Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just called my dealership and asked when they could and how much an oil change is. The answer was $70.95. If must be liquid gold or a platinum filter.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
318 Posts
My Tribeca is 7 quarts of conventional and its around $30 at the dealership. XV is 5 quarts syn at over $70. I change it myself (and slice my hand). So the dealer's greed has cost them my 5w30 business as well even though I still buy my filters and crush washers from them.

Never ever ever go to a JiffyLube or the like.

·
Super Moderator
2,941 Posts
Despite the cost to the consumer, most automotive repair facilities don't actually make much money off of oil changes.

Oil changes are usually an entryway to look for things that may need servicing on your vehicle. As for the price, I think its primarily due to the cost of Subaru's synthetic engine oil, which is around $6-8 a U.S. quart, and the labor cost.

* $30-48 for engine oil
* $7-10 for the engine oil filter
* $50 labor hours charge (let's assume $100 per labor hour, and 0.5 labor hours listed for an oil change)

$87-108 for an oil change service based off of those rough estimates.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Despite the cost to the consumer, most automotive repair facilities don't actually make much money off of oil changes.

Oil changes are usually an entryway to look for things that may need servicing on your vehicle. As for the price, I think its primarily due to the cost of Subaru's synthetic engine oil, which is around $6-8 a U.S. quart, and the labor cost.

* $30-48 for engine oil
* $7-10 for the engine oil filter
* $50 labor hours charge (let's assume $100 per labor hour, and 0.5 labor hours listed for an oil change)

$87-108 for an oil change service based off of those rough estimates.
Not to mention the engine requires 0W-20 which is more expensive because of the cost to refine it. I looked into the math and it all makes sense, not that it makes it any easier. Even if I do it myself it's around $50 for the oil and the filter.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
0W-20 is still a standard. I can get 5 quarts of 0W-20 Royal Purple full syn for $40 and Mobil 1 for just under $30. I am sure the dealership isn't using that kind of quality. I still don't have a clue what could be so special about this engine that Subaru claims,

"The procedure for changing the engine oil and oil filter should be performed by a properly-trained expert. It is recommended
that you have this service performed by your SUBARU dealer."

Jiffy Lube, Sears, Midas, Brakes Plus etc . . . change a billion car's oil a year. They all do it for a third of what was quoted at the dealership. I understand paying the difference for full Syn, but $70? Are they not qualified? It should only require competence and isn't normally rocket science or brain surgery to change the oil on a car.

Subaru also wants some specific Subaru coolant. I find this pretty bogus that they don't even list a standard for comparable aftermarket equivalents.

·
Super Moderator
2,941 Posts
0W-20 is still a standard. I can get 5 quarts of 0W-20 Royal Purple full syn for $40 and Mobil 1 for just under $30. I am sure the dealership isn't using that kind of quality. I still don't have a clue what could be so special about this engine that Subaru claims,

"The procedure for changing the engine oil and oil filter should be performed by a properly-trained expert. It is recommended

Jiffy Lube, Sears, Midas, Brakes Plus etc . . . change a billion car's oil a year. They all do it for a third of what was quoted at the dealership. I understand paying the difference for full Syn, but $70? Are they not qualified? It should only require competence and isn't normally rocket science or brain surgery to change the oil on a car.

Subaru also wants some specific Subaru coolant. I find this pretty bogus that they don't even list a standard for comparable aftermarket equivalents.
The "properly-trained expert" text is simply to cover themselves legally, at least that's what I believe they put that there for. But also, I think its supposed to deter those who are not mechanically inclined to attempt an engine oil change. Yes, its easy for us DIY'ers but not everybody knows what goes on in a vehicle.

As for cost of the service, a typical quick oil change place is geared specifically for quick engine oil changes. A dealership representing a car manufacturer likely pays more to its technicians, and also is designed to do far more than a quick oil change place can be used for. Paying the operating costs of a little quick lube vs a dealership is obviously going to have a gap.

Practically every automobile manufacturer, not just Subaru, specifies its own proprietary antifreeze/coolant mixture. The engineers of manufacturers design everything to work together. Although the majority of engines now use aluminum blocks and heads, the manufacturer engineers are the ones that know the fine properties that make a antifreeze/coolant mixture optimal for specific engine designs and materials. Yes, a generic antifreeze/coolant mixture will function, but it likely won't work best or last as long compared to what the engine was specifically designed to use.

·
Registered
811 Posts

There is not a quick change place that I know of that will change your oil using full synthetic for one third of $70. The price will be similar if not more.

·
Registered
169 Posts
You guys oughta come to Alberta and see how much the stealerships charge !! LOL
The last time i took my car in it was 148 dollars for an A service which is just a glorified oil change.
thats why i do it myself. I buy the oil filter from Subaru and it is 70 bucks for Mobil 1 synthetic oil but still way cheaper than the stealership....

·
Registered
123 Posts
I know this is an older thread but as I was reading through some of the older ones and found this and there were a few things that I had to add just because I found it relevant to the conversation in case someone else came across this who is debating the use of any quick oil change place vs. Subaru dealership vs. doing it yourself.

A few things to remember.

1. Unless you personally bring a Subaru oil filter (that you've purchased for approx. 7.00) to the quick oil change franchise of your choice they will use whatever brand of filter they use and that is not ok!!!! As AWDfreak has pointed out in other threads Subaru requires very specific oil filter specifications and not all oil filters meet these requirements. So even if they use synthetic oil you may be damaging your engine in the long run. If you bring them a filter you've bought from Subaru for $7.00 they will probably still charge you for their filter making it more costly.

2. The fast oil change chain of your choice often does not have the buy in of your vehicle manufacturer technicians. So there is always the risk that they will strip out or overtighten your oil drain plug and not care. Whereas your Subaru dealership technicians will stand by the recorded maintenance they have conducted on your vehicle.

3. Subaru will utilize 0w20 synthetic oil and an OEM filter on your crosstrek. You can choose whichever brand of oil you want if you do your own oil change and if you have a preference (I use Mobile 1 0w20 advanced technology synthetic and an OEM Subaru filter). Your local quick oil change place is using whatever proprietary oil usually from bulk drums and you are trusting that they are using 0w20 synthetic called for by Subaru. But in the end, they may not be using quality oil at all.

If you take your car to Subaru then yes it may cost 75.00-100.00 for an oil change but you are getting the ease of not doing the oil change yourself, manufacturer backed service and quality, OEM oil filter and whatever proprietary oil Subaru uses but atleast its going to be 0w20 Synthetic oil.

If you change your own oil you get the peace of mind that the oil change was done correctly, you get to examine the undercarriage of your vehicle and you can verify there are no other areas in need of care, you get to choose the filter and oil (should be using a filter and oil that meets subarus specifications called out in the owners manual). If you have a favorite brand oil then great you can buy in bulk and maybe it will be cheaper than Subaru maybe not. For me here is what I pay...

$7.00 OEM oil filter
$1.00 oil drain plug crush ring.
$22.00 - $28.00 5qts Mobile 1 advanced technology 0w20 synthetic oil from Walmart.
15 minutes of my time.

Quick oil change chain of your choice. You are paying maybe 35.00 - maybe as much as Subaru charges depending on the options you ask for and you are getting an unknown quality oil that is proprietary to the change no matter if it is synthetic or not, you are getting the chains proprietary brand filter (which probably does not meet Subaru specifications and could damage your engine), and service from a technician that may not care about the quality of work he or she does.

I am not saying a quick oil change chain is bad in all cases but if you are serious about maintaining your car properly you have to weigh the cost of doing it right. I think when taking your car to Subaru vs. doing it yourself vs. Oil change chain of your choice the cost difference is for your peace of mind and quality.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I pay $85 for Kendall GT-1 Full Synthetic oil from my instant oil change. Plus they charge extra for a Mobile 1 premium oil filter.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
19 Posts
Where are you folks buying you supplies?
My local Advanced auto has a special every month.
5qt Pennzoil full synthetic and a filter for +/-$29...add in the speed perks $5 off and I am out the door for less than $30 all in. 15 -20 min of my time and I am done...and I know it's done right. I drive 25k-30k miles a year so I pretty much have to do it myself or I would go broke in oil changes.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I can only make recommendations based off the knowledge I have and I am not one to say that any brand is better then another but I would caution using anything but an OEM subaru oil filter.
When I purchased my first oil filter and oil for my first oil change I figured more expensive meant better so I purchased the $13.00 Mobile 1 Advanced technology synthetic oil filter Part #:M1-108..... what I didn't do was know the facts first. So after joining club crosstrek and reading through some of the threads I found out that subarus require a very specific relief pressure within the oil filter. There is a very specific breakdown of various brands and their relief pressures. After reading these threads I tried to research the relief pressure of the mobile 1 oil filter and was unable to verify it's relief pressure. So it is possible that engine damage could occur with it. So I threw the filter away and went with the 7.00 subaru filter.

Again, I don't want to endorse any specific brand but in my case I use Mobile 1 oil and a subaru oil filter that I know meets subaru's very specific specifications for oil filter relief pressure.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I do my own, now that I own something that fits into my garage. I got 5qt Jug of Mobil 1 full synthetic from Wally World for under $30 and a Fram XG7317 "for synthetic" Filter for under $8... Crush washers from Amazon and 50 cents for kitty litter to soak up spilled oil and I'm still under $40. $70 seems a little ridiculous for a 5qt oil change at the dealer. When I had my '11 Ram Laramie, I used to get 4 Oil Change packages (at the Dodge Dealer), that included filter and full synthetic oil (all 7 qts for the Hemi) for under $130...

On a side note, how much torque is required to seat a crush ring on the drain plug? I'm fairly certain that the 3 foot half-inch drive breaker bar I needed to unseat the plug from the pan was some serious overkill. I want to add that I was changing oil at 9,000 miles as per the dealer applied windshield sticker. I'm assuming that when I bought my car at 4,100 miles (dealer demo/loaner) that they did the appropriate break-in and hopefully changed the oil before applying the sticker. Did I get the recent Tech-school grad using an Impact Gun to install the drain plug?

·
Registered
123 Posts
Jager- it sounds like the dealership way over tightened your drain plug. To answer your questions no you should not need a 3ft breaker bar to loosen the plug, you should only need a 3/8 inch ratchet and 17mm socket or simply a 17mm wrench. When tightening the plug with the new crush ring, I will hand tighten until the crush ring makes contact and then utilize the wrench to tighten the plug enough to crush the ring and make the plug snug. You can feel the ring give as it crushes.
If your dealership sticker said oil change at 9k miles I'd assume they changed the oil at somepoint, nothing you can do now besides change it at your regular interval out of the owners manual based on your driving style.
One point I would make is that you mentioned using a fram oil filter. You may take a look at other threads here on the club as there has been alot of discussion about oil filters on subaru engines. I would highly recommend utilizing an oem filter from subaru. Around $6.00 from subaru or amazon. The engines we have require the oil filter to have a very specific pressure relief setting (23psi I believe). Your frame filter may not meet that spec and could cause premature wear or particulate damage over time as your oil may bypass the filter if it has a lower relief pressure. If you have any questions I can find the thread that this was discussed in great detail.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Thanks Zero. I did replace the crush washer when I did my oil change. I am familiar with them from my old Eclipse, Mitsubishi uses them everywhere. I hand seated it, then gave the wrench about a 3/4 turn to compress it. No runs, no drips, no errors. I will be buying a few Subie filters for the home stockpile and swap out the Fram as soon as the shipment comes in. I have almost 60k miles left on my warranty and don't want to jeopardize that. I still love the top mount filter, what a great feature.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Jaeger- I agree about the top Mount filter. Really makes things easy. I always worry about debris falling in when I remove the filter so I clean it out real well before hand. But really is nice. This is my first Subaru so I'm still learning alot of the pros and cons.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts