Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I keep seeing all these projects of plasti-dipping, figured I'd create a topic on it.

I "Dipped" the emblems, and the front grill and fog lamp assembly on a 2010 Outback.

·
Registered
927 Posts
You did a fantastic job on the lettering... I take it you just took your time and taped them off carefully? I may want to tackle this soon....

·
Registered
354 Posts
We plastidipped the side body molding...I don't think I would have the patience for the lettering!lol But am very happy with how the molding came out :)

·
Super Moderator
352 Posts
I plasti-dipped some eyelids onto my headlights. I did them in vinyl first, but got bubbles under the hood area, so I went to the good ol' dip.

·
Super Moderator
352 Posts
ClubCrosstrek said:
It all looks great. Eyelids could be really cool on the Crosstrek.
Agreed. I just haven't quite figured out where the lines would go for the eyelids yet. But I'm sure that will change when I actually have one of my own and can stare at it for hours on end. You know, without creeping the owner out...

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
How did you get such a clean line for your eyelids?

The whole process for the letters took me about 35 minutes, this included masking off the 2 sections(I did the Subaru on the other side too.) drying time of 5 minutes between coats and peeling. It's really much easier than you think.

This weekend I'll spray the logo on the rear hatch. To keep the chrome ring black and keep the rest as it is. I'll shoot some video of the process.

·
Super Moderator
352 Posts
andthereyouare said:
How did you get such a clean line for your eyelids?

The whole process for the letters took me about 35 minutes, this included masking off the 2 sections(I did the Subaru on the other side too.) drying time of 5 minutes between coats and peeling. It's really much easier than you think.

This weekend I'll spray the logo on the rear hatch. To keep the chrome ring black and keep the rest as it is. I'll shoot some video of the process.
I worked in auto body for a few years. Masked lots if stuff. The trick with plasti dip is to pull the tape while the dip is still damp. That will leave a nice clean line.

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
RallyeBourne said:
ClubCrosstrek said:
It all looks great. Eyelids could be really cool on the Crosstrek.
Agreed. I just haven't quite figured out where the lines would go for the eyelids yet. But I'm sure that will change when I actually have one of my own and can stare at it for hours on end. You know, without creeping the owner out...
I was looking at mine today and thinking about it. Seems there is a good line to follow that wouldn't block anything. If I remember I'll take a picture to outline it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts