Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have replaced my front rotors on a recent brake job and still have the original rotors. They had about 72000 miles on them and each measure to be about .940 inches (24mm) thick. A local shop can turn them for $20 each.

I'm wondering if it is worth turning them (which removes about .030 inch). What was the original thickness and how much was worn away in 72000 miles? The minimum thickness is stamped on the rotor to be 22mm, so If I have them turned, it will take them to a little over 23mm.

I compel thee to opine.

·
Super Moderator
2,941 Posts
You may be able to get away with it if you're an easygoing driver with a lot of freeway miles. However, if you're a spirited driver and/or have a lot of city miles, you are likely better off buying new rotors to match the new pads.

·
Registered
309 Posts
On my 2006 Impreza I did my pads at 60000 km then both pads and rotors at 120000.

At 60000 the pads where half worn but the rotors where pristine so I left them untouched.

Also I think brake fluid needs to be exchanged every three years, but there’s a litmus kit one can buy if one really wants to confirm water contamination. Cheers

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I am going to have them turned and get one more life out of them. I found a spec page (https://www.onlinecarparts.co.uk/oenumber/26300sa001.html) that shows new thickness to be 24mm. So if 72K+turning=less than 1/2 of usable thickness gets used, then I can get one more life out of them. The local shop says he sees this quite often, that OEM rotors hold up better on the car and can be turned to revive them. Aftermarket rotors, not so much.

Since my daily commute is 60 miles (round trip) and at least 2/3 of that is interstate, then I would say this should be fine.

Thanks for everyone's input!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts