most remote chance, some ridiculous court order comes through, that Subie has to remove the word "Trek" from Crosstrek.. that means our cars just went way up in value.

·
Registered
927 Posts
Some people and their lawyers... sheesh!!! They need to find something better to do with their time and stop wasting it.....

·
Registered
800 Posts
I wish I was surprised. But as clubcrosstrek said, we are entering a precedent of corporations suing almost nonstop over any possible trademark infringement. :(

·
Registered
243 Posts
SkyNet said:

-SkyNet
This is a much better approach and it's one that could apply across several products/brands that fit the Subaru "lifestyle". Who knows, maybe the Trek folks tried something like that and Subaru didn't go for it. There's often some sort of history behind these lawsuits.

·
Registered
243 Posts
kyakdvl said:
I have a couple of Trek bikes and I live in Wisconsin. I'll leave one on their doorstep with a note...
If you want to go viral and get your 15 minutes of fame drive over one of them with your Crosstrek and post it on YouTube.

I want a shoutout when you're on CNN though.

·
Registered
118 Posts
CrossTrekFan said:
kyakdvl said:
I have a couple of Trek bikes and I live in Wisconsin. I'll leave one on their doorstep with a note...
If you want to go viral and get your 15 minutes of fame drive over one of them with your Crosstrek and post it on YouTube.

I want a shoutout when you're on CNN though.
Tempting

1 - 20 of 44 Posts