Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally got my XV tuned! Along with the axel back exhaust, CAI and grimmspeed pulley, I've achieved a substantial amount of low in torque and throttle response....Mission accomplished :D Tested my 0-60 after a couple days with the new tune and wow mid 7s. Not my main objective but Super Stoked! Posted a link to the video if you want to see it.

https://youtu.be/AppYgScckuQ

·
Premium Member
2,941 Posts
HOLY HELL! 0-60 in around 7 seconds in the CVT?!?!

Wow, that seems so tempting... but for now, I'll leave my mod list to just a Borla exhaust in terms of power.

Is the engine tune done by a local performance shop, or is this a purchased OTS map?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Did you remove the charcoal
carbon vapor screen?
I did when I first got it and used a K&N filter, then I purchased the SSD cold air intake. People say it does help but it does make a difference. For the first month I would check to see if it was hot when I got home assuming that if it was sucking hot engine air it would be on fire. Only time it would get warm is if I was stuck in a lot stop and go traffic on a hot day. Now that I've flashed my ecu it really makes a difference. I've been running logs with the Tactrix and airflow with it is been as high as 139 g/s. I want to put the stock back and run logs to see if I can get the same numbers.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
HOLY HELL! 0-60 in around 7 seconds in the CVT?!?!

Wow, that seems so tempting... but for now, I'll leave my mod list to just a Borla exhaust in terms of power.

Is the engine tune done by a local performance shop, or is this a purchased OTS map?
I pulled my map and emailed to throttle happy out of Australia, he adjusted it and sent it back and I uploaded it. I had seen on FB that he had made a flash for the XV. He had posted some screen shots of trottle maps and results and it was just to temping. It was easy and I can re flash back to stock in two minutes if I want to take it in to Subaru. It's funny everyone said it wouldn't be worth it to mod this car but I've only spent a total of around $1200 for all the mods. I think it was well worth it!

·
Registered
611 Posts
Doing a ECU flash, you just voided your cars warranty. If you go in for a problem like a bad shock no problem. But if you're having engine problems for whatever reason they go to check the ECU, weather you reflash it back. They know it's been tampered with, and will not honor the warranty because of possible abuse, like RACING and OFF ROADING.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Doing a ECU flash, you just voided your cars warranty. If you go in for a problem like a bad shock no problem. But if you're having engine problems for whatever reason they go to check the ECU, weather you reflash it back. They know it's been tampered with, and will not honor the warranty because of possible abuse, like RACING and OFF ROADING.
Yeah could be true but highly unlikely the engine in this car goes bad and it's a chance I obviously thought through and was willing to take. I have mechanics friends, that work with Subaru, tell me it will be fine. Plus the original XV that was tuned with this flash was back in 2013 and still running no problems. So the way I see it odds are in my favor and bet I would get away with flashing back to stock, in the very unlikely event something goes wrong with drivetrain.

·
Registered
2 Posts
you can just reflash back to stock and put your old intake back on and they wouldnt know the difference. There is no special black box that only Subaru has access to that will tell them you flashed the ecu.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I've been thinking about the SSD strut tower bar for a while now. Is there a noticeable difference in handling? Also, how did tuning affect gas mileage?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I noticed quite a bit of deference in the strut bar. Might make it a little tight if you do lots of off roading. I do mostly street driving and enjoy the better handling. As for the tune my gas mileage didn't change much, I think it's even a little better. The best part about it is the lower end power. No longer has that sluggish feel.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Took a chance with the XV.....I took it for service with the Ecu tune and they said nothing. The head tech told me I should consider pulling my cat. They said the love the setup under the hood! Haha gotta love Hawaii!

·
Registered
611 Posts
Serviced do you mean oil changed? If so they have no reason to check your ecu. Now if your have an idle or knocking sound then I would suspect them to check to see if you tampered with it. I had purchased new TPMS not OEM from tire rack, basically manufactured from the same company. In my town of Orlando, Fl only Subaru could reprogram them to sink with the car. If their that anal about air pressure. I'm sure there's some way if you altered the car from stock they'll know. You might want to read this thread. What voids he warranty? - Scion FR-S Forum | Subaru BRZ Forum | Toyota 86 GT 86 Forum | AS1 Forum - FT86CLUB

·
Registered
41 Posts
Nice tune!

Finally got my XV tuned! Along with the axel back exhaust, CAI and grimmspeed pulley, I've achieved a substantial amount of low in torque and throttle response....Mission accomplished :D Tested my 0-60 after a couple days with the new tune and wow mid 7s. Not my main objective but Super Stoked! Posted a link to the video if you want to see it.

https://youtu.be/AppYgScckuQ
If you live in Colorado Springs, "someone" might be able to pump up the HP/torque, see here:

Atlanta/North Atlanta Crosstrek Meet - Page 11

·
Registered
2 Posts
Sorry to jump on board so late but I'm new to this tuning business. What do you use to communicate with the app on your phone? The Tactrix? What did you send off to Throttle Happy? I have no clue how this works. I've got a couple mods (lightweight pulley, Borla exhaust, charcoal delete) but want a CAI next and I know I'm not getting any real improvements until I reflash or whatever haha. Thanks!

·
Registered
12 Posts
After doing quite a bit of homework, it appears to me that the Subaru air intake system is already a CAI as it is plumbed over to the right front fender and drawing air from outside the engine compartment. Makes me think that replacing that with another CAI wouldn't buy me that much. Planning on removing the carbon filter element and replacing the stock other filter with an AEM that allows a bit more airflow through it. $48 versus roughly $250! Would love to hear feedback from anyone else who has played with this!

·
Registered
34 Posts
After doing quite a bit of homework, it appears to me that the Subaru air intake system is already a CAI as it is plumbed over to the right front fender and drawing air from outside the engine compartment. Makes me think that replacing that with another CAI wouldn't buy me that much. Planning on removing the carbon filter element and replacing the stock other filter with an AEM that allows a bit more airflow through it. $48 versus roughly $250! Would love to hear feedback from anyone else who has played with this!
This is what I did, switch to a K&N filter, plus at one point I added a "poor man's hi-rise" which is basically a machined plate to make the last portion of the intake before it reaches the plenum longer. I forget which I did first, but each offered some increased performance. Pulling the carbon filter, if anything, seemed to reduce performance. The difference is felt in ease of passing vehicles and maybe a tiny bit of off-the-line power. I'd really like to see the results graphed, in stages, with an optimized tune after each.

The stock intake is pretty much a CAI... but after a few years of looking at it, the plastic's pretty thin and it doesn't seal completely. It would be nice to redesign the OEM tube and box with performance in mind, but short of that you probably have to fab a box to get an aftermarket to pull fresh air.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts