Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Noticed today that I have a slight ticking noise; sounds like lifters or valves..., most apparent when accelerating and it increases in speed with acceleration. I saw some other posts suggesting it has something to do with the whole PZEV thing.

I have 300 miles on the ODO.

Assuming its normal but want some comfort!

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oil is up to the second dot on the stick, so it's good.

To hear it well I need the radio off and the HVAC off; at least in the CVT model (which apparently has more sound deadening on the hood). Happens at all engine temps, its been around 32F here lately. Not as loud at idle, but with the hood open I can hear what I would say is normal injector ticking.

I'm starting to wonder if it's the gas I I put in it yesterday... could be the first time I noticed it too. I put in Kwik Trip 87. I'll have to see what it sounds like with some BP or Mobil in it and stop buying their gas (have been for years). That is, if this is unusual.

·
Registered
820 Posts
I think our cars were built on the same day! Yep, got the ticking noise but it seems like normal valve operating sounds to me. If it gets worse, well, thank goodness for warranty! I'm pretty sure though its probably normal if it sounds as mine does. A touch more mechanical sounding than other motors I've enjoyed but otherwise good to go.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thelosis said:
Are you sure it's not the injectors firing?
Could be, never owned a Subaru until now, so compared to all the other stuff I've had it's different.

Twist2Stop said:
Does it change if the car is cold or hot?
nope

·
Premium Member
2,941 Posts
kyakdvl said:
Oil is up to the second dot on the stick, so it's good.

To hear it well I need the radio off and the HVAC off; at least in the CVT model (which apparently has more sound deadening on the hood). Happens at all engine temps, its been around 32F here lately. Not as loud at idle, but with the hood open I can hear what I would say is normal injector ticking.

I'm starting to wonder if it's the gas I I put in it yesterday... could be the first time I noticed it too. I put in Kwik Trip 87. I'll have to see what it sounds like with some BP or Mobil in it and stop buying their gas (have been for years). That is, if this is unusual.
Hmmmm, Kwik Trip is actually on the Top Tier list of fuels, so I have doubts it's the fuel... unless the other top-tier suppliers have a better blend for the Subaru FB20 engine.

Supposedly, the timing chain on these 3rd generation Subaru engines are a bit noisy, but I don't think that's the issue you have.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well I listened to my mom's 2013 Impreza Sport 2.0i, makes the same ticking but I'd say its quieter. We both have CVT's and use the same gas. Interesting.

Checked oil again today; 1100 miles and hasn't moved at all. Maybe one of my injectors is defective.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I have had my XV for a couple of weeks now. I traded a 2011 WRX on the XV and have had 2 other Subarus (Forester Xt and 2002 WRX). I immediately noticed that the XV is very noisy on start-up after its been sitting and cold. Noticeably more noisy than any of my past subaru's. After you get the engine started and the oil circulating the noise subsides, even before the engine would have had time to warm-up. I think it has something to do with the timing chain vs timing belt personally.

·
Registered
229 Posts
The same tapping noise was present on our XV and still is to some minor extent. We purchase the Manual so it didn't have the underhood insulation. We installed the insulation and it decreased the sound slightly, but it was still noticeable.

During the first thousand mile break-in period we shifted around 3k rpm and went easy on the brakes to utilize the downshifting engine/trans braking mentaility.

We just hit the 1k mile mark and had the oil changed at Subaru. Changing the Oil actually decreased the tapping sound significantly. I realize that other members have more mileage then we do, so the oil change theory may be more psychologically satisfying than actual.

·
Registered
820 Posts
The said:
The same tapping noise was present on our XV and still is to some minor extent. We purchase the Manual so it didn't have the underhood insulation. We installed the insulation and it decreased the sound slightly, but it was still noticeable.

During the first thousand mile break-in period we shifted around 3k rpm and went easy on the brakes to utilize the downshifting engine/trans braking mentaility.

We just hit the 1k mile mark and had the oil changed at Subaru. Changing the Oil actually decreased the tapping sound significantly. I realize that other members have more mileage then we do, so the oil change theory may be more psychologically satisfying than actual.
That's the cheapest and best kind! Lol!

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The said:

I've considered changing my oil now (1500 miles) dealer said 3,000. Why did you change yours early?

·
Registered
33 Posts
I'd be curious to see how many are hearing this too...I just stopped in at the dealership and mentioned this too. I'm just at 1k and it's very prevalent when the engine is in the first 10 minutes or so of running and driving. Less so, after warmed up. It sounds like a small exhaust leak or a fft fft fft fft/tapping, then the boxer growl after warming. I'm hoping the break in and the oil change help.

·
Registered
820 Posts
I had it in the beginning but it is completely gone at 13K. Not a hint. As far as early oil changes, I know there are a couple schools of thought that sponsor doing so- I'm not claiming to know which is best but I personally prefer to leave it in a little longer. My understanding is that there are special break- in additives. When I say "longer" I don't mean 5-7K, I mean 3K and out it comes. For the sake of discussion, is there info out there that supports changing at 1,000 miles?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Hi,
Thank you for the reply and hope that this sound will fade. I don't have anything that supports changing at 1k, but with as few as are complaining about the noise I'm describing, I'm starting to think it may fade as the engine wears in. I'm only at 1100 now and considering changing my oil soon to see if it starts to calm the sound. I drove in this morning and it's annoying to hear it now that I know what to look for. It really does sound like a flutter/tapping sound. Do you recall how long yours did it for before it started to be less?

·
Registered
820 Posts
Unless I'm misremembering, I m thinking around 5K. Which was a couple grand after my first change. I agree with your thinking, that it will become less of a concern as the miles pile up. Just throwing that ? about the 1,000 K info out there to see if others might have particular knowledge about it....wasn't trying to put you on the spot necessarily :)

·
Registered
33 Posts
That's encouraging to hear about the 5k mark. I am in hopes it does...sounds like a darn sewing machine. lol I know the boxer engines are hardly refined, but it would be nice that a 2013 sounds more like an engine and less like a tractor.

As for the 1k mark, I am just basing that on hearing of other folks who encourage changing the oil early on a new engine. Some have indicated they like to flush out the break in oil early and get fresh in the engine. However, several of the service folks I've spoken with say that with newer engines what was once convetional wisdom isn't necessarily the case.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts