1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
820 Posts
These are just for show Avimia. Designed to produce the sound of blowing off the pressure of a NOS system....I've seen a couple at car shows...young dudes love em. If there's a "real" purpose for them, I am unaware of it.

·
Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks RS, figured this was the case, but checking so I didn't miss something out there.

I can certainly think of better ways to blow off steam than letting my car do it. hahahaha!

·
Registered
800 Posts
RubySu said:
These are just for show Avimia. Designed to produce the sound of blowing off the pressure of a NOS system....I've seen a couple at car shows...young dudes love em. If there's a "real" purpose for them, I am unaware of it.
I didnt know there was a product for mimic-ing the sound. Im unsure as to why anyone would decide to pay $80 for that...

·
Registered
820 Posts
Some also emit water? as part of the visual drama.

·
Registered
714 Posts
Yay drama! I'm amazed at what people will do to make their cars look/sound cool with no regards for actual performance. I guess everyone has a style though but I'll never really understand "stance" or whatever the cool new term is. I can't imagine putting thousands of dollars into suspension and even more on a set of wheels just so you can drag the frame on the ground and have a bigger lip on your rims than the other guy. I've seen the money poured into some of those cars and you could make one hell of a vehicle with that cash.

·
Registered
820 Posts
Twist2Stop said:
You guys sure? Seems like it could be used to cool an intercooler, radiator or condenser.
No- not completely. I've only seen them used outside of the car near front tires as a show piece. I think there are more complex derivatives that are used to do as you suggest but these are for posers who like to hear the blowoff noise. That's what I've seen them used for though I think a more purposeful reason does exist. Maybe you've seen them used for a more mechanical purpose? Like I said, I'm not 100 % sure at all.

·
Registered
714 Posts
There are systems like these designed to cool an intercooler but they usually incorporate multiple nozzles or a bar with multiple holes in it to cover the full intercooler. Those systems use much nicer pumps and parts and cost quite a bit more than these things do.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I've seen steam locomotives do this, in fact I went to post a pic of one doing just that but the file was too large.

·
Registered
714 Posts
Nitrous purges are a necessary part of any nitrous system, they are used to clear any condensation from the lines before the system is used (and sometimes they're just used to show off ::) ). The item the OP posted basically mimics that using water vapor! So you look cool without the cost!

·
Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
+1 to Subir_roo for being our resident Subie tech expert! Such a wonderful wealth of auto and Subie knowledge you have! I find I check out the boards numerous times a day just so I can get my daily dose of Subie technical training! Hehehe.

Keep 'em coming Subir! You rock!!

·
Registered
714 Posts
I'll dump as much knowledge and information here for you as I possibly can! ;D
Always glad to help!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts