Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Another excellent day with the Subaru Club. New member Benadette (Chrisgirl) and her XV accompanied us on a jaunt to Eastern Creek Raceway, west of Sydney. The facility has a reasonably difficult test track which was designed and built by the Australian 4WD Association. It is quite testing, and had many of the larger and extremely capable 4WDs dangling. The little XV's scooted around as usual and were great fun. I took mine everywhere except the deep mud hole, as even the big boys were having trouble there. Other than that, Bernadette covered most of the track too, only missing a couple of the most challenging obstacles. I'm positive that as she gains a little experience she'll be unstoppable.

Watch the horizon - it'll give you an idea of the angles we get to :) At around 8:20, I go onto the "wombat holes" section, where holes nearly a couple of feet deep and five foot long alternate left to right to cross up the axles. Interesting stuff, and the traction control really, really works on the CVT. External footage of the wombat hole section courtesy of Bernadette - thank you! :)

Enjoy (21 mins):

Two Subaru XVs at Eastern Creek Raceway 4WD Test Track

·
Registered
800 Posts
Great videos Omaroo! Makes me wish there were some trails I knew about around me. Or maybe I just need to get creative and go find them!

·
Registered
94 Posts
"It's not designed for Subaru's. What I'm saying is you get the big trucks stuck, but not the Subaru's. It's not long enough."

It pays to be small and agile!!

I have to find a course like that around me!!!! That place looks like a blast!!!

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
silverrey said:
"It's not designed for Subaru's. What I'm saying is you get the big trucks stuck, but not the Subaru's. It's not long enough."

It pays to be small and agile!!

I have to find a course like that around me!!!! That place looks like a blast!!!
Well... it's not quite that simple. :) Whilst this particular part of the test track was designed to maximise the cross axle articulation on large (normal size in Australia) 4WD's, the Subaru's fortunate length and complete lack of suspension travel negates the problem presented by design. In other words, because the Subaru can't get its wheels down into the 2 foot deep holes and still maintain contact on the crests, it just drives across the top with a couple of wheels cocked. The traction control did the rest. It's still pretty impressive that the XV went around this course, in an apples vs apples test - and managed to go where the big 4WD's go - with one major exception. The bog hole. We would never get through. You need high clearance, mud tyres and plenty of power.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts