Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I love and hate this car. Love the style, Subaru's reputation, safety and the like. I hate the seats! These have to be some of the worst seats ever! Too much lumbar, too thin and hard on the bottom and overall a horrible sheep feel and to top it off, the passenger seat sits too low and doesn't adjust up or down. I have to say however, that they look awesome, but is deceiving. The seats take away from the handling of the vehicle and almost makes it dangerous to drive on curves. Its so bad that I'm considering taking a huge loss ant taking it back! Is there anything that can help? Does anyone have the same problem?

·
Registered
148 Posts
Just curious, why did you buy the car if you hate the seats so much? And what makes it dangerous on curves? Not enough side bolstering? Maybe you just haven't found an ideal seating position yet. It took me about a week to get my seat just perfect.

Or do you think there might be something physically wrong with the seats? I've had a broken tension wire in my last car that caused me horrible back pain until I fixed it.

I am 5' 6" and I like the seats just fine. I have the cloth seats though, but I have also test driven a limited with the leather seats a few times and I thought they were okay. I hope you can figure out the problem, because taking the hit on getting rid of a new car would suck.

·
Registered
194 Posts
The seats are fine, just not plush, and nothing like a bmw or mercedes.

It does beg the question though, you sat in it, drove it, checked it out, and bought it when you hate the seats? Just buy new ones. Go to a custom shop and have them build new seats on the old pan, or pick up some impreza seats and have those done. Might be a grand or two, but if it suits then it's money well spent.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I actually have bad lower back problems that are very severe that I am being medically boarded from the army because of it. I am 6' 3 and I find the seats and suspension of the vehicle while driving freaking amazing. I have no pain in my back at all. My only complaint is not enough room to stretch out my long legs lol.

·
Premium Member
2,941 Posts
If you cannot resolve your issue with the stock seats, there's still the option of using Recaro aftermarket seats (you can still have upscale features on Recaros) or other aftermarket seats with better bolstering and support. However, it'll cost a pretty penny, but I'm sure the stock seats will command quite a price too.

·
Registered
800 Posts
Hi subtidi, I have the limited also, but I haven't had any problem with the stock seats, nor my wife in the passenger seat. I don't think I've heard anyone else have complaints about them either. I'm with LittleBigHead on this one- maybe something is actually wrong with the seat that needs fixed?

·
Registered
61 Posts
If it helps, I'm not one to get caught up in the hype of something and sing praises, when it is not deserved. But, I'm in with the others here...maybe your seats are poorly built (last ones before lunch), but the design isn't bad. I wouldn't spend a dime on them, until the dealer looks at them.

I also have the leather version. I drive 60 miles, each way, to work and I go TDY a lot (which puts my butt in a lot of rentals). So, I've seen more than my share of crappy seats, the kind that feel crappy as soon as you sit in them, but my XV's seats are not in this category. I'd say take a look at what you think is wrong with the seats, and then take a look at how you are driving it. Are you cornering at normal speeds/G's, or is "dangerous to drive on curves" because you slide out of the seat when your rear tires slide past your front tires in a high G drift? If normal is what your doing, and your seats aren't doing what they are supposed to, then haul it in to the dealer and make them take a look at the construction of the seat. After that, you can take more drastic measures.

·
Registered
820 Posts
subtdi said:
I love and hate this car. Love the style, Subaru's reputation, safety and the like. I hate the seats! These have to be some of the worst seats ever! Too much lumbar, too thin and hard on the bottom and overall a horrible sheep feel and to top it off, the passenger seat sits too low and doesn't adjust up or down. I have to say however, that they look awesome, but is deceiving. The seats take away from the handling of the vehicle and almost makes it dangerous to drive on curves. Its so bad that I'm considering taking a huge loss ant taking it back! Is there anything that can help? Does anyone have the same problem?
Guess its time to switch to the goats! Sorry, really, I'm a goofball!

·
Registered
421 Posts
The WRX seats may feel better. But this is an expensive mod. Aftermarket seats are great and can cost anywhere from $200 to 2000. Most sport aftermarket seats run in the $200 BUT, the brackets to mount the seats can run $500 or more. Most seats are not interchangeable. Keep the stock seats

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
RubySu said:
subtdi said:
Hhaha yea missed that by a long shot...gues i was thining about getting sheep skin covers for the seats but then what's the point of getting the leather.
Guess its time to switch to the goats! Sorry, really, I'm a goofball!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I like the car very much and want so bad to LOVE it and not think about the seats, but guess I was spoiled by a 2010 VW GTI that i was driving before. The GTI'S seats were perfect on cornering and evrything else. Sad to say that car was stolen. The Crosstrek is amazing in many ways: allwheel drive (for the price), the gas milage and even my insurance went down significantly from the VW and my wilfe loves driving it. Has anyone modified their seats like some of you mentioned? I wouldn't want to replace them all toghether, but maybe have a shop add more cussion to them if possible. I never realized that would be an option. It's my first Subie and hope not my last. I'll do some research on the seats and take it back to the dealer to see if anything is wrong. Thanks for all the info!

·
Registered
820 Posts
You have every right to be dissatisfied with the product if you feel your individual seats are not living up to expectations- there could be something about your particular seats that warrant replacement. As the others have suggested, it may be a good move on your part to take back to dealer and see what they propose to remedy the situation. Could be a defect that didn't show up initially and is now being exposed after use....stranger things have happened that is for sure.....just sayin.

·
Registered
113 Posts
RubySu said:
You have every right to be dissatisfied with the product if you feel your individual seats are not living up to expectations- there could be something about your particular seats that warrant replacement. As the others have suggested, it may be a good move on your part to take back to dealer and see what they propose to remedy the situation. Could be a defect that didn't show up initially and is now being exposed after use....stranger things have happened that is for sure.....just sayin.
Yes indeed stranger things!!!!

·
Registered
15 Posts
I guess this is one of those things, where it comes down to individual preference. I bought the XV Limited and the leather seats seem fine. I left military service with lower back issues, and I like the lumbar support. I would prefer lumbar support was adjustable, but the amount that is availble feel fine to me.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I absolutely love the seats and they feel great and very supportive but I do have the cloth version and did not try the leather and leather and does feel different. As others have said I would go back to the dealer and test out other XVs with the leather seats and see if your particular seats are the problem and if so let the dealer repair or replace. Good luck!

·
Registered
820 Posts
I am in love with my cloth seats...so comfortable and cool. The humidity here in SC is a big problem for me and when I sweat on leather it just gets sticky and gross. Cloth seems to help with that by letting my back breath. Apologies for any mental imagery!

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
RubySu said:
I am in love with my cloth seats...so comfortable and cool. The humidity here in SC is a big problem for me and when I sweat on leather it just gets sticky and gross. Cloth seems to help with that by letting my back breath. Apologies for any mental imagery!
Trying to avoid any mental imagery, I agree, the cloth seats are much cooler. However, I am still a BIG fan of leather and would have preferred that had it been in my budget.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I would like to report that I will be keeping my awesome Crosstrek... I'm getting used to the seats and have found different positions to where it’s more comfortable to sit. The Crosstrek just has so many good things about it that this was minimal inconvenience. I took it to the dealer who said they had tightened some bolts and did some other hokey-pokey stuff to it, but whatever they did made me feel better (probably the placebo effect). At any case... I’m a proud owner of my first SUBIE!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts