Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,
As I came home from work on Friday, I parked in the driveway for a while because I knew we would be leaving again shortly. When I came out, noticed a new strange small puddle underneath the car under the passenger side. I was curious, but shrugged it off as a one time thing.

But then noticed it again while out running errands yesterday. I know to expect a drip on hot humid days when running the A/C, but this was not the case. Temp was only in the 60s, I was NOT running the A/C, yet here's this steady drip underneath the passenger side.

Looking under the hood, I could find no obvious sign of anything leaking, still from underneath it was hard to determine where it was coming from. I dipped my finger in it and it seemed colorless, odorless, thin and clear, like water. From up top, I kept looking and looking... until I think I finally identified a short drain tube that looks to be the source. I was almost ready to take it back to the dealer for an inspection, but now I think I can wait.

I'm going to assume everything is normal but I just wondered if the collective expertise of the group here can tell me where this might actually be coming from? (Oh and I did do a couple of searches before starting this thread, but results were from posts complaining about water dripping INSIDE the floor on the passenger side, I checked under the floor mats and it's all dry inside. This is just an external drip as far as I can tell.)

I even captured a picture of a drop in motion using burst mode on iphone's camera—this view is from the right side just behind the front passenger side tire... (the puddle it was making not in view)

·
Super Moderator
352 Posts
Have you been running the defroster? If so, that also uses the A/C system to remove moisture so you don't blow wet air onto a frozen windshield.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
2,941 Posts
RallyeBourne is correct. If you have been using the defroster, it will operate the A/C regardless of what the A/C indicator light shows.

But if you have not been using the defroster, then that's quite odd.

·
Registered
74 Posts
You don't mention the color of the fluid if as others have said, running defroster or AC will cause water to drip from drain line. If it's oil or coolant, then you should have it investigated asap.

Sent using Tapatalk Pro

·
Super Moderator
352 Posts
You don't mention the color of the fluid if as others have said, running defroster or AC will cause water to drip from drain line. If it's oil or coolant, then you should have it investigated asap.

Sent using Tapatalk Pro

He does mention the color characteristics in the below quote, which was in his original post.

I dipped my finger in it and it seemed colorless, odorless, thin and clear, like water.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It is very probable that the windshield defroster was on as that's been more or less my 'default' setting where I've left it most of the time, at least throughout the winter months. The air was a bit humid here when I spotted this so I'll bet you guys are (as usual) absolutely correct in that's what it is. I'll try running with it off and check if it goes away.

I did not realize that simply directing the airflow towards the windshield invoked the A/C system on this car. Is that fairly common or one the the little peculiar XTrek/Subie quirks? It's actually a nice feature, now that I'm aware of it!

Thanks for all your insight and input. That's what I love about this Forum.:cool:

·
Registered
50 Posts
It is very probable that the windshield defroster was on as that's been more or less my 'default' setting where I've left it most of the time, at least throughout the winter months. The air was a bit humid here when I spotted this so I'll bet you guys are (as usual) absolutely correct in that's what it is. I'll try running with it off and check if it goes away.

I did not realize that simply directing the airflow towards the windshield invoked the A/C system on this car. Is that fairly common or one the the little peculiar XTrek/Subie quirks? It's actually a nice feature, now that I'm aware of it!

Thanks for all your insight and input. That's what I love about this Forum.:cool:
Defrosting or "demisting" the windshield is doing the same as the A/C. It is pulling moisture out of the interior. This is standard for pretty much ALL cars.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Just a thought.... Maybe water from the sunroof drain..... If you have a sunroof. Not sure where it drains. Had a S10 blazer and the sunroof drains ran down the A pillars and dumped on the door hinges causing premature hinge pin failure. I am rambling on, sorry!

·
Super Moderator
2,941 Posts

As additional input, yes, this is extremely common among electronically-controlled HVAC systems.

Another note on A/C operation, the A/C automatically shuts off during high load (heavy or full accelerator pedal application) as well as when the engine computer senses a potential engine overheating condition.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
As additional input, yes, this is extremely common among electronically-controlled HVAC systems.

Another note on A/C operation, the A/C automatically shuts off during high load (heavy or full accelerator pedal application) as well as when the engine computer senses a potential engine overheating condition.
Good to know all that. All this time I assumed running the windshield defroster was shooting only warmed air up that direction, not realizing it was also being dehumidified at the same time (though I will intentionally turn ON the A/C with temp set to HI when high-intensity defogging is needed). Nice. Therefore, A/C is about really conditioning the air, and more than just being a chilling unit in the summer.

So today I made sure not to run the air up to the defroster/windshield, just kept the airflow to vents (and feet) and no water drippage underneath at all. :)
I'll keep watching it.

@mifiremedic: sorry to hear how that didn't work out so well for your S10. Ouch. I won't have to worry about that one as I don't have the sunroof though there are times I wish I did!

·
Super Moderator
352 Posts
Yes, the whole point of A/C is removing moisture from the air. And the heat is retained in the moisture. Or something to that affect. Idk exactly how it works, I never passed that ASE Cert, I hate A/C systems.

·
Super Moderator
2,941 Posts
The A/C does just that, dehumidifying the air. So the moisture (read: water vapor) is removed from the air that goes through the HVAC system once it passes the evaporator which takes the heat energy of the water vapor.

With the blend doors in a cool/cold position, this results in cooler air because some heat is removed from the air by removing the water vapor, which has a higher thermal capacity than the air in the atmosphere.

However, when the blend doors are in a warm/hot position, this simply results in the dehumidified air that is able to pick up additional water vapor. The routing of the blend doors add heat from the heater core of the cooling system to keep the air warm/hot when in a warm/hot position.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts