Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
820 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After driving 600+ miles last week to Louisville, Ky., I popped my hood to check fluids after allowing car to sit overnight. I was shocked to see about 1/4 inch of oil surrounding the oil filter in the basin. Upon inspection, it appeared that my dealer put the wrong filter on last oil change which was about 1500 miles ago. The part # did not match what is in our manual. The manual calls for 15208AA160. It describes the filter color as black. I just so happened to have a spare unopened oil filter in my glove box that I had bought but then decided to have Subaru change oil because I was at dealer for another problem. Anyway, I put on the new filter, it was black and matched the part# in our manual. Drove all the next day- no oil in basin. I sent a email to dealership as it was Saturday, no one in service. Basically, I said that I thought the tech had put the wrong filter on my XV. Service managers response is below:

This does sound concerning to me as well, that the oil in the filter housing. To correct the concern of the oil filter, Subaru no longer offers the black oil filter Part#15208AA160. Subaru has replaced the black filters with blue filters that are utilized on all the new 2.5b and 2.0b engines, part # 15208AA15A.

I have inspected several different oil levels on the new models after operation and have found oil level to fluctuate a bit from one to the other. All vehicles having the same fill quantity. I currently do not have a solution or better explanation of this condition but will inquire with Subaru of America.

Thanks for your input, it will help

Kevin Hoskins
Service & Parts Manager
Crews Subaru of Charleston

I put in a call to SOA and they are checking on it and will get back to me in am. Can anyone shed any light on this? I certainly did not receive a email saying do not use the oil filter part# in your manual! Is it possible that they put the wrong oil filter on and service manager is just trying to BS me? I wouldn't think so but then I've never heard of a manufacturer changing oil filters on a vehicle. These things are usually r&d'd to death before a decision is made. I'll be very interested to hear SOAs response. What do ya'all have on your Crosstrek??

·
Registered
148 Posts
The black filters are made by Tokyo Roki. The blue ones are by Honeywell I think. I just bought an oil filter Saturday from the dealership and got a blue one with the 15A part number. I've seen on some other subaru forums that this is how it is now. At least in the U.S. No more black filters.

Are you sure that the dealership tightened the oil filter completely? Or too tight? Either could cause oil to leak.

·
Registered
820 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey LBH, That makes me feel much better. I did loosen it by hand quite easily so know chance of over tighten. Guess it could have been too loose from them...? I'm really surprised about the change though- any idea why? Cost?

·
Registered
927 Posts
Bob,

This has been discussed in a previous thread and this is the response from Subir_roo:

Just so everyone knows, the black TR filter (15208AA160) has been superseded to a blue honeywell filter ending in 15A. The TR filter will no longer be shipped to your dealer, they will receive the blue 15A honeywell filter. They may have some back stock of the black TR filter but any orders they place from here on will be the blue honeywell filters. I'm sure that goes for the online sellers as well as they source the filters usually from local dealers at wholesale.

Also, the blue honeywell filter ending in 12A for the EJ series motors has the same specifications as the one for the new cars, the only difference is height of the filter. We have many customers who use the new style filter for the EJ motors with zero issues. There's no point in using the 12A in place of the 15A however because all you're doing is reducing filtration surface.

Read more: http://clubcrosstrek.com/index.php/topic,305.0.html#ixzz2SYxLnXcR

·
Registered
820 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Todd. You see my sig line!

Ps-don't go looking at that new light thread ;D

·
Registered
148 Posts
I haven't changed my oil yet in the XV, so I'm not sure how easy backing off the filter is going to be. I don't think it should be too easy to loosen though, by going off changing filters on my previous scoobs. A little muscle should be involved, yes? Unless I'm just really weak. Or you are overly strong.

But right on this blue filter it says to tighten "7/8" turn after the gasket makes contact. That seems like it should be pretty snug.

·
Registered
820 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It must be that I'm overly strong! Yea, I'm going with that! Lol! I was able to tighten the black the full turn it suggest on exterior of filter. Guess I should have just snugged up the blue ::)

·
Premium Member
2,941 Posts
RubySu said:
It must be that I'm overly strong! Yea, I'm going with that! Lol! I was able to tighten the black the full turn it suggest on exterior of filter. Guess I should have just snugged up the blue ::)
I think you made the right call.

You technically had a correct, updated filter. However, the black Tokyo Roki oil filters are sought after much like black gold due to their high "Japanese quality".

Unlike the black one, the blue Honeywell oil filter probably uses cardboard end caps compared to the Tokyo Roki's metal end caps. Not that the blue one is "bad", it's just that it's a little lower quality (but still meets Subaru specs).
Now, Honeywell is indeed the FRAM brand, however, publicly-available FRAM oil filters indicated for Subaru engines do NOT meet Subaru specifications, and only happen to have the same threads as other vehicles' oil filters. Only genuine Subaru Honeywell filters meet Subaru specs, not any other Honeywell products as far as I'm aware.

·
Registered
820 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks AWDFREAK, that was a much more thorough explanation than I've received from dealer. As mentioned, i spoke with SOA. They were supposed to call me yesterday...never heard from them. As far as I'm concerned, case closed. Just wish I had bought a few more black filters.

·
Registered
927 Posts
Bob,

Scout EBAY... I have seen 3 and 6 -packs available at a decent price....the black ones... thinking of getting a few for the shelf myself

·
Registered
714 Posts
Beware of the ones listed on eBay. A lot of those sellers source them from their local dealers and will send you the blue ones and tell you that they supersede which is correct but not what you're looking for. Just be sure if you buy them to confirm they actually have the black filters in stock and aren't just ordering them from their local dealer at wholesale. I've seen a few people order the black ones and end up with blue filters instead.

·
Registered
820 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ok guys, thanks for the heads-up.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts