Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What road bike do you ride? It would be great to see some pictures. I ride a 2013 Cannondale Caad 10. I can't wait to get a hitch mount rack to put it behind the Crosstrek. I will get pics soon!!

·
Registered
500 Posts
I ride a 2010 Specialized Allez mostly for now.

I just recently found that a smaller size fits me a bit better, so I'm looking into upgrading at some point over the next year. Haven't yet decided between a Tarmac or Crux with some road wheels to swap out for road riding.

I also have a '73 (I think) Raleigh Super Course that I ride on occasion.

This picture was taken right after I got it. Some changes have been made (seat post reversed, for starters) since this picture.

·
Registered
69 Posts
my Bianchi Zurigo cx bike, seen here on the left in it's natural elements is my road bike :D

where i live i have access to gravel roads. so sometimes I end up doing mix surface rides. normally i just leave my race tires on from the previous season and use them all winter long. Next time I'm putting some slicks on that can handle mix surfaces.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
2,941 Posts
Eh, I won't hold it against you.

As for your bike... that's a not-quite-road bike, isn't it?

·
Registered
500 Posts
Eh, I won't hold it against you.

As for your bike... that's a not-quite-road bike, isn't it?
I rode a century a couple years ago with a guy that was riding a cx bike with knobbies and smaller chain rings, but held an impressive pace with the rest of us. I'd say it qualifies ;)

·
Registered
12 Posts
15 year old Specialized Allez A1 Sport...
The only thing left on mine of the original is the frame. Everything else has been replaced/upgraded.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I rode a century a couple years ago with a guy that was riding a cx bike with knobbies and smaller chain rings, but held an impressive pace with the rest of us. I'd say it qualifies ;)
With road tires & 28mm tires, I have no issues keeping pace on the road with my Boone

·
Super Moderator
2,941 Posts
I'm glad you brought this thread back up because...

I recently have been eyeing this...

Trek Checkpoint gravel bike
https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/bikes/road-bikes/checkpoint/checkpoint-alr-4/p/1380000-2019/?colorCode=black

I've always been intrigued by the smoothness and light weight of a roadbike, but have been very unwilling to get one due to most being extremely specialized and smooth-pavement specific. However, with today's selection of cyclocross and gravel bikes, I have reconsidered the thought.

Any pointers for someone who is used to 26" mountain bikes and a 700c mountain bike-biased hybrid bike?

·
Registered
15 Posts
One of my coworkers got a Checkpoint frame as soon as they were available. It’s a cool bike. It’ll fit 45mm tires, so it can handle light MTB trails. It has the same wheelbase as the Crockett/Boone, but slightly lower B.B., and slightly higher head tube. Most frames also fit 3 water bottles inside the main triangle.
I was tempted myself to sell my Boone, and get a Checkpoint, but
1 my Boone (upgrade from my Crockett)was my 50th birthday present
2 Katie Compton (one of the designers, and 13 time consecutive National Champ) signed the top tube.
I’m a big fan of gravel/Cyclocross bikes for hybrid use.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts