Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

201 - 220 of 252 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Traded in a 2014 Nissan Frontier. Really hated that truck :mad:, was the worst vehicle purchase I'd made in year. Unfortunately I took a hit on the trade as well. :eek:

Really in a good place now with my Crosstrek though. :)

·
Super Moderator
352 Posts
Traded in a 2014 Nissan Frontier. Really hated that truck :mad:, was the worst vehicle purchase I'd made in year. Unfortunately I took a hit on the trade as well. :eek:

Really in a good place now with my Crosstrek though. :)

May I ask why you hated the Frontier so much? Reason I ask is because my brother is looking for a truck (he works construction) and found a good deal on a 2009 4x4 King Cab with low miles. He's apprehensive because he wants a diesel, but was considering it for the price. Are there any red flags?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
60 Posts
traded a 2013 CX5 in for the 2015 crosstrek. Little bit more roomy in the cabin, little quarks about the CX5 that annoyed, and price wise with no money out of pocket we jumped from one to the other. CX5 wasn't horrible car by any stretch, but having a lot more fun in the subie now.

·
Registered
80 Posts
May I ask why you hated the Frontier so much? Reason I ask is because my brother is looking for a truck (he works construction) and found a good deal on a 2009 4x4 King Cab with low miles. He's apprehensive because he wants a diesel, but was considering it for the price. Are there any red flags?

Well it was a bunch of little things:

- 14 MPG (AFTER break-in period)
- Yesterday's technology, today (OK maybe not a big deal with your brother but on a 2014 it was to me)
- Air bubble in coolant line = little to no heat until truck was moving in blistering cold winter
- Rotors needed cut at 6000 miles! WTF!!!
- Poor resale (Again unlikely an issue for your brother)

I'm not the only one unhappy with the Nissan Frontier. Check out this recent YouTube video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IrOjBX85lmY

As a used vehicle, this might not be a bad truck for your brother. It sucks as a new vehicle and, as you can see from the video, I'm not the only one trading them in early. Oh and don't even get me started on the dealerships... :mad:

·
Registered
60 Posts
that really strange. Every nissan we have owned has been nothing short of a pleasure to own. Never had a frontier and well... we don't get rust without really trying either so maybe that has something to do with it.

·
Registered
50 Posts
traded a 2013 CX5 in for the 2015 crosstrek. Little bit more roomy in the cabin, little quarks about the CX5 that annoyed, and price wise with no money out of pocket we jumped from one to the other. CX5 wasn't horrible car by any stretch, but having a lot more fun in the subie now.
Did you have the AWD model?

·
Registered
80 Posts
My wife had a Frontier for 10 months. After 4 months there was so much rust on the underside it was scary. Even the chrome bumpers were rusting.
I had mine undercoated but will admit having concerns with the bumpers. The sheet metal on the rear bumper was paper thin and seemed inappropriate in a modern truck.

The Frontier hasn't been redesigned in over 10 years and in some ways was left behind in technological advances. I work with guys that have RAM heavy duty trucks, 2500s, that are getting better MPGs than I was getting in that tiny truck. A redesign would likely resolve a lot of issues and is sorely needed at this point.

Buying that truck wasn't the worst decision I'd ever made in my life, but is likely in the top 10... :eek:

·
Registered
5 Posts
I traded in a 2015 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited for a 2015 XV and don't have an ounce of regret. I love the gas mileage and the comfort. The only thing I lost was the ability to really go off-roading but the Jeep was my daily driver and I really am not interested in tearing up my daily driver. Plus I am on the highway way more than I am off-roading.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I traded in a 2015 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited for a 2015 XV and don't have an ounce of regret. I love the gas mileage and the comfort. The only thing I lost was the ability to really go off-roading but the Jeep was my daily driver and I really am not interested in tearing up my daily driver. Plus I am on the highway way more than I am off-roading.
Interesting how many Jeep owners move to a Crosstrek. I traded a 2014 Rubicon. I lost the depreciation but it was a good swap. I really like the Crosstrek but I am having some separation anxiety from my Jeep. The damn thing went everywhere, it just wasn't a pleasure getting there.

·
Super Moderator
352 Posts
Interesting how many Jeep owners move to a Crosstrek. I traded a 2014 Rubicon. I lost the depreciation but it was a good swap. I really like the Crosstrek but I am having some separation anxiety from my Jeep. The damn thing went everywhere, it just wasn't a pleasure getting there.

I have a friend with a 2014 Rubicon. He always says, "It'll get you anywhere you wanna go... as long as theirs a repair shop on the way!"

·
Registered
5 Posts
I really thought I would miss my Jeep, but I haven't even had a second thought about it. Plus I can always talk the doors off my XV if I want. Of course I will be back on the forum trying to find help putting the doors back on. LOL

·
Registered
3 Posts
Kept The 92 Chevy Truck

Kept the old truck for hauling firewood. Glad we did as our first snow this year was over a foot. Love the Crosstrek for what its designed for but its not a truck.

92 Chev 2500 gets 18mpg

Crosstrek is getting 35 mpg highway..

·
Registered
19 Posts
Kept the old truck for hauling firewood. Glad we did as our first snow this year was over a foot. Love the Crosstrek for what its designed for but its not a truck.

92 Chev 2500 gets 18mpg

Crosstrek is getting 35 mpg highway..

I don't know how you guys get that kind of mileage. I just finished a 2775 mile road trip from SoCal up,thru,around Oregon and back averaged 28.8. Beats my 10 mpg FJC so I'm still warm& fuzzy.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Another jeep owner trading in for a 2016 Crosstrek limited with nav and moon roof. I have owned 4 jeeps since 2007. 2 Tj's and 2 Jk's. My current jk unlimited is a 2013 with 2.5" tera flex lift, aev wheels, arb bumpers front and rear, arb air lockers with an arb air compressor mounted in the back of my jeep. 35" duratracs, 4.56 gears and a 10,000 waterproof winch with synthetic line. Oh and 13.5 miles to the gallon. This jeep will go any were for sure, but I don't seem to have time to take it offroad and use the jeep as it should be used. Instead its being used to cart my kids around. I am keeping my lifted TJ so i will still own a jeep. Looking forward to the better ride of the crosstrek and the gas mileage that everyone is raving about. My crosstrek should be here next week.

·
Super Moderator
2,941 Posts
It blows my mind how many Jeepers we have on the forum!

Welcome to the club cb2bfit! I hope the Crosstrek will provide you a better balance of on-road manners, competent pavement handling, light off-road capability, and significantly improved fuel efficiency as an excellent daily driver. I'm presuming I've guessed right? Or were there other reasons why you got the Subaru Crosstrek?

201 - 220 of 252 Posts