Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well today my friend and I plastidipped our emblems and I did my grill. All in all I was very impressed with the product, however I kind I funked up my grill so I'm going to try it again tomorrow. The last 2 pics are the 2 chips I found next to the grill and one on the hood. I'm ver upset about this. Has anyone had chips in their paint yet? And did the dealership fix them or what?

Attachments

·
Registered
10 Posts
Plastidip looks good! I might do it with mine, if I can find the time.

No chips yet, but I DID manage to dent the rear hatch with my elbow. WTF?!?!
It didn't close all the way, so I "nudged it" with my elbow.
Result? Dent.

I couldn't be more satisfied with Subaru in general, but their metal, panels and finishes leave a lot to be desired!

·
Registered
927 Posts
Looks great!

I have a few chips... 2-3 as far as I know since I washed it last weekend. Most of the time, the touchup is best and not hard to work with... it fills them pretty good. I use a toothpick to get the paint directly into the chip to fill it. It may take a couple applications depending on how deep.

I will wait a good 4-5 days to make sure the paint in the chip is a tad higher than the finish, then hit it with1000 grit wet sand paper and water just on the chip and about a fingerprint's area around it. Work the buildup down to the finished paint and hand buff it out.... don't work the finish too much as clearcoats are not as thick as they used to be.

I have been using this technique for years

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
The grille looks great. Did you remove it or just tape around it?

overthewall said:
I think the paint on my XV is its low point. I have may be a dozen chips here and there.
The paint is the low point of Subaru, in my opinion. This is my third one and they have all had cheap paint and I remember everyone on the WRX forums complaining about it.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I just taped it off. I like the look of this grill plasti dipped. However now that I've seen it on my XV I think in the next couple weeks I'm just going to order the mesh grille. The installation seems pretty easy.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.