Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all

One thing required by many 4WD clubs is the ability for everyone to communicate throughout the convoy via UHF radio. I'm not sure what band you guys in the US use. One problem with them is that they are generally difficult to fit in a car-like vehicle without being seen - as opposed to a large 4WD which are designed to have these sorts of things fitted. Tempting to prying eyes, UHF radios are regularly knocked off around here in Sydney. The solution is to find one with a small front end that is unobtrusive and easily hidden yet still within easy reach of the driver. Many radios these days have the controls in the mic, with the main unit hidden under a seat or behind the dash.

The GME (Aussie brand) TX3400 is perfect for the job, with the head unit sitting comfortably under the extended armrest - out of view until you slide the armrest back. Neat, and hidden from view until you need it. The mic's coil sits neatly in the exit grooves in the top of the storage area so that you can hide the mic in the armrest as well. The main unit is nestled under the seat, and takes no real room anyway.

The aerial is a "through the glass" unit developed by GME as well. 2db gain, it's perfect for convoy duty without resorting to having to fit a larger one on a nudge bar or ugly magnetic base on your paintwork. It can be unscrewed for car washes and when not in use so it, too, doesn't get knocked off.

Photos: 1) Aerial 2) Nicely hidden from view with the armrest pulled forward 3) Exposed and ready to use

Cheers
Chris

Attachments

·
Registered
74 Posts
Nifty - I don't know if any of our 4WD clubs are that keen on safety in the US. I know we have considered a CB radio just to be safer - especially if we're off-roading alone. Alot of people probably think you can just use your cell phone to call for help, but those don't always get reception in rugged areas :eek:

·
Super Moderator
2,941 Posts

·
Registered
927 Posts
Nice and concealed! Love it! All of our members ( 99%) at Reno4x4 have either a CB or HAM ( or both ) to communicate....those who don't are highly encouraged.

Cobra makes a nice setup with all controls on the mic and very easy to install for those thinking of hooking up a CB

·
Registered
79 Posts
Nice clean installation and a very nice compact unit, I'll be linking this to the Forester forum UHF thread. Wondering if there is a North American equivalent.

theyellowroseoftexas said:
Nifty - I don't know if any of our 4WD clubs are that keen on safety in the US. I know we have considered a CB radio just to be safer - especially if we're off-roading alone. Alot of people probably think you can just use your cell phone to call for help, but those don't always get reception in rugged areas :eek:
Rose not to go to far off Chris's topic, but there is a product from Spot that will work with your smart-phone via satellite in areas where you have no cell phone reception. http://www.findmespot.com/en/index.php?cid=116 It gives you the ability to send email or text messages only, but better than nothing when you need help.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts