Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a specific list of things I look for in a new vehicle which lead me to the XV as no other vehicle on the market answered. What specific things were your MUST HAVES?

I need a vehicle that can handle all weather long commute, half country roads and half city highways with bad winters and crazy summer storms. Here was my wish list:

1. Gas Mileage where I could average close to 30
2. AWD
3. 17" tires (so many models are now 18" tires, it gets costly as the size gets bigger and I like to replace my tires every 30,000 miles, almost once a year)
4. a Spare tire
5 Hatchback or Wagon...I despise trunks. I like the hatches to put saddles and horse feed in/out easily without lifting. Also for grocery shopping ease.
6. Affordable - MSRP well under 30K
7. A model or brand that is known for reliability.
8. A dealer located somewhere along my daily commute (or not far away from it)
9. HEATED seats...which i use year round to keep my back relaxed.
10. Styling that isn't too far out there and yet sporty and fresh. I think Crosstrek hit this on the head.
11 Fold FLAT back seats.
12 Ground clearance so I can get INTO the car not crawl down into it and then have to climb up out...this is hard on the old joints. LOL

I have studied cars for the past 6 months...as soon as I started reading about the XV last fall I was pretty sure it would be "the one"...Just picked it up yesterday...so now the next 6 months I see if I was right!

·
Registered
500 Posts
I'd originally wanted a Baja, but couldn't wait long enough to get a good one for a good price as my car had died.

After reading heavily on the Baja, my requirements became:

1) Subaru - for the safety features and reliability
2) Good fuel efficiency (30-ish mpg highway or better)
3) Somewhat appealing to the eye
4) not red
5) Manual transmission

with that I narrowed it down to the Impreza sport or the XV. I liked the thought of the extra ground clearance and towing capacity, so I went XV. The difference in fuel efficiency wasn't enough to bother me.

·
Registered
243 Posts
I didn't really have a list. My previous car was totaled and I had to get something quickly. I stumbled across the Crosstrek at the last minute and loved everything about it primarily:

1. It's a Subaru
2. AWD
3. Mileage
4. Ground clearance
5. Styling

My only concern was with the "underpowered" label it was getting in all the reviews. However, a quick test drive cleared that up. I loved the sharp handling (for a crossover) and could live with the power so it was a done deal at that point.

·
Registered
927 Posts
AWD, safe, reliable and economic

Most of all... Best looking cross-over yet!

Sent from my iPhone 4s using Tapatalk

·
Registered
111 Posts
My main thing was gas mileage and a sporty car. I was really leaning towards the 4 door gti but knew that reliability long-term wise was not great. Then I was thinking if I was going to go for power I should just go with the WRX. Then I wanted cargo space and thought of a used element. The mileage on that was, I think, 17/25 which is what my Outback Sport was getting. As much as I loved the space in the Element, I couldn't go with low mpg again.

So then I was thinking of the gti again and then thought, maybe the mazda3. My two previous cars were an 06 WRX and an 08 OBS and I just really love Subies now. So then I knew reliability is there for Subaru but the power was lacking. Then I really thought about it... I don't drive fast so do i really need a quick car?

I did research on the impreza sport and was pretty much sold on it. I loved the XV but was thinking I didn't need the raised suspension or beefy looking sides. Then I went to the dealership and compared- then fell in love with the XV.

So to answer the post, mpg was my main factor. Then it was the AWD and reliability of a Subaru.

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
I didn't really have a list, but I guess I subconsciously was looking for:

- Reliability
- AWD/4WD
- Decent gas mileage

I have had two Subaru's before and am definitely a fanboy, so I started looking at my options. I really want another WRX/STi but I didn't want to deal with manual transmission as my daily driver in this horrible traffic. I came across the Crosstrek and it offered everything I wanted + more and the rest is history!

·
Premium Member
2,941 Posts
I don't have an XV (but definitely a future customer), but these are some of the reasons why I eventually decided the XV was my next Subaru to get

• [li]a Subaru (I want the Subaru technology! ALL OF IT!!!)[/li]
    [li]supposedly fun to drive on or off-road (this was the most important factor for me)[/li]
    [li]high ground clearance for light off-road capability[/li]
    [li]manual transmission[/li]
    [li]compact (mid-size Outback is overkill for me[/li]
    [li]fuel efficiency[/li]

All these reasons... meant that the XV fit my lifestyle perfectly. I'm a bit of an adventurer and the XV is a perfect fit. Now all I need is the money to buy one...

·
Registered
800 Posts
Looks like I have a lot in common with what everyone else here was looking for:

• [li]AWD[/li]
    [li]Automatic (so wife could drive it when needed)[/li]
    [li]Decent clearance[/li]
    [li]Storage space[/li]
    [li]Folding rear seats[/li]
    [li]affordable[/li]
    [li]reliable[/li]
    [li]roof rails[/li]

·
Registered
603 Posts
High clearance, but easy to handle and see out of. second was goodies like nav, bluetooth, and then was leather interior.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Paintgirl said:
I have a specific list of things I look for in a new vehicle which lead me to the XV as no other vehicle on the market answered. What specific things were your MUST HAVES?

I need a vehicle that can handle all weather long commute, half country roads and half city highways with bad winters and crazy summer storms. Here was my wish list:

1. Gas Mileage where I could average close to 30
2. AWD
3. 17" tires (so many models are now 18" tires, it gets costly as the size gets bigger and I like to replace my tires every 30,000 miles, almost once a year)
4. a Spare tire
5 Hatchback or Wagon...I despise trunks. I like the hatches to put saddles and horse feed in/out easily without lifting. Also for grocery shopping ease.
6. Affordable - MSRP well under 30K
7. A model or brand that is known for reliability.
8. A dealer located somewhere along my daily commute (or not far away from it)
9. HEATED seats...which i use year round to keep my back relaxed.
10. Styling that isn't too far out there and yet sporty and fresh. I think Crosstrek hit this on the head.
11 Fold FLAT back seats.
12 Ground clearance so I can get INTO the car not crawl down into it and then have to climb up out...this is hard on the old joints. LOL

I have studied cars for the past 6 months...as soon as I started reading about the XV last fall I was pretty sure it would be "the one"...Just picked it up yesterday...so now the next 6 months I see if I was right!
This pretty much nails it. I've owned dozens of cars and the XV just struck me as all around convenient, and it was cheap. It saves me two to three grand a year over my GLK. It was gonna need a grand worth of tires at 25K miles, and it averaged 18.5mpg over 20K miles on premium.

That it was all wheel drive was just a bonus for me, I would have been fine with fwd. The XV does NOT drive like a fwd car, so that is also a bonus.

One thing I don't like are the hollow doors. I'm going to have to glue some dynamat in them around the handles or something, it's like a tin can. Everything else about the car is solid.

The OP must have paint horses. My ex had a 'show-girl' in WA. Very nice horse. I grew up riding horses.

·
Registered
17 Posts
For me I was looking for the following:

AWD
gas economy
Reliability
Cargo space and access
Cool styling
Reasonable price

I found that and much more with the Crosstrek!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts