Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all!

Nice place you have here... Well, I work out of Montana over on the North Dakota side of the Bakken oil field. I currently have a 2010 Dodge Ram pickup, it's a lease, with a few months left. Honestly, I could run out and grab another Ram, but boy am I tired of pickups, especially the weekly $100 fill ups.

So, you all seem to like these CTs, are they really that good? Oil field tough? Not that I'm going to be tearing around out by the rigs, but I really am concerned with the horse power, or lack there of. Most everyone out here drives 70+ on the two lanes, including big trucks, which is what I drive for a living. Honestly worried about getting run over, as there are few cops out here to keep these yahoos in check. Four fatalities in the past week, two separate accidents all within a mile of my camp.

If anyone is up this way that has a Crosstrek I would surely appreciate any thoughts.

Mike

·
Premium Member
2,941 Posts
Horsepower is adequate. If anything, it's in line with older models acceleration numbers.

But if you're concerned about passing power, perhaps taking a look at the new 2014 Subaru Forester may be a better option. The base model has a 170HP flat-4, and the new Forester XT has a 250+HP turbocharged flat-4 that shouldn't have you complaining about passing power.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
AWDfreak said:
Horsepower is adequate. If anything, it's in line with older models acceleration numbers.

But if you're concerned about passing power, perhaps taking a look at the new 2014 Subaru Forester may be a better option. The base model has a 170HP flat-4, and the new Forester XT has a 250+HP turbocharged flat-4 that shouldn't have you complaining about passing power.
The Forester looks to cookie cutter blah to my eye, as does the Outback, not really interested in those models. The looks of the Crosstrek really caught my eye, along with the mpg, AWD and the ground clearance. I really need to drive one, unfortunately the closest one to my location is in Billings MT, which is a two day trip in the car, or $150 roundtrip from the airport. I normally work 14 days straight and get a day off, not easy to get these sorts of projects done properly. Subaru should have offered a turbo charged version, what were they thinking? I would just have one delivered to my workplace and be done with it. Maybe I'll just keep the Ram...

·
Registered
74 Posts
To be honest, I'm not as impressed with the strength of the bumpers/body cladding as I would like to be. I've already cracked part of my bumper and "skid plate" (it's only plastic), granted it was on some pretty thick ice that not many other cars would have fared any better on, but I am just used to my old truck's cladding that was pretty tough. I was told by the dealership the bumpers are very light weight in order to keep the gross vehicle weight down to improve gas mileage and that a forrester would be tougher in that regard.
As for power, I haven't been able to do much highway driving (I mostly drive back roads) but I would say it is definitely good enough to overtake people even at 70mph, there is just some delay in the CVT transmission that you have to get used to, downshifting with the paddles helps with this too.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Poego said:
To be honest, I'm not as impressed with the strength of the bumpers/body cladding as I would like to be. I've already cracked part of my bumper and "skid plate" (it's only plastic), granted it was on some pretty thick ice that not many other cars would have fared any better on, but I am just used to my old truck's cladding that was pretty tough. I was told by the dealership the bumpers are very light weight in order to keep the gross vehicle weight down to improve gas mileage and that a forrester would be tougher in that regard.
As for power, I haven't been able to do much highway driving (I mostly drive back roads) but I would say it is definitely good enough to overtake people even at 70mph, there is just some delay in the CVT transmission that you have to get used to, downshifting with the paddles helps with this too.
Really, the bumper and a plastic skid plate are cracked? I'm going to hold off on this until I can actually see one of these vehicles. I think I will just purchase my truck when the lease is up in April. Since I've been up here she has already taken well over $6000 in damage from flying debris ($3500-$5000, not yet repaired, hood dent, blown out mirror, busted windshield x 3) to a hit in parking lot ($3000, replaced rear bumper and tailgate). It's a zoo up here, and I would hate to see what a Crosstrek would look like after a year. One good hit with a rock flying off a truck may do some serious damage if the Crosstrek's construction is as you say.

Thank you for replying, I really appreciate it.

Mike

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
Hey, Mike, thanks for joining and asking.

As much as I love my Crosstrek, it sounds like you really should check one out before you purchase. The AWD, ground clearance and MPG are great for me, but I work in film production out of an office five days a week, with things like camping and hiking trips on the weekend; not in the "zoo" you work in. I do agree that the skid plate, if you can call it that, is really cheap. As far as the bumpers and whatnot, I am not sure, but I bet a pickup truck would be better equipped.

I will say overtaking at 70mph/generally keeping up in LA traffic has never been an issue for me.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.