Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a real quick question; is anyone else having issues with theier XV reading USBs? It's not that it won't read them (and I have tried multiple), it is just that is stops reading/playing, shows a "reading USB" message, then resets to the first folder. It also wont read some of the folders (i.e., skips 1, 2 goes to 3, skips to 5 and so forth). This doesnt happen on the same tracks/folders, so it isn't a corrupt data file. It never happens at the same time either. Sometimes it plays, sometimes it stops during a trip, and other times it happens on start-up.

I would appreciate any input you all have before I go back to the dealer.

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
It sounds like you're talking a USB drive, right? Not an iPod/phone/MP3 player plugged in through the USB port?

I have only used a USB stick a couple of times in my Crosstrek, but I never had any technical problems with it. I hate the folder navigation of it, but that's a different issue. You say you've tried multiple different drives so I wonder if something is wrong with your USB port. Have you tried an MP3 player via the USB port to see if that works any better?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yep, just the USB. I don't have an MP3 player that runs through the USB, so I havent given that a try. I am talking just MP3s on a USB drive.

·
Registered
800 Posts
I had a problem initially with a usb drive not playing my songs, but then I realized it was "my" problem. I was using songs from itunes, which are M4a's I believe. Once I converted them into mp3s, I had no problem. The XV also seems to be able to play WMA's though the booklet doesn't say it can (to my recollection).

·
Registered
91 Posts
What capacities are you using? I know there is a maximum the XV supports but I forget what it is. I use an 4GB with mp3s and it works fine. You might want to try formatting with FAT16 or FAT32 which may also help. Also check how many folders and files per folder you have. I believe the limitation is max 200 folders and max 1000 files per folder.

·
Registered
800 Posts
I also encountered that the XV doesn't see more than 255 songs in a list. I initially a usb in with ~600 songs, but it only assigned numbers and played the first 255. I found that making folders of 255 each allows the XV system to "see" all of the mp3s on the drive.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts