Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
That's awesome, but unless it's snowing it won't catch much. Now if it was snowing there aren't many other cars I'd rather be in.

·
Premium Member
2,941 Posts
I applaud them for using a Subaru as their vehicle, but I sure hope to heck they're using the turbo diesel version! And glad they're using the XV and not the regular Impreza since the XV does have a few upgrades that makes it more suitable to heavy-duty use.

WARING: off-topic ramble below
Personally, as an American, I wish Subaru of America would offer a police package (stripped down with police-specific wiring, reinforcements, and such) for the Subaru Outback 3.6R and Subaru Legacy 3.6R.
Remove all the luxury amenities that aren't offered in police cars but equip it with heavy-duty modifications and reinforcements for police departments for the ultimate can-do-all pursuit vehicle.
The 256HP flat-6 would provide adequate performance, and unlike the EZ30, the EZ36 only requires regular 87 AKI gasoline. The lift on the Outback would make for easy curb-hopping and an excellent gear-hauling vehicle (and light off-roader), while the Legacy's sport-tuned suspension would make for a great pursuit-worthy vehicle.

Unfortunately, Subaru only offered two government/public service vehicles, the Subaru Legacy postal wagon (right-hand drive), and the Subaru Outback SSV (basically an Outback with different color paint and specific accessories that could be bought from a dealer).

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
AWDfreak said:
I applaud them for using a Subaru as their vehicle, but I sure hope to heck they're using the turbo diesel version! And glad they're using the XV and not the regular Impreza since the XV does have a few upgrades that makes it more suitable to heavy-duty use.

WARING: off-topic ramble below
Personally, as an American, I wish Subaru of America would offer a police package (stripped down with police-specific wiring, reinforcements, and such) for the Subaru Outback 3.6R and Subaru Legacy 3.6R.
Remove all the luxury amenities that aren't offered in police cars but equip it with heavy-duty modifications and reinforcements for police departments for the ultimate can-do-all pursuit vehicle.
The 256HP flat-6 would provide adequate performance, and unlike the EZ30, the EZ36 only requires regular 87 AKI gasoline. The lift on the Outback would make for easy curb-hopping and an excellent gear-hauling vehicle (and light off-roader), while the Legacy's sport-tuned suspension would make for a great pursuit-worthy vehicle.

Unfortunately, Subaru only offered two government/public service vehicles, the Subaru Legacy postal wagon (right-hand drive), and the Subaru Outback SSV (basically an Outback with different color paint and specific accessories that could be bought from a dealer).
Isn't it true that the government here (America) will only use American-made vehicles, hence the heavy use of Dodge and Ford?

·
Premium Member
2,941 Posts
ClubCrosstrek said:
Isn't it true that the government here (America) will only use American-made vehicles, hence the heavy use of Dodge and Ford?
Yes, in fact that's the reason why the new Chevrolet Caprice PPV isn't so popular. It's built in Australia (it is after all the Holden Commodore platform).

The Tribeca, Legacy, and Outback models sold in North America are made in the United States of America.

http://www.subaru-sia.com/

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
AWDfreak said:
ClubCrosstrek said:
Yes, in fact that's the reason why the new Chevrolet Caprice PPV isn't so popular. It's built in Australia (it is after all the Holden Commodore platform).

The Tribeca, Legacy, and Outback models sold in North America are made in the United States of America.

Yeah, but I figured if the manufacturer, i.e. Subaru, wasn't an American company than the government wouldn't even consider it. Maybe that's just something I've been mislead to believe.

·
Premium Member
2,941 Posts
ClubCrosstrek said:
AWDfreak said:
ClubCrosstrek said:

Yeah, but I figured if the manufacturer, i.e. Subaru, wasn't an American company than the government wouldn't even consider it. Maybe that's just something I've been mislead to believe.
I wouldn't doubt it but specific local laws in certain areas require public vehicles are to be made IN the United States of America. The American manufacturers are the most popular since it does give off the impression they are American made.

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
AWDfreak said:
ClubCrosstrek said:
AWDfreak said:
ClubCrosstrek said:

I wouldn't doubt it but specific local laws in certain areas require public vehicles are to be made IN the United States of America. The American manufacturers are the most popular since it does give off the impression they are American made.
Ah, got ya. I don't think I've ever seen anything other than Ford/Dodge in the four cities I've lived in.

·
Premium Member
2,941 Posts
Got said:
Just talked to my cousin in the UK. Apparently the police XV are turbos and according to him they go like stink.
So they're quick AND fuel-efficient?!

Sweet! ;D

Subaru BOXER turbo diesel FTW!

·
Premium Member
2,941 Posts
ClubCrosstrek said:
AWDfreak said:
Got said:
Just talked to my cousin in the UK. Apparently the police XV are turbos and according to him they go like stink.

Sweet! ;D

Hopefully here in the states sometime! At least the turbo if we can't get diesel.
As far as I know, there is no turbo gasoline option for the XV at all internationally.

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
AWDfreak said:
ClubCrosstrek said:
AWDfreak said:
Got said:

Sweet! ;D

Hopefully here in the states sometime! At least the turbo if we can't get diesel.
As far as I know, there is no turbo gasoline option for the XV at all internationally.
True, but we have the WRX and STi, obviously, so I know they can do it!

·
Premium Member
2,941 Posts
ClubCrosstrek said:
AWDfreak said:
True, but we have the WRX and STi, obviously, so I know they can do it!
FA20 DIT engine swap... sounds fun.

If Subaru would swap in the FA20 DIT and the X-MODE hill-descent/low-traction control, it would make the XV more off-road capable than a Forester! (And it would steal sales too!)

·
Registered
111 Posts
When i was Hawaii, I noticed the police out there had different cars. I was told by an officer that officers can use their own personal vehicle for patrol. I did see a Mustang and an STI, both fitted with the light bars and bumper bars. It was pretty awesome to see.

·
Registered
714 Posts
There are a few counties around here that us non US vehicles including Volvos, Subarus, and in the past Saabs (dropped these for obvious reasons).

·
Registered
714 Posts
Yeah, there are quite a lot of non domestic cars used by police around here. A lot of other places I go it's nothing but ford/dodge. I imagine it's simply up to the county to decide what they want.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts