1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
927 Posts
That does sound good! The only thing I hate about it is.... THERE IS NO INFO ON WHAT THEY DID!!!!!

The other concern I have is how that would sound with a CVT..... the CVT in operation wouldn't compliment an exhaust in my book... at least trying to 'hear' it in my head.

Try to imagine it....

·
Registered
714 Posts
My guess is they removed the rear muffler and replaced it with a straight pipe.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Subir_roo said:
My guess is they removed the rear muffler and replaced it with a straight pipe.
Yeah he had another video where he said it was a muffler delete.

·
Registered
714 Posts
That's a quick and simple way to do it! Doesn't sound too bad but I bet it drones quite a bit.

·
Registered
111 Posts
That's probably the cheapest way to go for exhaust sound. I had a Cobb turbo back on my 06 WRX and although it costs me some $$, I loved it. I'd dish on another exhaust if it actually helped performance on an NA motor, but I doubt there's isn't much of a market for an aftermarket XV Crosstrek exhaust, let alone for an NA motor.

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
Pretty cool, I liked the sound, but only sometimes. I don't know how to describe what I disliked about it -- it just was too "crackly" at some points. Overall I liked it, but I don't think I would want it on my XV.

·
Registered
111 Posts
The sound of a catback from an NA motor and a Turbo motor are very different. I prefer the Subaru rumble from the Turbo motors.

·
Registered
714 Posts
The big contributor to the difference in sound from the Turbo Subaru motors to the N/A motors is the difference in header design. The N/A motors had an essentially equal length header while the turbo cars had unequal length headers. If you put an equal length header on a turbo Subaru it will sound VERY VERY different. Much more like the N/A cars or any other car out there, likewise if you put an unequal length header on an N/A car it will bring out the rumble!

·
Registered
927 Posts
Now THIS sounds awesome....

Subaru XV FOX Endschalldämpfer

Now the price is WAY out there.... ( German built )

Still don't quite know how ANY modified exhaust would sound with the CVT....hmmm

·
Registered
714 Posts
That does sound pretty darn good!

·
Registered
927 Posts
It's funny.... people complain about this FOX Exhaust... BECAUSE IT HANGS TOO LOW..... :eek:

They need to go to SOCAL where railroad crossings on streets hang up on axle ubolts... lol!!!

·
Registered
820 Posts
I like the sound of both exhaust! You can still hear the motor above the sound of the exhaust in the first video when he's on his way back to camera. Nice purrrr....

·
Registered
927 Posts
Bob,

This is the CHEAPEST way to go if you like it.... it's a muffler delete. unbolt the flange from the muffler and fab up a straight tailpipe..... I personally think it is too 'raspy' at times... low rumble (like the fox) and nice RPM range sound is what I will shoot for...

·
Registered
714 Posts
While we were playing under the XV doing some fab work we looked at the exhaust and all you would need to fab a straight pipe is about 8 inches with a bend in the middle, a hanger, and a flange. You could just dump it right from the flange that's there and turn it down on the drivers side. I personally would consider fabricating a decent axle back using maybe a magnaflow straight through muffler. They tend to sound pretty dang good on Subaru motors.

·
Registered
927 Posts
I thought the same thing.. One of the bullet style Magnaflows... Hmmm

Sent from my iPhone 4s using Tapatalk

·
Registered
820 Posts
Hey Todd,

You know, I m off for a few days and I m thinking of heading downstairs to do just that! Would you have any concerns about lack of back pressure damage to motor? I m thinking no but want a second opinion.

Thanks!

·
Registered
714 Posts
Generally changing the muffler out shouldn't cause any issues. You still have two cats right at the header which are going to effect flow much more than the muffler at the rear of the car.

·
Registered
820 Posts
That's a good point. Thanks for the input. I ll post if I do it. I have a buddy with a muffler shop and a lift which makes it quite easy. Plus I can bum a bunch of spare pieces from him! All depends on how busy he is.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts