Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

What To Do With The Rear Fog Light Panel?

25K views 54 replies 20 participants last post by  trouty15 
#1 ·
So on our US Crosstreks we have the small knock-out blank panel inserted into the bottom of the rear bumper where on foreign models they have a rear red fog lamp/light....what should we do with it? Cover it with a trailer hitch? I'm not personally into getting a hitch or installing a rear fog lamp and would prefer to keep the XV as stock as possible so I'm considering a badge of some sort. Any ideas or has anyone done anything unique?

#5 ·
Yes, the one CC posted is for the tow hook.

I think the one the OP is referring to is the larger one, center back. Outside the US, it has a real purpose. In the US do with it as you like; its only purpose is to avoid manufacturing a different bumper piece for US vehicles.

Personally I'll be putting my trailer hitch behind it and popping the cover off as needed. Appears stock when the hitch isn't needed as the cover pops back in and the hitch won't be seen. I can find and post the link to the hitch (no drilling required, I'm told) if anyone's interested.

I saw a picture of one had covered with a carbon fiber look. So there's that, if that's your kind of thing.

Some are ordering the fog light/reflector assembly.

#8 ·
This is the link to the hitch I ordered. Haven't yet received or installed it, so I can't speak to its quality or installation difficulty yet.

Due to where it mounts, though, it sets very close to the exhaust. The exhaust has to be pulled down to mount it, and you have to ensure anything you put in the hitch won't hit the exhaust, which won't be a big deal for my purposes. It has been enough to get some others to pass on this one in favor of the Curt, which can also be had for cheaper. But hey, you can buy the TL and the Curt and *still* pay less than you would for the factory hitch. I like the "stealthiness" of this one, however, and it should serve my purposes well.

http://shop.tlcentral.com/store/pc/2013+-Subaru-XV-Crosstrek-Invisi-Trailer-Hitch-2-p1088.htm

#12 ·
It's not for a reflector, as the name implies, international markets require a rear-fog light, something the United States does not require (but does allow).

See the difference between regular taillights and rear fog lights http://youtu.be/jINrFUW7MKk
Clearly, a rear fog light is much safer to run during inclement weather/conditions

Personally, I would try to retrofit a rear fog lamp that would fit into the panel. Something from KC HiLites or similar to get the safety advantage.

Maybe a custom XV badge could be a nice addition?

#14 ·
ClubCrosstrek said:
Thanks for sharing this. I never realized a rear fog light was a thing, let alone a requirement in some places. The more you know...
Both of my '82 Mercedes were set up for it & had the switch (you pulled out on the headlight knob, 1 click for front foglights, 2 clicks for front & rear) but it wasn't installed on US market cars.
The taillight housing had the hole for it & everything, but MB didn't run the wiring for it.

My grandmother's '07 S550 has it & it makes a big difference.
We drove her car from Houston to LA for Christmas twice & I'd have it on even in clear weather when we were in far West TX, just for the extra visibility. There's nearly no traffic out there at 11PM, but a huge car doing 95mph, I wanted to make sure I was plenty visible ;)

#17 ·
We source a lot of JDM parts where I work but not really for the newer models. It wouldn't cost too much to ship the factory fog light kit (light, mounts, wiring, etc.) from overseas. Just have to find someone who is willing to source it for you.

#18 ·
Subir_roo said:
We source a lot of JDM parts where I work but not really for the newer models. It wouldn't cost too much to ship the factory fog light kit (light, mounts, wiring, etc.) from overseas. Just have to find someone who is willing to source it for you.
I wonder what something like that would cost. Any rough guesstimates?

#19 ·
The rear sedan kits have been sourced by a few companies and seem to run around $200 plus shipping (rallysportdirect). I'd imagine the hatch kit would be similar in cost. Potentially it could even be the same part, that would not surprise me at all. Subaru regularly uses the same parts on different models, something to the effect of: "Hey, we still have a bunch of part-X laying around, lets just use those!" For example many of the early production 2003 model year WRXs still use the brakes from the 2002 WRX.

#20 ·
Subir_roo said:
Would the light knobs have to be modified/changed out completely? I can't help but imagine they would need to.

And the rear-fog light modification is DEFINITELY a modification I look forward to when I get an XV!

#22 ·
If you wanted to use it as a rear fog light you would have to change the knobs out and wire the new knob. The USDM harness most likely does not have the factory wiring for the rear fog. Seems like most people with the sedan kit wire it one of two ways. Either as the rear fog using a simple aftermarket switch (much easier than using the EDM switch and trying to mess with the OEM harness), or as a 4th brake light by just wiring directly into the brake like circuit.

#24 ·
HoustonXV said:
Do the Canadian models have the rear fog?
Might be cheaper to get from Subaru CA, than from Japan.

Also, slightly OT, is Canada RHD? If not, might be do-able to get CA headlights for HID conversions.
No, they too are LHD. I've driven around some parts of Canada (lovely country!) and it feels like a slightly-different USA.

Which means, yes, proper HID conversions (headlight assembly and all) :D

#25 ·
AWDfreak said:
No, they too are LHD. I've driven around some parts of Canada (lovely country!) and it feels like a slightly-different USA.

Which means, yes, proper HID conversions (headlight assembly and all) :D
Subaru Canada is overseen by Subaru USA. So any part number for a Canadian vehicle should be available through Subaru USA for the most part. Just need part numbers, I can check them for availability if anyone can find the correct numbers.

As for the rear fog, I do not think the Canadian market has them...

#26 ·
I got a good luck under another XV on the lift at work today. The rear fog light mount looks a heck of a lot like the one on the sedan models. I'm trying to find a sedan owner here to take the plug from their bumper and see if it is the same plug that's in ours. I really want to order the rear fog kit but pulling the trigger on $200 without being sure is a bit iffy...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.