Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, as a new owner (get it thursday) I began to think of the other cars I looked at; Mazda CX-5 mainly, i would have looked at the new Jeep Cherokee too if it were out yet. I had looked at the new Escape and then the Infiniti. But i wanted gas mileage so the Infiniti was definitely out.

In the end it was the CX5 vs the XV.

anyone else?

·
Registered
66 Posts
The other car that I was considering was the Hyundai Veloster. I haven't owned a sports car in a while so it was tempting. Inexpensive, good MPG, hatchback with cargo space if needed and I would probably had gotten a good/better deal on my trade-in, 2008 Hyundai Tucson.

But for a little more I got a much more reliable car, just as good mileage and AWD. Plus, I have been wanting to get a Subaru for a long time.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Like Hector I also considered the Hyundai Veloster. I really the Remix Edition. I also considered the Mazda 3, Audi A3, and the Jeep Wrangler Unlimited. I also was looking for MPG and dependability so I bought a Subaru.

·
Registered
224 Posts
I only considered another Subaru. I set out to get a Impreza Outback Sport to replace my 07 one. However, they took the "Outback" out of the 2012-13 Impreza and left the sport.

In an "aha" moment, I realized that Subaru had indeed continued the Impreza Outback Sport model, just that it is now called the Crosstrek XV. In fact the 8.7 clearance was a welcomed upgrade from my 07.

Subaru is just making the kind of car I need. If I lived in an area with little/no weather, perhaps I'd look at other makes.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I had a deposit on an Impreza Sport until I saw a Crosstrek on the road. The next day I called and switched to the Crosstrek. Besides Subaru the top contenders were the Mazda CX-5 (close second), the Mini Cooper Countryman All4 (blast to drive but pricey and has questionable long term reliability) and the Ford Escape (nice but pricey).

Subaru's AWD system, reputation, value and the looks of the Crosstrek sealed the deal.

·
Registered
142 Posts
So this was the first year that my wife and I both got new cars at around the same time. When she was looking (she was replacing her 2004 Outback) she looked at the Outbacks, the CX5, the Escape and a myriad of other vehicles. She liked the CX5 and the Escape and ended up with the Escape because of the power and truly the niceness of the vehicle. The Escape Titanium is a nice car, no doubt. Then when it was my turn, I was replacing my Jeep TJ so I looked at the Mazda 3 Hatchback and the Crosstrek. I am glad I got my Crosstrek, I love my car. The mileage on the Escape is very good on the highway and the power is great for a little 4 cylinder. My Crosstrek is perfect for me, I think the CVT makes up for the smaller horsepower output and I love the practicality of my car. I think we both did well.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Mazda CX-5
Nissan Juke
Honda Fit
Suzuki SX4
Mitsubishi Outlander

The CX-5 needed lots of upgrades for me including AWD and roof rack, making the price high. It was the only other car I actually negotiated for after test driving (and ultimately decided to wait 6 months until I could see and drive the XV). The Juke was too small to be practical but great fun to drive. Fit and SX4 also suffered from a cramped interior IMHO. Outlander was nixed because of rumors at the time that Mitsubishi was pulling out of the US market.

Obviously, the XV won, best value for the money and the standard features of the Premium model (adding CVT) ticked all my boxes.

·
Registered
500 Posts
I'd originally looked for a Subaru Baja just because I liked the style. After ruling that out (difficult finding one with low mileage and/or reasonably priced), I'd done enough research on Subaru to know I wanted to stick with Subie. From that point it came down to finding the right compromise between style, fuel efficiency, and practicality. The XV won out over the Impreza Sport and Outback (in that order).

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
I looked at getting a 4-door Tacoma, a used WRX, and a Wrangler Unlimited (four door).

The Tacoma would be awesome but I decided it was too big around the LA area. I have always loved Wranglers but thought I couldn't justify the gas mileage for the light-offroading I would be able to do. I've owned a WRX before and it was a blast, but the new ones were a bit out of my price range and I also didn't know if I wanted to deal with a manual transmission in LA traffic.

In the end, I obviously went with the Crosstrek. Sure, sometimes I think it was as sporty as a WRX or as aggressive off-road as a Wrangler, but I am happy with the balance it brings me.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Only other vehicle I was considering was a Toyota FJ cruiser trail teams edition. I wanted something that could go off road and could get me out on the beach fishing and tow a four wheeler. I drove the FJ and loved it, but it only got 17-21mpg. That was only about 3 mpg better than the Escalade I had. So, my ah-hah moment was when I started watching all these videos about the crosstrek, showing them going off road in mud, in sand, and did just as good as trucks. Oh... and it was 11k cheaper!!!

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
coreybarnett said:
Only other vehicle I was considering was a Toyota FJ cruiser trail teams edition. I wanted something that could go off road and could get me out on the beach fishing and tow a four wheeler. I drove the FJ and loved it, but it only got 17-21mpg. That was only about 3 mpg better than the Escalade I had. So, my ah-hah moment was when I started watching all these videos about the crosstrek, showing them going off road in mud, in sand, and did just as good as trucks. Oh... and it was 11k cheaper!!!
I forgot about the FJ! I also considered one but couldn't do the price or MPG.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Originally looking at the regular 4 door Impreza because it gets up 36mpg on the highway, but couldn't resist the good looks & added height with the XV. Also considered a Prius-just don't really like the way they look. Loving the XV, but now look - gas is going back up.

·
Registered
74 Posts
coreybarnett said:
We had an FJ - loved that vehicle - I call my XV the baby FJ ::)

·
Registered
354 Posts
We test drove the mazda 3 & the mazda CX5 but after driving the XV there was no comparison for us, we loved the XV! Plus the mazda dealership wanted to sell us what was on the lot...not what we actually wanted. Don't have any regrets....LOVE OUR XV!

·
Registered
164 Posts
I wanted AWD and a petrol engine. So that left me with the CX5 or XV to choose from.
Without the AWD requirement, I'd have thrown the Mazda 6 and Mitsubishi Lancer in there as well but I probably still would've gone with the XV. The Lancer is bargain though...

·
Registered
77 Posts
I'm still driving my 03 Forester, but seriously considering a Golf TDI or the XV Crosstrek. A turbo diesel in the Subaru would make it a no-brainer!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Great replies, very interesting that most came down to the same 2 or 3 cars.

Anyone else ever consider waiting for the new Jeep Cherokee?

I admit, it looks pretty good. But the reliability of the Jeep concerned me.

Some mentioned the FJ, which is probably what I've wanted for a long time. Problem is the gas mileage would kill me driving 35,000 miles a year.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.