Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK So I have had my Crosstrek for 4 days 188 miles on it now.

So far I like;

Gas mileage,
Ride
Seats
Head Room
Interior finish
Bells and whistles

One thing I don't like:

It has been raining non stop in the Pacific North West all week. The configuration and shape of the windshield wipers, especially the passengers side one is really annoying.

The base of the wipers is over to the left of the car in front of the driver. The right hand wiper arm is longer than the left with a really weird bend in it so that it doesn't go off the windshield when it is being used. :mad: I find that when they are in operation the two arms are too close together and the right hand one with the bend in it is very distracting and annoying. :(It's not too bad on intermittent, but horrible on the highway in continuos use.

Just my 2 cents so far.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
What I also like.

Forgot to mention: the hill hold or whatever it is called with the standard transmission.

The hill hold on my Crosstrek is great. I didn't even realise it had it until I started off at a green light halfway up a hill. I had to go around & up the hill to try it again. Excellent feature :D

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
Got said:
OK So I have had my Crosstrek for 4 days 188 miles on it now.

So far I like;

Gas mileage,
Ride
Seats
Head Room
Interior finish
Bells and whistles

One thing I don't like:

It has been raining non stop in the Pacific North West all week. The configuration and shape of the windshield wipers, especially the passengers side one is really annoying.

The base of the wipers is over to the left of the car in front of the driver. The right hand wiper arm is longer than the left with a really weird bend in it so that it doesn't go off the windshield when it is being used. :mad: I find that when they are in operation the two arms are too close together and the right hand one with the bend in it is very distracting and annoying. :(It's not too bad on intermittent, but horrible on the highway in continuos use.

Just my 2 cents so far.
Very interesting about the windshield wipers and sadly sounds like there is nothing that can be done with it. Maybe in their next one they will fix it.

Overall it sounds like you're enjoying the Crosstrek, though.

Also, I went ahead and merged your other post with this one since they are along the same lines.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well I have the manual. I have never owned a car with auto transmission. The gas mileage is better with CVT because of the 60/40 power split as I understand it. If it is only 2 miles per gallon you have to do a lot of mileage before you break even on the extra cost for the CVT.

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
Got said:
Well I have the manual. I have never owned a car with auto transmission. The gas mileage is better with CVT because of the 60/40 power split as I understand it. If it is only 2 miles per gallon you have to do a lot of mileage before you break even on the extra cost for the CVT.
I agree. I have owned two manual and two auto cars. I enjoy driving manual a lot more and definitely prefer the Crosstrek in a 5-speed, but I live in Los Angeles where stop-and-go traffic is a huge issue so I am not sure if I want to be switching gears.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have a CVT in our Outback. My daily driver is an EVO X GSR. I find the CVT to be very good at making a 4 banger seem stronger than it really is since it is always in the sweet spot. I think at this power range, I would get the CVT without hesitation. The limits of a 5 speed in todays market where 6 speed manuals are the norm and 7-8 speed automatics are more prevalant, a 5 speed manual is archaic in terms of technology.

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
dboz said:
I have a CVT in our Outback. My daily driver is an EVO X GSR. I find the CVT to be very good at making a 4 banger seem stronger than it really is since it is always in the sweet spot. I think at this power range, I would get the CVT without hesitation. The limits of a 5 speed in todays market where 6 speed manuals are the norm and 7-8 speed automatics are more prevalant, a 5 speed manual is archaic in terms of technology.
An Evo X, eh? How is it when you drive your Outback immediately after the Evo? Do you feel like you're in a slug?

·
Registered
10 Posts
LOL, actually, I look forward to driving the OB. It is smooth and quiet. The X is a million vibrations and rides hard. Yeah, you don't want to try to out accelerate anyone in the OB. I do like that about my X, no issues in passing situations with that car......;D

·
Registered
16 Posts
I fully agree with Got One regarding the wipers and the seats. I'm in a similar situation as one person posted except the Crosstrek is my daily driver and I own an Infiniti G as my pleasure ride. If I'm going on a long distance road trip I'm definitely taking the G but for puddle jumping around town the Crosstrek is definitely my ride of choice. If you are constantly getting in and out of the vehicle, the Crosstrek's ride height is a major plus!

·
Registered
70 Posts
CTCrosstrek said:
I fully agree with Got One regarding the wipers and the seats. I'm in a similar situation as one person posted except the Crosstrek is my daily driver and I own an Infiniti G as my pleasure ride. If I'm going on a long distance road trip I'm definitely taking the G but for puddle jumping around town the Crosstrek is definitely my ride of choice. If you are constantly getting in and out of the vehicle, the Crosstrek's ride height is a major plus!
if you didnt have the option of the G would you think the Crosstrek makes a BAD long-distance car, or do you just prefer the G over the Crosstrek (which makes sense)...i am interested because I am getting a crosstrek after the new year but i drive a lot of long-distance and I don't want it to be terrible on those types of trips...

thanks!

·
Registered
16 Posts
By no means is the Crosstrek a 'bad' long distance driver. I'm a pretty good sized guy and for me the seats are a tad on the small side. However, I've been on some long distance rides in the Crosstrek and it performs admirably. If I were going on a ski trip and there was even the slightest chance of getting caught in a storm, even though my G has AWD I would still opt for my Crosstrek. There is also the added incentive that I can get at least 13 more mpg on the highway than with the G. The Crosstrek has a solid comfortable ride, manageable noise suppression, and while the engine won't win any dashes to the front of the merging lane it has enough power to get the job done.

I checked out many makes and models before choosing the Crosstrek. Some were less expensive, some were more luxurious, but none had more bang for the buck.

BTW, I have the Premium model with just a few add ons like wheel locks, all weather mats, bumper guard, and rear seat back protectors.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I have the base model. Nothing fancy, I haven't been on a long drive yet. The longest so far is only 1 1/2 hours and the seats were OK. We have had nothing but rain since I got my Crosstrek and it is the windshield wipers that i really dislike. In fact I hate the way they are designed. I find them really distracting, perhaps it's just me.

·
Registered
16 Posts
You aren't alone in your dislike of the wipers. I feel the same. The passenger side wiper's arc stops and leaves a mark on the windshield right in my line of sight. I don't know if its a quirk with Subaru but my Tribeca did the same thing.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I like everything so far...I'm not used to the noise yet. I'm assuming it's aerodynamic noise cause it becomes more pronounced as I go faster. I've had mine a little over a week and put 450 miles.

About Average MPG. I took it out of the dealership at 34 miles. Trip A Average MPG read 12 MPG. By the time I was ready to gas up, I had 30 miles left in the tank and the Average MPG was 24.3 MPG. Ugggh! And it was mostly highway miles I put in there.

I filled up and now my Avergage MPG is at 39 MPG after 60 miles (it was at 40 before I pulled in my driveway). WOW! Does this mean I will be able to sustain this with smart driving?

What caused that very low average in its first tank of gas? Did it idle a lot in the dealership? Question, questions. But my 2nd tank is looking very promising.

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
XVEwing said:
I like everything so far...I'm not used to the noise yet. I'm assuming it's aerodynamic noise cause it becomes more pronounced as I go faster. I've had mine a little over a week and put 450 miles.

About Average MPG. I took it out of the dealership at 34 miles. Trip A Average MPG read 12 MPG. By the time I was ready to gas up, I had 30 miles left in the tank and the Average MPG was 24.3 MPG. Ugggh! And it was mostly highway miles I put in there.

I filled up and now my Avergage MPG is at 39 MPG after 60 miles (it was at 40 before I pulled in my driveway). WOW! Does this mean I will be able to sustain this with smart driving?

What caused that very low average in its first tank of gas? Did it idle a lot in the dealership? Question, questions. But my 2nd tank is looking very promising.
Someone smarter than me can correct me if I am wrong, but I believe it is true with any new car that you won't really get optimal performance in gas mileage as well as horsepower/torque until around 1,000 miles on the engine. It takes a little bit of time for everything to 'break in'.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts